Anybody else have an experience with HostGator.com

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ItchySac, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ItchySac

ItchySac Oh, thats the spot....

After a couple of weeks of shopping around, I signed up for a dedicated server with HostGator.com because they appeared to have the better all around deal for everything I needed. They said the server would be up within 24-48 hours. Well that was Friday evening....
    I consider myself a very easy customer to get along with because I know all to well that things don't always go as planned. Because of that I don't want to give these guys a hard time... But I do have to vent because I am slightly annoyed with them so far. I just got off the phone with Ben from HostGator. He first tried to tell me I needed to e-mail so and so, which I already did and never got a response which is why I was calling in the first place. You would think for a company thats about to get $175 a month off of me, they would have their shit together a little better. I can understand if they are having issues. But it is not a confidence booster when you have been waiting 3 days and the guy on the phone doesn't tell you shit other than "he doesnt know when it will be ready"....

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, you got ripped off. You obviously did not shop around much. This is a no-name company that's charging you over DOUBLE what it's worth, and they're not even delivering.

www.servermatrix.com
    www.ev1servers.com

those are two WELL-KNOWN companies that deliver the product you pay for, and are cheaper.

3. ItchySac

Wow, you don't know what your talking about. :rolleyes: I did shop around and I looked at both of those companies!!!! They are great deals, IF you dont need Cpanel/WHM, MySQL, firewalls, etc... For a server from ServerMatrix to be setup the way the server at HostGator is would cost well over $200 a month.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are a dumbass. MySQL is *FREE* CPanel is an in-secure piece of shit, but it's about $20 a month. A firewall can be had for *FREE*.

You're looking about $89 a month for that crappy celeron at server matrix.

5. ItchySac

jollyogre, Just for shits and giggles I again went through ServerMatrix setup list to get a quote... In order for servermatrix to have something ALMOST comparable to the HostGator deal would be $169 a month, that does not include a Firewall, any service plans, ect... Wow, a whopping $5 and it still doesnt have all the extras that the host gator one has.... gee.... what an ass raping :noes:

6. ItchySac

add 400meg MSSQL, $50... also, show me what firewall servermatrix will install for FREE!!!!!!! Oh yeah, I really give a fuck what you have to say anyway with your personal insults.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ever heard of IPTables?

and MySQL is free... if you want MSSQL then that's your business. Not my fault you got screwed out of your money by some no-name company. You could have gotten all you need from servermatrix for less and had it all working -- but here you are complaining.

:gtfo:

8. ItchySac

Then quit being an asshole genius and tell us how we can get everything from servermatrix that we will have from hostgator. Did you post in this thread to help a guy or just be a fuckin prick?... I did the shopping, my buddy who knows a hell of alot more about this shit than me made the comparison too.

HostGator has none of my money since I have yet to receive service...

Go through the list and determine everything I will need to be moderatly comparable and I will tell HostGator to go fuck themselves... Thanks in adavnce if you can...

https://www.servermatrix.com/solutions/sc24_server.html#

http://hostgator.com/dedicated.shtml

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i do nto see where hostgator gives you mssql. they do mysql ,which is free. again, you're getting ripped off, and the cheapest servermatrix box is equivalant to what you ordered from hostgator.

10. ItchySac

again, with what added to it? Go through the extras list and assist me please. Or do you just enjoy butting into a thread for no other reason but to insist Im getting ripped off......

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what I do not enjoy doing is holding your fucking hand through this process. You came to ask a question and I gave you a direct answer... Now if you need someone to hold your hand, then my time is worth $50/hour and you can see that at www.eLighthousePoint.net

But I'll do this just to prove my point:

Servermatrix: Super Celeron 2.4GHz Base Price : $89/month
    80GB HDD
    1024 MB RAM
    1200GB Bandwidth
    5 IPs
    CPanel +$20/month
    Urchin
    MySQL (free)
    OSCommerce (free)

Totals:

ServerMatrix : $109/month
    HostGator : $174/month

OMFG, I just did an nslookup on hostgator.com and they use "The Planet" which is the company that OWNS ServerMatrix. They are buying servermatrix boxes and reselling them to you!!! You can go to the source (ServerMatrix) and get them cheaper!

Now, please admit that you are wrong, as I have gone out of my way to help show you.

12. ItchySac

Everything between these 2 lines was helpful, so thanks for that...

As for the rest of it, All you have shown is your a fucking keyboard comando loser. hmmm.. you have time to jump into a serious thread with childish attacks, yet you do not wish to help with the subject. If I would have wanted Off Topic section mentality, I would have posted this in the Off topic forum...

BTW.. MY time during the day is worth more than $50 an hour. So save that line for somebody who would be impressed. Now go back to your fantasy role playing game, tool!!!!

13. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Jolly, people come here for advice about computers and programming. Just because you have more knowledge than they do when it comes to this subject, doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it. I'm sure if you needed medical advice, you would go to your doctor, who wouldn't say, hah you're an idiot for taking that medicine instead of using this. And people that come here may not know computers well, but know other things much better than you, whether it would be civil engineering, medical, law, etc.

14. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

Omg.. IPTables is a capable, easy to use, generally effective firewall (userspace tool for netfilter), but.. it's not an end all solution -- especially when you're running it on a general purpose server at runlevel 3. I rent several boxes from ServerMatrix, and though I don't pick up their firewall option, I would if it was more cost effective. "Real" stand alone firewalls are more secure, period. If you want to argue that fact, go ahead, but I think you'll get laughed out of the thread.

If someone decides to flood you, or otherwise.. having a firewall BEFORE the server could prevent all sorts of undesirable issues. When you have another device rate limiting or blocking, you don't have to worry about the potential side effects like high load, etc.

The list of reasons why a stand alone firewall is more effective could go on and on, but I think you get the jist. The man wants what he has now, he made no indication that he wants to change -- for all you know, he had a damn good reason for wanting an external firewall device. But of course you wouldn't know.. you don't bother to ask.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if that is so important to you, then go with www.ev1servers.net. They include anti-flood and other protections pre-server.