Any women who are taking Yasmin...question

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by sportsjunkie, Aug 16, 2008.

1. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

have you been switched to the generic brand Ocella yet by your pharmacy?
    and if so, have you seen any different side effects?

My doctor prescribed yasmin but the pharmacy gave me Ocella and i've been reading some bad side effect stories from websites so i'm a little :ugh:

I've never been on yasmin before so i can't compare the two.
    both active ingredients are the same...i believe the "fillers" are just different in each med.

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

What are the fillers and what are the side-effects supposedly?

Strangely enough I was having a conversation with my sister last night about this very topic. She said she's been feeling nauseous for the last few weeks. I said "maybe it's your pill." She's like "omg... I just changed to a generic for the generic for some pill." I forgot what pill she said.

But she said the same thing that the active ingredient is the same but the filler is different.

And I didn't know they made generic versions of generic pills.

3. fray

fray New Member

I've never taken Yasmin, but just in general with regards to generics, my understanding is that they only have to have the baseline activity of the brand. What I mean is, there's a range in which the brand is active. The brand is usually higher in this and maintains a more stable concentration, whereas the generic only has to meet the minimum concentration and I've heard does not always maintain this as well as the brand. (As I say, this is just my understanding. We learned this in school. I didn't take the time to find supporting evidence for this, maybe I'll look later.)

I have switched between pills which were supposed to be basically "the same" just from different manufacturer's (Ortho-cyclen and Desogen), and one gave me many side effects and the other didn't.

My bf's sister got pregnant taking generics - she blames the generics for failing her. Of course, she's on her second accidental pregnancy now, so I don't really think it's the bc, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Regardless, I just figure the risk isn't worth it. I see different medicines that are supposed to be the same every day in people's eyes, and people react differently to those - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't! Based on that, plus the above, it just isn't worth it to me go cheaper for generics. I'll pay the $40 a month and not get pregnant.

Yasmin is not a generic.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

So weird you ask. I'm on Yasmin and last month when I went in they didn't say I had to now take Ocella, they just said I have the option and how it is cheaper, etc. etc. I freaked out a little and was very skeptical. The pharmacist went on about how it's great and made by Bayer :mb: Anyway this is my 2 month taking it and there's no difference at all. No different side effects for me :dunno:

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I never said it was. But the TS' question was about generics.

6. MCohen

MCohen #NotMyPresident #AmericaIsAlreadyGreat #GoSolar OT Supporter

Taking the generic brand is your option and the pharmacist can't force it on you. My gf takes Yasmin and she said its the best and has the least side-effects (for her at least)

7. fray

fray New Member

Oh, you confused me with "i didn't know they made generic versions of generic pills".

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I meant say there's a brand like Yasmin. And then it has a generic (say it's called Jasmin). And then some other company makes a generic of Jasmin (called Iasmin). A generic of a generic would be Iasmin.

(bonus points to Europeans who would pronounce all three of those the same :bigthumb: )

9. fray

fray New Member

I don't know that I've ever seen that.

I've seen different generics of the same thing from different companies, and different brands of the same type of drug from different companies.

You're giving out lots of bonus points these days...

10. svendenhowser

svendenhowser New Member

I work in a hospital (RN) and we pretty much only use generic meds. The actual pharmacists say that there is no difference in the 2 products in the concentrations of active ingredients, the only differences (if any) are in things like colours of tablets, so some people may have a different reaction because of these slight differences, however the actual active drug is exactly the same in the exact same quantities/concentrations. This is from many hospital pharmacists so I trust what they say.

In saying that I always go for the generic (currently on the generic of microgynon 30 - Levlen ED) if its cheaper and so does everyone I know, no one I have ever known (patient, friend or family) as had any adverse reactions to any of them.

11. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

I take a generic form,(microgestin) and I have never had any problems with it whatsoever, effectiveness, or otherwise.

ANYONE has the chance of getting pregnant, I know a few girls that had miscarriages on it because their body doesn't work with bc, that might be a reason your sis got pregnant fray.

And there is no difference between generic and reg brand. What you are paying for is for them to advertise more. Why do you think a lot of people just buy the regular Ibprofen now instead of the name brand advil and stuff? I think there is some dealy that when you come up with a new drug, its yours solely to distribute and whatnot, and after X amount of years, other companies can get ahold of what you use and make their own brands. (but correct me if this isn't exactly how it works)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  12. sportsjunkie

ah ok. I was just wondering and wanting to talk to someone at the moment who had it, so thanks. i know that once you start taking a new bc, you can experience some cramping, nausea, etc but after the second month of taking it i hear it goes away. just wanting to make sure

my co-pay was $12 for Ocella, so I know Yasmin would have been like double, so i'm ok with the cheaper brand i guess. but ifi see any side effects, i will tell my doctor to prescribe me Yasmin and dispense as written

13. sportsjunkie

I forget which..but i was reading somewhere that Yasmin had a diuretic, but then some women were complaining that the Ocella didn't have a diuretic and that it caused nausea, constipation, bloating, and lots of women complained of increased hunger and weight gain.

last thing i need is weight gain...so that alone is stopping me from taking it atm. :mamoru: but eh, i'll see how it goes. if i don't get preggers and i have no serious side effects i'll stick with it.

14. Hunt

Hunt Active Member

wow, that's so funny you asked this. i've been taking yasmin for the past couple of years and just this past month was given ocella by the pharmacist and didn't even realize till i opened up the package. i called my gyno to make sure there was no mistake and she said the generic is equally effective. i haven't had any side effects, but i think that just in case i'm going to specifically ask for yasmin in the future. good luck!

15. Medic69

Medic69 New Member

I take Yasmin, but last time I went to get refilled I was given Ocella and I haven't noticed any differences.

In general though, when a new drug is approved by the FDA, the company that developed it has the exclusive right to distribute it for a certain number of years. This allows them to recoup a lot of their research and development costs before a competitor can sell the same drug without having had to put in all the R&D time and effort. The generic drug uses the same recipe as the brand name; they just didn't write the cookbook.

16. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Generally speaking there is absolutely no difference between branded vs generic medicines. Medic69 is exactly right that once the exclusive selling rights period ends, the exact same pill can be made somewhere much cheaper.

Any difference is purely in your head unless you're having a specific interaction with a different colouring, packing agent etc.. not very likely.

17. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I said that in my post.. "different colouring/packing agent etc"