SRS any tips on managing people with superior credentials to yours?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black jesus, Jul 9, 2009.

1. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I've never really had to deal with this before. I've managed programs before, but its been somewhat informal in comparison. I'd love to have some tips so I can avoid disaster.

Clarification: I have a BS and most of these guys have an MS. I've been doing the job for the last 3-years though, and doing it rather well in comparison to those who came before me.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

How are managing programs and people the same?

3. summer1547

summer1547 New Member

Be confident in yourself and your skills. You are in the position that you are in because you earned it (and if you didn't than the fact is still that you are in that position). You can read a lot of books and they will all give you good tips and different perspectives, but the ultimate point is that: Be you! Be the position! Don't let anyone (not just in this instance) intimidate you or make you feel less and don't do that to other people either. We all have our talents and strengths that make us unique. You are Awesome. You won't have disaster so don't worry.

4. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Final decisions have gone through me on this program for a while, and I've manged 1-4 subordinates in the process. Now I'm changing programs and hired at a significantly higher grade.

5. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I'm friends with every single person in my office, bar none. Of course there's "the girl's club," "the boy's club," "the ex-military club," and "the certifiably insane/sexual harassment allegation club" but I've managed to get along with all of them. I also manage to get along with each state that I serve, bar none. Maybe I have nothing to worry about and can just relax.

6. summer1547

summer1547 New Member

You don't have anything to worry about and you should relax. Part of being the manager is showing that you are confident in your decision skills. Don't let them see you sweat it because than that shows weakness. Also realize that you can be friends with everyone but there will definitely come times when they will no longer want to be your friends simply because they don't agree with a decision. I always made it known why I made a decision that I made and let them know that my interest was first for 1)overall production and the company because without the company or profit all of us would be without job 2) I would help them in any way that I could without interfering with priority #1. So yeah, relax. Have fun!

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Stop looking at how the grass is greener and tend to your own rotting grass instead. Just put your mind on zero and go for gold in life, yes there is competition but my advice is just to keep doing your own thing.

8. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I think I may actually be ok at least. Its important to maintain amicable relationships with my presonnel and constituents (states, local government, and tribes) but to also maintain effectiveness.

I guess I need to relax and see what I get into.

9. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Perhaps I'm missing something because I speed read my way through the first few posts, but it just seems to me like they went to school a little longer than you did: how does that make them better/smarter, exactly?

I'm surrounded by people who have B.Sc.'s and M.Sc.'s (I'm a lowly community college graduate), yet none of them got anywhere near my score on the graduate recruitment (euphemism for IQ) test. That's not to say they're not qualified to perform the work, but their additional years of education don't necessarily make them better at what they/we do.

My only recommendation for you would be to keep doing things the way you've always done them. It seems to have been working tremendously well so far, so as the saying goes... don't change a winning formula.