MIL Any ROTC guys attend LTC?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by General Dissary, Jun 6, 2007.

1. General Dissary

General Dissary New Member

Hey all! I am about to ship off to LTC (Leadership Training Course) in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone here has attended.

Id like to know what to expect and such before I go. Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks! :wiggle:

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Which one is this one? They change the names every other week to confuse us old guys.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Did somebody say old guys? :hsugh:

4. General Dissary

I believe they used to call it "Basic Camp" previously.

They way I understood it is that it is designed to give prospective cadets a taste of Army life and an evaluation of whether or not one is awarded a scholarship. I think only the guys and gals on the 2yr plan go to this one.

5. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

a bunch of gayness most likely, you should have gone to basic and the reserves or guard like me, more money plus you get to go to basic which I think every soldier should have to go through officer or not

6. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

BTW had I not done that, I would probably be going down there with you, instead I am going to air assault. do you even get paid for that?

7. General Dissary

Yeah that option was brought up by a ntl guard recruiter but he never followed through with any of it. But I am still planning on joining the reserves or guard once I get back.

I believe I would be making E5 pay and would shadow officers during drill and they let you perform some of their tasks and such.

This deal is just 4 weeks long so I am sure its not as intense as basic but I am just wondering if anyone else out there has gone.

8. shiba

shiba Active Member

You're just wasting your time then if you're still planning on enlisting. LTC is suppose to suppose to be boot camp without the yelling and suffering. Its such a joke but it gets people all riled up and gung ho about the army because they went through "a tough 4 weeks of training" and a genuine soldier. Honestly there is no advice to give you other than to have fun and to take it for what its worth. You learn some stuff here and there but nothing too intense that would either hurt you or make you change your mind about joining ROTC. IMO you should have took this summer and gone through basic.

YOu are correct about the reserves in that you would make E5 pay with a CSR rank. They would either make you a PL or assistant PL but you'll do a lot less than you think. Mostly sitting around and talking with a few meetings here and there.

9. Why would you go through basic if you want to finish college. We had a couple Guard kids go through basic trying to get contracted so they could finish college and not get deployed since they heard word of their unit going this summer.

LTC is exactly what everyone said in this thread. A watered down version of basic that is supposed to get you more interested in ROTC. I will be leaving on Monday for it. Woo 94 degrees Ft. Knox here I come...

Also don't forget you can go to Air Assault and Airborne and stuff too. After LTC I'm goin to Airborne. Hopefully next summer I will go to Air Assault.

10. shiba

shiba Active Member

IMO a good leader should start at the bottom, that way he will get a feel of how soldiers operate and how things are suppose to be done. It also teaches you things like teambuilding which LTC and ROTC emphasizes to a lesser degree.

One thing that some ROTC cadets do is to do a split option training and go through basic for one summer. ONce they are back, they sign the ROTC contract which discharges them from their enlisted contract and make them a fulltime cadet. You lost the benefits but gain the experience.

ALso being in the reserves or guard gives the cadets more options in term of what they want to do in the army. A contracted cadet could only go active while a SMP cadet has both guard and reserve option guarenteed. It is also a lot easier to get the branch you want by getting a BNR from a guard or reserve unit that is from the branch of your choice. You gain some platoon leader time in the meanwhile and all you do is to attend drill. Even then you could RST them and use ROTC events as the makeup.

Lastly, THere is a memo out from higher up that any cadet with one proven semester, meaning you recieved a grade on a transcript, and intends to continue with ROTC is non-deployable.

LTC is a waste of time.

11. I would have signed the papers for SMP BUT once you do that you have to go active duty guard or whatever and I just want to go active duty. LTC is going to be fun I don't care what you say, however I agree that a good leader knows what his soldiers have been through.

12. General Dissary

Thanks all!

13. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

shiba, contracted cadets don't automatically go AD. it depends on the status of your school and your accessions packet, i know we were given a box to check, reading "reserve forces duty" or something to that effect.

you are right about goin guard or reserve though, pickin your future job FTW

i have to work hard if i wanna get my 1st choice where some of my friends need to simply pass through ldac with a grade of S

14. shiba

shiba Active Member

Well thats true, you have the ability to ask for NG or reserves but thats not guaranteed. My PMS told us that the ROTC program in general was having difficulty making quotas for active duty officers and was trying to convince SMP cadets to switch over. Not sure how much truth there is to it because I didnt do the research myself. Its just that if you went SMP you would have more options available to you. SMP cadets do not have to go active guard, all cadets are able to go AD if they want. However, if you are ranked low on the OML, going guard or reserve is a good idea because it would at least guarantee the branch you want instead of getting stuck with something you do not want to do during your 4 years of AD.

LTC will be fun don't get me wrong, My friend who went through it cannot stop talking about it. I just feel that its a waste of time mainly because you can spend a lil extra time with BCT and reap the benefits from it.

For example, in the financial side, you would get drill pay(e5), ROTC stipend ($500+), MGIB ($400+) per month. On top of that if you get TA you might recieve a nice refund check from the school.

Anyways have fun with it because you're going to get to do some stuff you won't see in the civilian world.

15. General Dissary

Thanks! Allot of this stuff sounds great! But its like the first time ive heard of allot of it, my recruiters really dropped the ball. I even have to track down my guard recruiter to find out what happens next!

I have another question guys, whats the diff if any between going guard or reserves?

16. shiba

shiba Active Member

NG has combat arms MOS and branches.

17. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

I was a TAC at LTC. Basically, the cadets best friend (not a drill sgt)

PM ME with your questions.

18. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

That's not true at all. You only have to go guard if you receive a national guard scholarship (and thus commit to the NG).

You can do NG and apply for active duty during accessions, it's an easy process.

19. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Are you scared of heights? If so good luck on the high ropes course. lol, that shit was worse than the slide for life or the rope drop.

20. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I went to it at Ft Knox it completly turned me off from the Army, I came back turned down the scholorship they were offering me and am now an Lt in the AF.

it was unorganized, at times meaningless, and overall nothing like the capt at the rotc detachment told me it would be like...thank god i signed nothing before i went

21. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

The breakfast they serve at the Ft. Campbell chow hall was really good.

22. burton564

burton564 New Member

What DFAC you go to, the food there sucks now and since i have to pay to eat there, i really don't want to go pay for shitty food.

23. Just got back from LTC a couple days ago. Wasn't really physically challenging. However my eyes are opened to how much everyone hates cadets haha.

24. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

Welcome to Cadetland :jerkit:

25. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

LTC is teh gay i imagine. I just went to basic after high school and stayed enlisted for a while, then finished ROTC later.