MMA Any tips for faster recovery?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by teep, Dec 7, 2006.

1. teep

teep New Member

Besides good old fashioned rest and sleep does anyone have any tips to help your body recover? Maybe certain supplements or stretching routines? I've been doing a ton of muay thai lately and I really want to keep it up, but it's starting to take a toll on my body. My legs are pretty much all bruises and sore from kicking, being kicked, and plyos. The rest of my body is in pretty much the same shape. The pros sure do have it tough. I was going to post in F&N but honestly I hate that forum. Why work on your bjj when your triceps need to be bigger :ugh2: Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

2. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

edurox supposedly is good.

but beware its gassy

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

well, if you're training seriously then I'd say stick with it... you'll get used to it and your body will "harden" so to speak... but that's not necessarily the most healthy thing (look at pro athletes, especially fighters and football players, who get old... training daily takes a serious toll on the body, and while it can put you in the best shape of your life now, it could also take years off your joints and other body functions/parts). Best thing would be to train every other day rather than multiple days in a row. That way your muscles have time to recover from working hard, bruises have more time to heal, joints have time off, etc.

What's your training schedule looking like now? Just make sure you're eating properly, sleeping enough (8 hours is good), and if you get a serious injury you take enough time off for it to heal properly.

I know if I don't do any bag training my shins get wussy again, and then for the first couple weeks getting back to it they will bitch at me after a good workout. Things like that sometimes need to be worked through, but again, any serious pains need to be taken seriously (could be microfractures, sprains, etc).

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:mamoru: at the F&N comment. It's very true that guys in there don't see any point to fitness or health other than huge muscles and low bodyfat, and in fact, many there feel that if you don't have both then you aren't healthy. BUT theres still some good guys in there though with good advice to give.

5. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Xyience! :)

6. teep

teep New Member

Haha I guess Xyience is the most obvious choice. I'll have to check out edurox too.

This is my training schedule. I usually end up missing a day or two out of the week because of school or to just needing rest.

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday- Muay Thai
    Tuesday-Jiu Jitsu
    Sunday- Rest or go to jiu jitsu depending on how I feel

I've been concentrating on my stand up so much because local MMA here is dominated by bjj. Nobody can really strike.

7. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

You can buy Naproxin (anti-inflamatory) over the counter in the states. Whenever I've down there I get a big bottle. After a hard day at the gym or whatever, and I'm sore and swollen I'll take a few.
    Up here they're prescription

8. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

I take cissus quadrangularis. It's a great anti-inflamatory, and works well on the inevitable joint pain associated with heavy training. It also has been shown to increase bone density.

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Potassium and calcium are good for muscle recovery. Bananas, potatoes, and yogurt.

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:coold: some of the best fighters in MMA always say that the key to being succesful is training to fix your weak spots and also training to expose your opponents weak spots. Just make sure your grappling abilities don't go down with the lessened training.

Overall I'd say that's quite a grueling schedule, but from the looks of things you're determined to fight competitively. If you want to go pro, you're probably gonna feel beat up a lot of the time :(

11. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Not to sound like a UFC tool... but I've been using NOX-CG3 and it seems to really help with recovery... It contains creatine and glutamine... I am a little disappointed that it didn't really give me the energy boost that I was hoping for... I work out in the morning (weights/cardio/boxing), and was looking for an energy boost as I've been kinda flat lately...

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

more complex carbohydrates will give you energy during your workouts.

If you feel burnt out by the end of the day however then it could be sleep-related. Try to get 8 hours (personally if I sleep 8 I feel groggy all day, so I prefer 7, but 8 is ideal for body recovery) consistently...If you don't feel better after a few weeks of sticking to your sleep schedule and eating more complex carbohydrates, then try caffiene near the time that you usually get tired. If you drink coffee, then I'd save any morning coffee breaks for the late afternoon and evening.

13. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

do you take it every day, or only after injuries/strains?

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

don't you want to be 1337 like the oldschool fighters and just be the best with natural means and hard work/determination?

It's up to you, but paying money for all that xyience shit seems like a waste, but then again I don't train anywhere near as hard as you so I can't really relate.

also I didn't think about it earlier but it's funny that they can't strike... typically in America you see fighters that can strike well but can't wrestle/grapple for shit, because it's not what youwould see in a barfight, therefore it is "pussy" :hsugh:

15. Placebo

Placebo New Member

The only supplement I really use is Xtend. I love it.

16. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

:rofl:

17. teep

teep New Member

Haha the xyience thing was a joke. The only thing I take is a multivitamin in the morning. As for the low level MMA here, it's dominated by jiu jitsu because there are alot of bjj schools in the area. They all claim to teach MMA and stand up, but everything besides their bjj is usually a joke.

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:coold: in that case, kick some ass, sea bass

19. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

That is one of the best movie quotes ever.

20. Placebo

Placebo New Member

:hsugh:

Did I miss something?