Any Toyota Prius Owners?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AggieZR2, Aug 21, 2005.

1. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

I know this is probably a terribly unpopular car in this forum but I currently drive around 280 miles a day for work and so buying something that gets me 40 MPG or better will save me around 500 bucks a month. Obviously the prius jumps out at you as the best hybrid available, but I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with these cars. If so, please share and likes, dislikes, anything at all.

2. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

stepmom's parents have one.
    They love it and have no problems with it. It goes on yearly trips up to Washington state from Las Vegas.

3. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

holy shit, find a new job or move.

thats fucking bananas

4. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

A better choice would be a something like a Toyota Corolla, the much higher initial cost of the prius outweighs the gains of the higher MPG. Consider that the corolla gets 38 MPG (or 41 in the 5 Speed). The prius gets 51MPG. (these are highway MPG)

There are around 260 work days a year, if you drive 280 miles total everyday for work then you are driving around 73k miles just for work every year. At $2.55/Gal you would spend $4899 every year on gas in the corolla, or $4654 in the 5 speed assuming 95% highway use. In a prius you would spend $3650 a year under the same conditions.

A corolla S costs ~15k MSRP.
    A Prius costs~21K MSRP.

That means It would take you ~4 years of driving to start saving money with the prius (~6 in a 5 speed corolla). But keep in mind that if the battery craps out on the prius out of warranty, it's mighty expensive to replace.

How long do you expect to keep the car? How long will you be working so far away? If you do end up getting a job that's closer, that means it will take even longer to start saving money with the prius.

This would also work out for any other car around 15k that gets about the same MPG as the corolla. I was just using it as an example because I think it is a good car. But if you like the prius better as a car and are willing to spend the extra 5k for it, then by all means go ahead. But if you are buying strictly as a commuter, you might want to consider other, less expensive alternatives.

Or you could buy a motorcycle. :o

5. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

I am a real estate appraiser. I actually live 5 minutes from the office, but travel around houston all day.

I have thought about going the corolla route, my fiance just got a matrix and loves it. The one concern I have with the prius is the maintenance / repair cost when it is out of warranty, which would be after the first year of owning it. Thanks for the responses.

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The motorcycle, while probably the most fun, can be kinda impractical.

I've tried commuting solely on my bike and it just doesn't work when you need to start carrying things.

7. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

corolla is a smaller car than the prius and doesn't have the same equipment as the prius standard
    where as a corolla best is around 40 mpg, a prius can get better than 50 depending on the driver, some have gotten better than EPA estimates with over 60 mpg average

8. blitzed_24/7

blitzed_24/7 New Member

This is the smartest reply i have ever read on OT.

Kudos

9. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

depending on your tax bracket you can get over 3k off for tax

10. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

I bought a 2005 corolla S yesterday. I just couldn't chance buying a prius and having something go wrong after the warranty is out. Thanks for the help folks.

11. whosurdaddy

whosurdaddy New Member

:werd:

12. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

Congratulations man, I hope you enjoy your car. Out of curiosity did you buy a manual or automatic?

13. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

Auto, because I do a lot of reading maps and driving slowly around neighborhoods, so a stick would be a pain.

14. gaara46

gaara46 OT Supporter

yeah, but gas isnt gona be 2.55 for awhile. ur whole equation will change when the price of gas goes up.

the prius has a 150,000 mile warranty on its hybrid components, and a 3 yr/36 bumper 2 bumper for the rest of the car..so i highly doubt anything will go wrong with it.

15. XPX

XPX New Member

I'm surprised someone took the time to write this, you are correct in your calculations, this is the same for diesels....

How high are the Prius' manteinance costs?

16. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

you can chip hack the prius to get almost 80 mpg.
    there are prius modding forums out there right now and I HIGHLY suggest you check them out. Wired magazine did a review of them.

Don't listen to these bozos in here who magazine test the prius. There are mods out there which are free (ECU ROMS) which will increase your gas mileage to ridiculous levels.