Any routing gurus here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illmatix, Nov 16, 2004.

1. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

Hey guys, I have a weird problem and could use some help. Here goes... I have DSL at my house and I'm trying to route the internet traffic to an upstairs room in my house where I have an independent LAN set up. Basically, it goes like this: The DSL comes in and is NATed to a 172.16.0.x subnet by a 2Wire Home Portal router that SBC sells. The 2 Wire provides wireless and LAN connectivity to that subnet and I have verified that it works. Now, the 2 Wire is also an HPNA system, meaning that I can use a special PCI HPNA network adapter and get any PC online in the house by simply plugging it into a phone jack and get a 10mbps network connection to the 2Wire. Great... so I have a Windows 2000 Server box with a 3Com NIC and the HPNA adapter in the same box with RRAS set up. I plugged the HPNA adapter into the phone jack and the 3Com into a 10/100 Hub. My 2Wire is 172.16.0.1 and the HPNA adapter in my W2K box is 172.16.0.20. The 3Com in my W2k box is 192.168.0.20. I set up a single static route on the 2Wire for the network 192.168.0.0 with a destination of 172.16.0.20 and a metric of 1 and now when I plug a laptop into the 192.168.0.x hub, I can ping 192 AND 172 addresses so local routing works. The problem is that I can't route past 172.16.0.1 from the 192 subnet. I've only used RRAS to route with RIP and OSPF aware routers before, and normally this is all you have to do. I'm confused now... is it the 2Wire that doesn't know how to route to the 192 subnet from a public network? (I only have a dynamic IP account so routing becomes much more complex for the 2Wire) Or do I need to configure some kind of a default route to the internet on my W2k box? Help?? :wtc:

ibBridgebutidontwantto

2. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Why the metric of 1? Wouldn't that mean it'll only go one hop then stop? Been a few years since I played around with routing...

Did you say you can hit the internet from the 172 network?

3. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

The metric denotes the number of router hops until it reaches the destination... which in this case is 1. And yes, I can hit the internet from the 172 network... but not from 192. The 192 network can hit the 172 network but cannot go beyond. Any ideas?

:wtc: