any sites about engine swap for 97 wrangler?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Valence, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

that would be kinda cool to get rid of the 4 banger and get some real power behind the wheels. and cheaper overall then spending dough tuning up the current engine with performance parts

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Assumming the swap cost $S... And your current wrangler is worth $C. I bet you could buy a comprable wrangler with the 4.0L I6 for less than $S+C... So sell your current wrangler, and buy the I6 model.

3. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I can't do that, the understanding from my father is that I can't sell it. Not even to buy another jeep. Plus it's kinda sentimental, it was my first vehicle.

4. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

besides I just checked car max and did a blue book value on the jeep

carmax , even jeeps sold that are 00 to 01 with 50 k are worth 13 k

mine, a 97 with 72000 is only worth 6300 k

so no the engine swap is definitely worth it.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$6K is a cheap swap btw... prolly not worth it.

6. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

well then someone post the cost breakdown of swapping the engine, parts, labor etc and what it typically costs

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Man, its not worth the work.

Why build when you can buy?
    Tell your pops top stop being stupid.
    You need to get over your first vehicle love. They are just cars.

8. Dawgboy

Dawgboy New Member

Don't swap, so not worth the money and time.

So sell it and buy a '97 with a 6 cylinder, or keep driving it as is.
    Unless you are planning on keeping your first Jeep for the rest of your life, sentimental means crap. (or sell it to a relative).

I had a '97 SE with a 4-banger for 9 years and just recently bought an Unlimited with the 4.0. So what? The four is slow, but you will get there. If you do a lot of highway driving the 6 is much preferred, as your foot gets tired trying to mash the pedal through the floorboard getting the 4cyl. up to speed and holding it there. Around town it's not too bad,unless you have a/c.

It sounds as if your dad is trying to keep you out of trouble and I can't say I blame him. I'm 37 and still having fun goosing the 4.0 and passing people. If he helped with the purchase I'd say live with it untill you're old enough to buy what you want.

9. iansane

iansane Active Member

Fuel injected chev 350 and never look back.

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

yep, cause looking at you uncompleted tree-fiddy swap whilst riding away on your bicycle will only piss you off for taking apart a normally reliable Jeep.

Seriously, don't bother with the swap.
    You'll be better of selling the 4-popper and getting the 6cyl.

I don't think I'd bother with a turbo in a Jeep either. Totally wrong kind of power delivery.

11. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

:diaf:

you're a moron.

building your own is always cheaper then being a yuppie pussy and having someone else do all the work for you.

go to a junk yard and get the I-6 engine..its a direct bolt-in and is a great engine...

anyway...why are you wanting to get rid of the 4 banger? its not half-bad and TJs are light enough to where the power weight ratio isnt too horrible...do you wheelyour jeep at all? and do you know anything about junk-yard parts? just asking, not being a dick...cuz if you dont, then take a friend that knows something about junkyard parts and engines... junk-yards WILL try to milk you for every dime..and might sell youa piece of shit.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Wow, you're just wrong. Not to mention this is a guy that seems to know NOTHING about engine swaps.

Everyone I've talked to who owns a 4banger jeep hates it, and wishes they had the I6.

13. affende

hence me telling him to get a friend that does know something about engine swaps....and i think your logic blows ass.

parts cost + your own free time > parts cost + expensive labor

i wheel I6TJ and my friends 4banger TJ...and off road there really isnt that much of a difference because of the different weights. on road, i never notice it because the shift points in myauto are so fucked up the extra power is useless...if you have an auto, reprogramme the fucking shift points.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  14. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

If this was the main forum I would make some comment about "reading comprehension> you", but since this is Trucks and SUV forum, personal attacks can get you banned so I shall keep those comments to myself.

If you had actually read what he was saying, you would realize he was saying to sell the jeep with the 4 banger and buy another jeep with the I-6.

To the thread starter
    If you're dad won't let you get rid of your current jeep, maybe look into changing out the gears.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

listen, dumbass, I'm telling him to SELL the 4-banger, and BUY an I6... Simple. No engine swap at all. Not paid labor. Sell, Buy. whole rig.

:ugh: I guess you don't pass people... ever.

16. affende

its a jeep....so no, i dont

17. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

To the original poster...

Is your Jeep an auto or manual?

If you think the swap is worth it, then go ahead and do it.

Why are you going to listen to a bunch of people on a buletin board??

IMO, if the Jeep is stock, you are probably better off just buying a 6-cyl TJ and be done with it.

But my Jeep has sentimental value too and if my engine blew up tomorrow, I wouldn't think twice about replacing the engine, no questions asked.

Good luck.

18. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Selling the entire vehicle and buying one that is already set up with the I-6 is a cheaper than having to change out parts. The I6 is NOT a direct bolt in. You do need to do quite a bit of work and change out far more than just the motor and its related systems.
    BTW, don't forget that the motor he drops in will have to be from 97 or newer. You have smog legalities to contend with.

if you want, just re-gear the Jeep. It will improve the performance a bit although gas mileage might suffer.

19. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

check out www.pirate4x4.com and search. And only post if you have your flame suit on.

20. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

maybe you should start with www.jeepsunlimited.com they don't take to kindly to people that ask questions about swaping in a 4.0 in a 97 TJ. Not that there's anything wrong with asking, that's the only way you'll learn, but those guys are serious offroaders, and don't like to explain those types of things. To those guys 36" tires are small, and you have a pansy rig if you don't have at least dana 60's front and rear.