any tips on removing jet-ski graphics?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tommyortom, Feb 10, 2005.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

in a few weeks, i want to begin removing all of the stickers from my 1984 Kawasaki 550.

[​IMG]

anything i can do to ease the process of removing the blue and silver graphics? they are the stock ones, and i just think they are ugly. so if there is anything besides heating them up, a razor blade, and go-gone that will make this easier, let me know.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Heat em' up, get some dental floss behind them and see if that works. Dental floss won't scratch the finish.

Be prepared to polish out the gelcoat because it is a good bet the paint underneath the decals will different.

3. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

haha yea...the gelcoat is 21 years old so there has to be some difference underneath those graphics. would i be fine using some rubbing compound first, then waxing it to try to blend everything together? im afraids its gonna be very obvious, but for a few feet back you wont be able to tell.

4. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

you're pretty much guaranteed to have much darker red paint where those stickers were, and i dont think any attempts at blending will work.

5. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

well there used to be some factory stickers on the back over the red paint that said JS550 and were kinda big, and i took those off and the paint looks fine.

6. joedog24

joedog24 New Member

Heat gun, tar remover. :hsd:

7. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

heatgun, 3m adhesive remover.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

BTW, you need to use gel coat specific products on that jet ski. Automotive polishes won't cut it. I know some Autozone's sell the Meguiars gel coat 3 step system for around $30. Worth checking out.

9. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

arite....ive used some mcguirers car wax on it though, and it did make quite a differnce. i did this right after i picked it up and waxed it all. but ill look into gel coat product though if i the paint under the graphics is faded and i cant blend it out......even though it shouldnt be sine the other parts i did were fine.