SRS Any SSRIs that sort of act like Xanax?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SFLegend, Sep 23, 2005.

1. SFLegend

SFLegend .

To be honest, for the past year or so I have tried 3 SSRIs (Lexapro, Paxil, and Prozac [in that order with varies dosages]) and I don't feel that it makes me more calm in social situations. I've noticed from a couple of threads in here that people have noticed "a difference" when taking the medication. I don't. Now with Xanax I do feel a bit more relaxed whenever I'm in a social situation or in general, but I obviously don't want to take it everyday just so I feel relaxed. Any SSRIs that have the same quick effect as Xanax, but not as habit forming or addicting?

As a sidenote I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder, but I feel it's more Avoidant Personality Disorder.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

How long did you try each of those for?

3. SFLegend

SFLegend .

Well it's almost been a year since I decided to seek out help for the problem I've been having. The first doctor I saw recommended that I should take Lexapro. I took that for about 4-5 months, but I really didn't feel any "different" and still felt nervous in social situations. I then tried Paxil for about another 4-5 months, but still didn't feel anything different. Then Prozac was suggested to me and I started taking it about Late July of this year and I still don't feel anything different. I guess I thought taking the pill would fix my problem relatively quickly since it's embarrassing being a "social phobic". It gets in the way of what I really want to do in life. I'll just do some more research and ask for more opinions from doctors and stuff. I just hope it won't take forever to find the right one.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Have they tried adjusting the doses on any of these meds when they were ineffective?

5. SFLegend

SFLegend .

Yeah. Like I said I tried one dose higher on each one of those before switching to the other.

6. SFLegend

SFLegend .

Yeah. I've been seeing a therapist for the past year or so, but it seems like I'm going nowhere with that... I will try Paxil again since that seem to have more of an effect than others I have taken.

7. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

Buspar is similar, but non-addicting.