Any runners in here?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Godspeed, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Any tips for getting a faster time? Right now i'm running about a 21:30-22:00 3-mile time and i want to get it down to 19:00 by the summer. 18:00 is my main goal but i'm kind of a newbie when it comes to running so i dont know how realistic that is.

Lately what i've been doing is running timed miles. Like if i can only do 3 miles at a 7:30 clip, i'll get on a track and push for a 7:00 mile. Then the next time i run, i try running at the same pace but for a slightly longer distance. I build up that way till i get to 3 miles. I also throw in some sprints at the end maybe once a week.

Should i keep going like this or are there any better strategies?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I'm no one to ask about running times, but maybe make a thread in Teh Barracks... all of those guys had to get their mile times down... i'm sure they have some tips

3. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

that's true. however, even with all the bullshit that floats around F&N, i love the plethora of info w/ links that everyone seems to have. I figured if there were a bunch of weightlifting studs here, then there has to be at least a couple running nuts floating around here as well.

4. Green_lightning

Green_lightning Member

How often do you run and how much at a time? You might want to try having distance runs as well i.e. running farther as you mentioned which will help more than just running mile repeats with no consistency.

5. BeerSteak

BeerSteak New Member

You should try throwing in a long run of seven or eight miles once a week. Also try some shorter intervals on the track, maybe 800 meters, at faster than race pace. Hill repeats are a good way to get in shape quickly and build strength. The message board at www.letsrun.com has a ton of training information.

6. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I run every other day and usually i will only run around 1 mile to 2 miles on those days. I've been wanting to run a longer distance but lately, i've been having my 3-mile timed every week so i never have a chance to do a long distance run. i'm going to start doing that now.

7. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I did a little research the other day and i'm going to start doing a little of what you are say. i was thinking of a split like:

Day 1 - 1 Mile run (fast pace); 4 100 meter sprints w/ light jog rest

Day 2 - OFF

Day 3 - Morning: 5 Up-Hill sprints w/ 30 seconds rest in between.
    Evening: 5 Mile Endurance jog

Day 4 - OFF

Day 5 - 3 mile timed run

Day 6 - OFF

Day 7 - OFF

Something like that. I will slowly build up to where i run 2/3 days per 1 off day.

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

i only run when something 2x my bodyweight or larger is chasing me

9. knowledge

knowledge Bike Crew Lurker

Youre training for a 5k so when practicing, do more than that. Running one or two miles a day is not going to help much. You should run ~4 miles on your shortest days.
    As mentioned already, run a 7-8 miler a week, and you should not be running a race pace 5k every week (good chance you'll burn out). But remember, do not rush into this. Try to raise your mileage ~15% a week, any more and there is a good chance of injury.

10. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

at what pace should i run the 7-8 miler??

How should i do speed training like on Day 1 if i need to keep my distance up? just increase the amount of sprints/jog rests until i cover 4 miles?

also, what should i do on Day 5 instead of a race pace 3 miler? more endurance or speed?

11. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I ran into the liquor store last night... I had one minute left when I pulled in to the parking lot

12. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

i hope you stretched :squint:

13. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I didnt... and I'm paying for it today. I can barely walk

14. knowledge

Run the 7-8 miler at whatever pace you can handle. Just make sure you get in the miles.

For speed training, run half or 3/4 mile intervals with a jog period of around the same distance. I'm not sure what you're training for, but if it is something like cross country, doing these intervals up hills>*.

On the day you wanted to run the race pace 5k, go and bust out like 5 miles or something. Make sure you run warm ups and cool downs too (maybe 1/2 mile each). You can include these to your mileage as well.

15. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

You have to vary your training. You should have speed work days, where you do like a 200, 400, 800 or something similar so many times, going from a fast speed or a sprint, several times.

You should also have your LSD days, where you run a long run (maybe like 7 miles for you?) which will give you more endurance.

Be sure to time your 3 mile, and keep trying to get it down. You'll be fine.

16. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

so basically just elephants or automobiles? :cool:

17. jonno

jonno New Member

or jonno

18. knowledge

When I was a runner, I trained for 5k's. The intervals are long, but they make a huge differnce. You do like 4-6 of them once a week and that is all the speed training that you need.

19. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Hey, you should of asked that in The Barracks, because we all had to figure out how to run well very fast (well, us Marines anyway).

Anyways, a big help was just the techniques they taught us.

The best way to run, and I know it works because when I first started trying it my time got better by a minute and a half, is sprinting for a little bit, then slowing down for a little while, then sprinting again.

When I say sprinting, I don't mean you're running at 100% max speed, but at a good pace you can handle running. To keep focused, you pick points that you want to run at. If you're running down a street, pick the next street sign, and run your ass off to it.

No matter how tired we get, we never stop or walk or anything, but we had that beat into us, so if you currently stop and walk at all when you get tired, it will hurt you a lot.

Hydrating a lot the day before a run does wonders, if you have problems with getting thirsty during a run. I don't even have to drink anymore after a run because I stay so hydrated.

Just run using these tips about 3 times a week. Doing the 1 mile sprint thing you were talking about can only help, because your first mile of your 3 mile run should be sprinting pretty fast anyways. However, just running the 3 miles using the technique I told you will work just fine, because you're sprinting and running long distance at the same time, so you're killing 3 birds with 1 stone. You're getting better at sprinting, you're getting better at long distance running, and you're getting better at sprinting and running long distance in one running session, instead of splitting.

Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.