Any way to get a Pages document back?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Market Garden, Mar 10, 2008.

1. My GF spent all yesterday working on a report for school in Pages (the 2008 version.) She dutifully saved as she went along. She finished last night and saved it again before going to sleep. This morning she woke up and went to print it and found that the copy she had been saving all along had somehow reverted back to about the middle of yesterday. All of her citations and bibliography information is now gone. Is there any way to get the last version she saved? Is this a known problem with pages?

PS. She doesn't use time machine, so no backup exists there.

2. fatass

fatass New Member

Yeah, time machine would have kicked ass for sure. Actually time capsule.

Sorry to hear about the data loss, no idea about Pages.

3. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

Yea time machine if you have backed it up.

Edit: whoops. That would be no then sir.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Sadly Pages doesn't have an auto-save feature like M$ Word, TextEdit, and just about every other word processing program. Big oversight on Apple's part.

5. Shit. Thanks guys. Maybe it's time to invest in an external drive for time machine. It's just so weird, the document shows the "last modified" as last night at 10pm, but none of the changes were actually saved.

6. Laurel

Laurel New Member

It was my paper...
    For clarification, it's an "acquired" copy of pages, I saved it as a pages document repeatedly, and when I was done with it last night, I saved it again, and then exported it as a .doc file so I could print it out at school this morning.

It didn't save any changes that I made(I originally typed it on friday using MS Word and finished it, minus proper formatting of citations, bibliography, etc). I opened up the word document(in pages) and finished it without closing or reopening it. The exported(.doc) file that I made at 10pm last night should have been the "final draft" but saved as the original document that I opened yesterday morning.

Considering that the file seemingly never actually saved changes in pages, I don't believe that Time Machine would have helped me here, but I may be wrong.

Any input? Could it be the downloaded key that I got screwing with things? Pages won't let you save if your 30 day trial is up, but after I input a key it seemed to work fine and never popped up anything telling me that I couldn't save.

7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

if you open up a .doc in pages it opens it but as a new document. you could have saved as "untitled document" or something... check that?

other than that, no idea.

8. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Nope. It's not there. I searched using spotlight for the name of the class(which I put on my title page right before my final save last night) and found nothing.

I'm at a loss here and I'm so worried about having this happen again that I'd actually rather use word that lose 5 hours worth of work.