Any way to actually make this forum helpful?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, I know at times I'm just as bad as any others here about being a prick to others, but is there any way we, as a group, could knock off the useless arguments and shit talk that always ruins every thread in here?

I'd like to make some suggestions:
    - let's keep the responses on topic. the recent blu-ray burner thread is a prime example of how we all end up in the weeds on a fairly straightforward topic.
    - let's not be dicks. if someone asks a seemingly stupid question (whether just ignorant overall or completely lacking in details), then give them the benefit of the doubt and try to get them on course with either some questions to get the right info out of them or some on topic comments (again, not in a rude or obnoxious manner) to point out the correct information for them.
    - if someone else is being a prick, just leave it or take it to PM.

I'm not pointing any fingers because I've been as bad as anyone else, but man this forum is all but useless now.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the problem is half of the threads not posted by one of the "offenders" is just some troll looking for help with piracy.

Things would be better, and particular individuals may be nicer if the mods actually controlled the illegal discussions.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so don't help them. just leave it alone. we don't need to spend half of the time just trying to get people to prove that they aren't stealing software. if they come in and blatantly ask for something illegal, then i'd agree, but most of the time you're jumping on people before you have any proof that there is any wrong doing. instead of assuming innocence, you're immediately thinking they're guilty and jump all over them.

if someone is actually directly asking for help with something illegal like copying software, places to download illegally, bypassing their school's firewalls and stuff like that, then send a PM to the mod of the forum and leave it at that. but if they are asking for help installing their new copy of vista, you can't just jump on them assuming they stole the software. you don't have to help them, but it really does nothing to harass people into admitting they don't have a valid license.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a good majority of threads from non-regulars deal with stealing dvd content and other tasks where the number of legitimate uses are in the minority, and the illegal uses are the majority.

There are also several individuals in this forum that will recommend piracy even if the op has not asked for illegal means. I'm tired of seeing "don't pay for it, just download it". If the mods here actually were more than worthless then bans should be handed out for recommending illegal activities.

I would be much more lax if there was a clear understood line that wasn't crossed. I don't care so much about people talking in generalities, but when things are obviously illegal, then that needs to be done elsewhere.

bittorrent, for example, has the vast majority of it's use for illegal filesharing. Even the few legal uses it has are not exclusive, and rarely (if ever) have benefit over the traditional methods. For example, yes you could get a linux distro via bittorrent... but why would you? a http/ftp mirror would likely provide better throughput, and it wouldn't waste your upload.

As for accusing people of using pirated software, I am almost always right, when I do. And I use the term "almost" only because someone will jump on me if I say "every time". The bottom line is that if there is a problem with someone's OS install, there is a high probability that an illegal copy of Windows is the culprit. It certainly wouldn't be appropriate to continue with troubleshooting that -- especially given the offical policy of this forum.

So if you want things to be friendlier, then fine. But there needs to be a set of rules, and they actually need to be followed. In the event that they are not, there needs to be swift and appropriate punishment. Just today, two people recommended stealing software. They should have bans.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Noone but you finds these particularly distressing. Let the mods delete them, who cares?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay lets let piracy run wild. :o :fawk:

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Let the mods take care of them. They do get locked. Your trolling them isn't really productive.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm really tempted to make a few snide remarks, but...what the hell, I'm not going to be the first one to dive into the cesspool.

There is already a clearly-defined line that shouldn't be crossed, as stated in the two stickies. The main problem is the mods here don't do their jobs, either because they're busy and don't log on very often, or because they just don't care anymore. Either way, if the mods actually enforced civility and legality under pain of banishment, then things would improve dramatically.

9. Nocera

Nocera ...

The biggest problem with this forum is that's it's filled with members that have completely failed at all aspects of life outside of computers and technology and they therefore resort to petty, childish arguments in order to boost their self-esteem.

I've looked into the post histories of a few members that always seem to be involved in these problems. It absolutely disgusts me. It's clear that many of you literally do not leave your computer at all on the weekends. Besides a few hours of sleep, some of you guys have at least one post every hour from Friday afternoon until late Sunday night. Since you have nothing else to occupy your empty lives with, you end up obsessing over this forum, its members, and the meaningless drama that can come from it. All I can say is get out of the house and try to enjoy life instead of arguing with a bunch of idiots on a computer forum.... If you guys actually found lives, you'd look back on your arguments here and finally see how ridiculous you all look.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

kinda b.s. coming from a mod that is paid to be here, and yet isn't.

11. Nocera

Nocera ...

:hsugh:

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

[​IMG]

Does this look like a person with an unfulfilled life?

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Does this?

[​IMG]

Huh?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have put on weight :o

16. awns729

awns729 New Member

LOL

i have to say, i don't think arguments over pirated software have that much to do wiht all the drama in this forum.

there are so many people asking for help, who aren't doing illegal activities, but don't recieve any good information.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Nah, pic was old. I've lost weight.

[​IMG]

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

still have that crazy beard, i see. why do people in this profession tend to have lots of facial hair?

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Cause we can, I think. I alternate between bald and overgrown, but I never shave daily... my skin can't take it.

20. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

This forum would be more useful if people actually tried to help others, instead of crucifying them with no real evidence.

Innocent until proven guilty, and all. Obviously this isn't the US justice system we're talking about, but that's a good concept to take to heart, and apply everywhere.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I disagree.

If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, sounds like a duck, and feels like a duck, then I'm gonna treat it like a duck.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I just pirated your post.

23. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'd say this is the most true. If someone asks a basic quetion or points out something they just learned, many hear will jump all over that person in a most obnoxious manner. No one person knows everything and there are a lot more people who are ignorant about computers than who know what they are talking about. If you don't want to help, don't reply. Just don't harass people because it makes your epeen seem bigger.

24. deusexaethera

I think this is an adequate demonstration that I was right when I said "...or they just don't care anymore." No shit we talk about computers here, it's a fucking computer forum.

Yes, we've demonstrated an incapacity for self-governance. Anonymity + Audience - Accountability tends to result in that. That doesn't make it any less your responsibility to do something about it when you see shit going down. If you can't deal with that, tough shit. Do your job or let someone else do it for you.

25. deusexaethera

Because facial hair is manly, and soft-skinned geeky types need all the manliness we can get.

That's also why you own guns and drive trucks, btw. Just in case you were wondering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.