Anybody have a Nokia N95?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Just picked one up unlocked. Been playing around with it and am thinking about changing my AT&T data connect plan over. Before I pull the trigger, I want to make sure it can do what I want it to. I don't talk a whole lot (maybe 250 minutes a month), but I am usually over 1000 txt messages and frequently browse the web on it. I would also like to be able to tether it to my computer. Can I do all these things with it? What all would I need to get on the plan and about how much am I looking to pay?

2. xivera

xivera Active Member

I have one and, I don't talk much as well.
    You can do what you mentioned above with the N95.

my recommendation:
    cheapest voice plan (required): ATT Nation 450 ~ $40/mo
    unlimited internet: MEdia Net Unlimited for $15/mo
    TXTing package: 1500 for $15/mo (FYI... Unlimited TXT = $20)

I pay under $90 for voice, unlimited TXTing & unlimited internet... including fees, etc.

The N95 can tether in a few ways: wifi, bluetooth and USB.
    Which will you use?

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

xivera I'd check your local AT&T store for their latest plans. I was in one the other day asking someone about plans for the N95 I was talking to you about, and he handed me some papers he had on the counter there and for $90 you get 900 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited (5GB) internet. I think the 450 minute package was like $70 or maybe $75.

4. xivera

xivera Active Member

Oh, Unity Plans... useful but, I first signed up for the 450 min package 5 months ago.

5. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

USB will be the primary connection. I could go Bluetooth in a pinch.

The lowest plan I saw on the site was a 400 (or so) minutes with 5000 night and weekend (thats plenty too). Was going to go with the other choices mentioned above too and maybe upgrade the TXT messages later.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The one I mentioned would include texting.

I'm still unsure of what I'm going to do with my phone situation :dunno: Honestly every day for about two weeks I've been online looking at phones/service providers, etc. My biggest issue is I can't justify the extra expense of the internet/email stuff because I have no need for it, I just want it to have it for when I could use it. I'd use it, but at work I have a computer and I'm there 5 - 6 days a week on average about 55 hours. I have a computer at home obviously...so why would I need the phone? Other than wanting it...

Yeah I keep going round and round with that.

7. xivera

xivera Active Member

Ok! USB cable and Nokia PC Suite (can be downloaded freely from Nokia) are in the box.

Think portable internet radio... or just internet on-the-go. (read: full web experience unlike iPhone)
    I'm looking forward to Opera mobile 9.x and Skyfire to come out of beta... even though the S60 web browser holds its own.

8. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

What do you prefer for internet radio?

9. xivera

xivera Active Member

I wish Pandora would work but, Last.FM (through mobbler app) works great.
    And, there is the Internet Radio app.

10. HY

HY New Member

im thinking about getting this phone. i was comparing it to the n96 and it was about 300$ cheaper. it looks like the only stuff the n96 has that the n95 doesnt it mobile tv which isnt available stateside anyway. since it has wifi it would also be cool for listening to radio around school and also using it as a voip phone. anyone have any experiance with that?

11. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm looking at the newer N85 and N79 now as well.

12. HY

HY New Member

just got this phone for 230$. awesome, love the wifi and the gps for geotagging and downloading podcasts anywhere.

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I just signed up on last.fm. I didn't realize exactly what it was. Do you have to pay to get it to work, or should it just go?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  14. xivera

xivera Active Member

free like... speech
    Once you have signed up with last.fm, you can login from mobbler on your S60 device.

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I see it now. The "on demand play" thing only works 3 times then it's 30 second clips. The 'radio' style play with random songs you preselect is what you get for free which makes sense.

If you technically have 5GB allowance on your phone plan, how quickly will that be used up with streaming radio and regular internet browsing?

16. xivera

xivera Active Member

Finally got an answer... pretty quickly!
    My Log shows I just did 5.31GB in the last 30 days... holy crap!

I think I have an addiction...

17. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Got my N95 hooked up and running. Been great so far even though I have shitty coverage where I am at.

For the guy comparing the N95 with the N96; I have seen reviews favoring the N95. I have an 8GB SDHC card in it. I watch movies on it and show off pictures. More than plenty of space.

I passed through a 3G area a little while back and the speed was amazing. I downloaded a zip file and browsed Myspace with ease. I was even getting some 3.5G coverage too.

18. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I just checked my account out of curiosity. With moderate web browsing, nightly Last.fm (at a minimum) and Gmail Mobile always running (which seems to refresh itself once in a while..?) I'm only at 94.5MB I need to get my moneys worth!

19. Tjor69

Tjor69 New Member

Id reccomend the n95 dont know if this thread is dead but just picked one up last week, Free with a 3 year plan managed to get it w/o a data plan(friend works at rogers)
    So far so good great pictures and great videos if your into uploaded to youtube etc.
    I use the internet on wifi

20. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I really like my E51. The only complaint I have is the camera. 2MP is decent. But a) there is no light of any kind for pictures and b) it is VERY laggy. I haven't tried taking a video, but pictures are almost impossible if people aren't perfectly still. I tried taking a few pictures when I was at the bar the other night with some friends and they didn't turn out well at all. I know it's a difficult place to photograph, but my old generic Verizon phone did 10x better.

21. no... why would you want a nokia man... there are a lot... a lot better brands