any ubuntu users

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Jul 2, 2007.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I decided to load it on my laptop (ThinkPad R50) and for a few hours of using it everything seemed fine but now I cant connect to my local network anymore it times out, sometimes the terminal window when I bring it up the window shows up but nothing else such as the prompt and thats just two of the problems out of many im having. only way I can fix any of the problems is to power down and back up again. Anyone else have this much issues with it? Doesnt sound like ill be keeping ubuntu considering all these issues im having

2. Shadoglare

Shadoglare NeoCon Commie Hitler Wanna-Be

The only time I had the terminal window issue was when trying to use the Beryl window manager instead of the default one - it has issues with several (ok, most) video cards.
    The network thing I'm not really sure what to suggest as most of the time Ubuntu is pretty good at "plug and play" with these and I've never had to configure it...

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

lol...have fun with that :ugh2:

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

network thing turned out to be my firewall I forgot to add the Ip to my trusted network. Far as the rest is concerned I think its hosed though... most of the windows that i click open come up but they dont present anything their blank. Atleast on other desktops when you click close itll force quit. no higher resolution then 1024 kinda sucks when I can get 2000 something in windows forgot the exact dimensions, either way its not all its cracked to be apparently. least my wireless does work on it without any driver searching/building

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I had a similar prob with Ubuntu and noone could help. Mine was where I'd boot the machine and Gnome would come up just fine. My internet connection would work for about 2 minutes then stop. I'd go into the networking utility and see that the NIC was no longer selected. Once I reselected it, my internet would come back up.

I asked all over and everyone just said wow...strange....no idea. Try reinstalling. So I did but I'll never know the reason why it did it nor how to fix it. :(

You can get higher resolutions from other drivers but they aren't supported by Ubuntu, but they work. I had them and was really having fun with Ubuntu but about 6 months after, I patched my system and my gui completely crapped out on me. I've been too lazy to work on it lately but this was really frustrating.

6. Shadoglare

Not detecting video resolutions correctly (or at least as high as it should) is a common Linux setup issue, including with Ubuntu. It's not hard to fix though, and I can get you a link to the fix if you're interested.
    When you say "most of the windows" are you talking different applications? Are there some that consistantly work and some that never do?

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Redhat 9, Fedora5 and CentOS 4 will exceed what ubuntu does so im sure its driver related just to lazy to track it down right now.

Apps I use that have issues, Terminal, Firefox, Network, Screensaver although I dont use it I would like to turn it off, forgot what else

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Open a command prompt and type in:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It will prompt you for your password, then it will open the file for editing as the root user (aka administrator).

You need to edit this file to include the resolution and color depth that your screen can display. (Make sure to leave in 640x480 at 8-bit color, just in case the settings you add don't work.) It should be obvious where this gets done, but a hint is that it's near the end of the file.

While you're in there, delete the entries for the Wacom drawing tablet and stylus, unless you actually have one. There's no reason to load those drivers if you don't actually have handwriting capability on your laptop.

(why nobody's made a user interface for editing this file yet, I have no idea.)

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I already tried that it, that doesnt work.

10. Shadoglare

Hmmm... yeah I'm betting it's a video driver issue as well at this point. Just struck me as odd as the default window manager is usually pretty tolerant when it comes to the video hardware.

11. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Cuz most people have never even looked at that file.... I have written a script that will add customer ModeLine's to it but not edit the file