Any S4 owners???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Turd Furgeson, May 10, 2004.

1. Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson New Member

I am thinking about picking up a 2000 S4 with 47k on it. I was really concerned about the turbos going bad. I checked the Audi forums, and have seen some stories about early 2000 models blowing turbos. But one thing I have learned about car forums, it that most people usually outweight the bad issues over the good. Any S4 owners out there that can give a non biased opinion?

2. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

I'll agree that people are more likely to post something negative than somthing positive

I heard about the trubos going bad but there was a fix about the oil lines and i thought i remember something bout coil packs going bad. Good luck getting one man, they are slick cars

3. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

replace the throttle body boot, APR (www.goapr.com) has a nice replacement part

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:mamoru: Sounds like my old car - is it yellow?

PS. the more expensive problem with 00s (although less frequent) is the transmission - mine was replaced, and I knew a few guys in my area with the same problem, and if it would not have been for warranty it would have cost me about $14,000

5. Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson New Member

Did you have turbo problems? The car im looking at is silver. Why did you get rid of yours?

6. Mugatu

I had no turbo problems but I did have to replace the throttle body boot three times :dunno:

I got rid of mine because I could no longer afford it after being out of work for a while :o

7. Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson New Member

I heard about the TBB and the F hose problem, So I was thinking of doing them as a preventative maintenance. I drove the car tonight and it seemed perfect. No unusual noises from the turbos, trans shifted fine. What an awesome car to drive. I will post pics after I pick it up.

8. Mugatu

:cool: best of luck

For me, the weird thing was that after I got my car chipped I never had to replace another TBB, all of mine cracked when the car was stock. For eveyone else I knw it was just the opposite :dunno:

9. Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson New Member

What chip did you use? Yesterday was the first time I ever drove one, and I was really overly impressed with the performance, handling, etc. Everyone says that putting in a chip is like a night and day difference, but turbo failure is much more common. Ah well, I guess if they do blow, it would be worth it to do the K04 upgrade

10. Mugatu

Well I had a kind of unique situation for a while - the dealer in the Phoenix area, Scottsdale Audi, was an APR dealer and would modify the heck out of cars and not give any problems about warranty. They did EVERYTHING including upgrading turbos, intercoolers, exhaust, cat-back, chips, suspension, whatever.

So I went with APR (which I purchased from them so that I would not have any warranty hassles). I was quite happy with the APR so I don't have any personal problems recommending it (the dealership, to their credit, did do quite a bit of testing of a bunch of chip suppliers before they went with APR).

As far as the turbo problems - what I would do if I were you is to check that the TBB is the latest version (Audi came out with a couple of upgrades after all the problems and I think that's why mine stopped tearing despite the chip) and also MAKE SURE that you upgrade the bypass valves!!!

The stock cheapo ones can easily leak and that is not at all good for the turbos. I went with forge ones but many people simply went to their dealer and purchased a couple of BPVs for the TT (they are stronger but still Audi branded so you shouldn't have to worry about any warranty hassles or whatever).

Good luck!

11. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

fyi: I own a 2000 A6 2.7T 6 speed

I replaced the f-hose with the mtm unit (spendy but nice), switched to 710N's for the BPV (Audi TT ones as said above), and got an APR bi-pipe to replace the factory rubber tbb with a metal unit (see www.goapr.com for info on the bi-pipe - also, pretty spendy unit). I did all of this as preventive maintenance when I first got the car.

There are alternatives to what I got as others have mentioned.

12. trickdaddie

trickdaddie Official Transmogrification Technician

I've got a 2000 S4 6 speed with 56300 miles on it. I had to replace my TBB once, and right now I have a bad MAF sensor, and an o2 sensor going bad. I love my car tho. I've heard of people with 2000's that have 90k chipped miles on the original turbos. It would be smart to try to find one that is Audi Assured. I paid about 1000-1500 to have mine assured, but it paid off when I had to have the radio replaced. Replacement radios are about 1000 bucks, and I only had to pay $50 deductible. Same with my climate control unit. It was making an annoying buzzing sound, and I had it replaced for 50 bucks.

I went with Bailey Motorsports BPVs and I'm running a GIAC X Chip. check my sig for other mods.

13. Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson New Member

Well I passed on that car. My friend is a used car manager at a local dealership. They put it up on the lift, and found it had a pretty bad oil leak, so I passed on it. He is gonna try and find me a clean 01 that is still covered under factory warranty, that I can extend. If anyone wants to sell theirs, let me know

14. haqh0re

haqh0re Guest

I was going to get a 2001.5 S4 Silver on black with sports package (alum. trim and alcentara sued inserts) but i fell in love with my R32 lol. If you do get one i would try to find on thats in the best condition possible. The turbos are a problem but hey since the S4 is rapidly dropping in price, once your turbos go getting a stage III set up sounds like a good idea to me :big grin:

15. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

Do the turbos fail just as much with newer years? Or is it just a matter of miles/time for all the s4s?

16. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

01.5 and 02's are the best.

17. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Coilpacks seem to be a problem that Volkswagen AG cars have, never figured it out myself. Turbos only go bad if the previous owner drove like a douche. But if he babied it and it's in good condition, hit it. Er. Buy it.