Any Star Wars books any good?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Abraxis, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I was at Borders today and saw a whole section of Star Wars books. I didn't know there were that many. Thought about giving it a shot, but didn't know where to start. There were several authors, series, time periods etc. One had a timeline in it, it was set 22 years from Ep 4 and about a dozen series set in between. Didn't know where to start.

What's good? I'm sure some have to suck. Is there a series set right after ROTJ? Is it good? What else should I get? Are there any written in the time of KOTOR?

2. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

the amount of starwars books out there is huge.

after ROTJ is "The New Republic" i think.

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Are they any good? I'd rather not buy a set written by a hack that just wanted to put out a SW book.

4. zxvasdf

zxvasdf New Member

THE JEDI ACADEMY TRILOGY by kevin j. anderson (luke establishes a jedi school on yavin 4. one of my favorite star wars books. kyp durr is the anakin of that age. all of anderson's star wars novels are excellent)
    THRAWN TRILOGY by timothy zahn (features one of the coolest antagonists in the star wars universe, grand admiral thrawn. zahn is credited with refueling the interest in the star wars universe with these novels)
    THE COURTSHIP OF PRINCESS LEIA by dan wolverton (a rollicking adventure where han solo gets her hand in marriage)
    TRUCE AT BAKURA by kathy tyers (luke becomes closer to his origins when he loses yet another hand. good read)

these are good books to start with. pretty much old school. one of the original novels before the boom of star wars novels. lately most of the books cropping up on the shelves have to do with the clone wars and anakin.

5. Dax420

Dax420 Guest

I love that series. I would start there if you could.

6. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

The Timothy Zahn series is really good. I read a few Rogue Squadron novels after that. I've been thinking about picking up some of Matt Stover's novels as I like his Heroes die series. I can't comment on any other books.

7. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

the Timothy Zahn books are pretty much taken as the ONLY authorized star wars universe books that don't deal directly with a george lucas movie ...

the Thrawn Trilogy:

Heir to the Empire (book 1)
    Dark Force Rising (book 2)
    The Last Command (book 3)

all fucking amazing books

A Duology was written soon after;
    The Hand of Thrawn:
    Vision of the Future (book 1)
    Spectre of the Past (book 2)

More recently, Zahn has done another followup to these 5 books, it hasn't really got a series name like the others do, however, it is an ongoing theme that started with the Thrawn trilogy, and continued into the Hand of Thrawn trilogy.

The first book, released Feb 2004, is called Survivor's Quest, which basically details Luke and Mara Jade and a few others coming upon the lost Outbound Flight that was launched before the Clone Wars, that Thrawn had a hand in its destruction (or atleast that was what was to be believed)

There is a followup to this coming out January of 2006, and I have to admit, I'm fucking thrilled about it. I own the first 6 in first edition hardcover, and I look forward to this next book, because the Suvivor's Quest sort of left me hanging, and having just recently read it, it lead me to look for another book by Zahn...

Needless to say, it's been pre-ordered :o
    should be an excellent read

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Any Star Wars book that is written by a woman is rotten. Avoid them at all costs, especially The Crystal Star and Children of the Jedi.

Most of the rest I read were pretty good, especially the ones by Zahn.

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I'm not 100%, but pretty sure he doesn't lose a hand in this book. It's also fairly good (though pretty disturbing), making it the exception to my "no women authors" rule.

10. zxvasdf

zxvasdf New Member

the star wars short story collections by kevin j anderson, 'tales of the mos eisley cantina, bounty hunters, and i think there was one other one are pretty good too. i especially liked the story about what happened in the sarlacc pit after boba fett fell in.

11. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

12. Dragnfyre23

Dragnfyre23 New Member

I enjoyed the XWing series and the Solo trilogy, very good books and they do not center around the Luke, Han and Leia save the day novels that make up alot of the books.

13. Acesn8s

Has anyone read the books Matt Stover wrote? I read his Caine novels (Heroes Die and the Blade of Tyshal). His style is really gritty, awesome fights. I was curious if his SW novels would be easy to jump into.

14. Scrum

Scrum Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I have read them all except the "Young jedi knights" series.

Some are better than others, but overall they are great reads.

15. Acesn8s

Almost picked up Shatterpoint yesterday. If my "to read" pile wasn't so big I would have gotten it.

16. burbon

burbon Everything is going as planned.

i agree, Zahn is the best writer in the EU, his thrawn trilogy was perfectly written. i didn't know the follow up was coming out in january, time to visit amazon and pre order:cool:

17. burbon

burbon Everything is going as planned.

i've got that one, its a decent read. not bad at all, you sould have picked it up, whats one more book to add to the pile?

18. Sinusoid

Sinusoid OT Supporter

Got those 2 mixed up, Spectre is the first one. Hand of Thrawn + Thrawn Trilogy > *.

Also, Darksabre by Kevin J Anderson is a worthy read.

Shadows of the Empire also, is set in between Empire and Jedi movies, very cool. (The N64 game didn't do the story justice!)

19. Acesn8s

:rofl: Very true. I'll probably get it in the next week or two. :bigthumb: