A&P any way to make my 20D fire the flash when I let up on the shutter button?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BadRotation, Feb 24, 2005.

1. BadRotation

BadRotation New Member

Bassicaly, I want to do a blurred shot at night of a car coming down the road, and then let up on the shutter when the car is about 10 feet from me, and I want to be able to fire remote flashes inside the car at that moment, to illuminate the driver, and make a clear image of the driver, but have the car blurred.

Its kinda hard to explain, but I think it will come out cool.

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Look up 'second curtain flash sync' in your camera's manual .

3. mojito

mojito New Member

you can set the flash on camera or off camera is using TTL (Through the lens) to fire at 1st or 2nd curtain, meaning that it'll fire right when the shutter is open at 1st curtain or right as the shutter is closed on second curtain.

If you wanted to put the flash in the car, you could do a variety of things. If its a long exposure with some time to work with, you could attach a peanut slave to the flash in the car, so upon seeing a burst of light (if you fire a flash on the outside whever you want being handheld, the slave would then fire inside the car.

you can always get wireless remote transmitters, but those are $$$

the canon speedlite 420, 550 and 580 have master/slave abilities, so you could attach one flash to the camera, decide whether or not you want it to fore, regardless it'll control another compatible speedlite with IR distance/line of site, and fire it, so you could have it on 2nd curtain and tell the flash not to fire on camera. The Canon ST-E2 basically does the same thing, it allows you to program multiple speedlite flashes off camera and aids in low light focusing, but its still 200

if you can do the handholding the flash and fire it outside the car when you want it (to freeze the car but still have the ghosting from the long exposure) it would then trip the peanut slave. That would be the cheepest and least tenchincal option.

or you could just give the flash to the driver and signal them somehow and just pop it right there, but it'll be hard to gauge the intensity needed without blowing out the driver and without causing reflections in the windshield. Diffusers will be your friend for that

4. BadRotation

BadRotation New Member

ANd yes, I have a remote transmitter, and flashes from the old 35mm SLR (and they will appearently work with the 20D as well, as the transmitter fits in the hotshoe, and they look the same on both cameras (AE-1 and the 20D).

I just wasnt sure of what I needed to set on the camera to get it to fire like that.

Basically what I am going to do is like a bulb exposure of the car travelling towards me in a low light condition, and then fire the in car flashes to 'freeze' the driver, and make the driver/interior of the car sharp and clear.