SRS Any support groups for family of cancer victims?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dorn, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Dorn

Dorn New Member

I just realized things tonight I guess. Two of my friends were talking/arguing about why breast cancer gets more support/exposure than prostrate cancer. The entire time, I just kind of sat there not saying anything and tearing up a bit.

Both of my parents have had scares. My mom had a scare with breast cancer, and my dad had a larger scare with prostrate cancer.

This compounds on me remembering my grandfather with brain cancer and basically seeing him deteorate so much with that. The last memory of him was seeing him saying some of the most random things and knowing not even a year and a half before he was going to my little league games and picking me up from school every day in 6th grade.

Legitly, it just seems like anytime the topic of cancer comes up, I can't get through it without thinking of all of it. Even my grandmother, going through alzhemeir's, I for some reason look at that as another form of cancer, and it hurts. Tonight, with my two best friends debating whether breast or prostrate cancer should get more exposure, I had to get in the kitchen and start cleaning just to get away from it and shed some tears. It hurts.

So yeah. I don't know what to think of all of it. Anytime cancer comes up, I think of the scares with my immediate parents, then think of my grandparents and it hits me hard. It's been 10 years since my grandfather passed from it and 8 since my grandmother passed from alzheimer's, and it still makes me down a lot.

2. pixing

pixing New Member

I'm sorry that you're feeling upset. Your local hospital and/or hospice probably has a cancer and grief support groups - ones for people with cancer and ones for caregivers and family. Try there.

Also you might consider talking one to one with someone. I was overly sad from my mom's death - I know that sounds odd, but after several years little things would make me cry and cry. The way my therapist explained it was that sometimes "big" events don't know where to get filed in your brain - so they rattle around and feel fresh for way longer than they should. After doing some exercises talking through the traumatic events I was able to put them in the right perspective. Good luck.

3. kitty

kitty Uppity ass cat OT Supporter

:hs: I thought I'd live to be 102. Everyone in my family lives forever...until my Uncle got throat cancer, my dad was told he had Pancreatic Cancer(which he went to enough doctors to until he found one that said it wasn't) and the only person I've ever loved..my mom.. was told she has stage 4 breast cancer and about 5 years to live.
    So, I kinda know how you feel..I water up when I hear the word.

4. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

Call your local Cancer Society-I am sure they can put you in touch with someone to talk with about your concerns.

5. kitty

kitty Uppity ass cat OT Supporter

any tips on the exercises? I should have been over my divorce years ago!:hs:

6. surlybot

surlybot you cool maaaaaaannn?

my grandfather died from cancer, so I know how you feel man. And also my remaining grandfather has alzheimer's too and not sure how much longer he's gonna be around.

7. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Dorn- consider yourself extremely lucky that neither of your parents actually have cancer. As several of us on this board can attest, it really, truly SUCKS BALLS.

For me, the feeling of my aunts or my grandparents having cancer was NOTHING compared to my mom being diagnosed again. The feeling wasn't even comparable.

Like SixSecrets said, If you call the cancer society, they will probably have some resources. Alot of hospitals have support groups too, so you might want to check there. I've never gone to any as I really don't like talking about it- but sometimes it is nice to have the support and understanding of someone who is going through the same thing. :hs:

Good luck to you

8. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Edit: I misunderstood the question. This isn't healthy at all... and if you feel like you need to sit down and think about things for a while, I'd go see some sort of mental health professional. Cancer groups aren't what you need. Cancer's just a word dude. Just like AIDs, just like major car accident...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008