any runners? v 4:59 mile goal

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by mikeskillz, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

lately i've been running more, and i'd eventually (maybe a year from now?) like to do a marathon. i run 2 miles to the gym and lift, then run 2 miles back, and every so often i'll skip the gym and just do a 7 mile run.

i set a personal goal, mostly for bragging rights, to do a 4:59 mile. i've gotten down to a 5:30ish but im wondering what i can do to increase my speed. are there certain workouts or exercises i can do to increase my speed and endurance whilst (almost) sprinting? or is it just something i need to get through repetition.

2. cura

cura New Member

I am not a total expert on this ( I run ~6 min miles), but training at short distances at faster speeds may help.

Good luck!

3. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

HIIT may be just what the doctor ordered.

4. Duck Hunter

Duck Hunter New Member

Run sets of 400's and 800's

5. Moolex

Moolex New Member

Came in here to post this. Also, practice timed miles on AND off the track.

6. Moolex

Moolex New Member

Strategy is good for 10-15 seconds depending on how you usually run it. If you plan out your entire run and have a plan for each 100M it really helps.

7. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

i dont know what this is :hs:

8. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

HIIT

If you are in shape, most people here would recommend you do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) where you work out at high intensities for short intervals (who would have imagined?) This technique burns a much more fat then slow cardio.

In the stickies :hs:

9. SmartPowders

SmartPowders New Member

I've ran in the 4's. You have to do speed work, running a mile under 5 minutes is a semi sprint. I personally suggest 200-400 work. I never ran over 500m during training, but was able to break 5. The key to doing it is equal pace. Right now you need to go out and set a watch to go off every 19 seconds. Find a running track and see how far you can make it at the right pace before you die. You have to cover 100 meters just shy of 19 seconds in order to run a 5:00 mile.

One way to get yourself used to the pace, do 350 workouts. You'll run 350 meters at 1:00-1:05 pace, slow jog 50 meters, then run again. This assumes a running track obviously. You have to teach your body to handle that pace. Outside of that, I'd simply do some 400 repeats at 1:10, walk 200 meters, then do it again. Repeat that till you can't do it. You'll eventually get there.

10. sam758

sam758 OT Supporter

are you already wearing spikes/

11. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

what are those?

12. toconnx

toconnx New Member

lightweight track flats that have "holes" in the bottom to screw in spikes...

But as a lot of people said, HIIT for the win in this scenario. Here are a few schemes that I used to follow when I ran track :

4 x 200, 3 x 300, 2 x 400, 1 x 600 and then back down with 200 meters of extremely slow jogging between every sprint. You'll want to kill yourself.

2 mile run at a moderate pace, 8 x 200 with 100 meters jogging between each one, 1 mile run at a moderate pace.

2 x 400, 2 x 800, 2 x 400. 400 meters sllloowww jogging in between each one.

When we did stuff like this, we called it a "hell day". You'll find out why. It's okay to puke :hs:

13. SmartPowders

SmartPowders New Member

He doesn't need spikes for this run.

14. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

Similar to what I ran for 800m training at times. :wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.