Any rock climbers in here?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Hunt, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunt

Hunt Active Member

So at the end of the summer, after I'd stopped climbing for about 4 months, I remember doing sets of 25+ proper pullups. This is also after hitting the gym consistently for about 4 months.

Now that I'm at school I've pretty much reversed it. Been climbing for about 4/5 months and haven't been working out consistently at all.

Went to do some pullups today and could barely get to ten :hsugh:. I kind of freaked out. My climbing has been getting a LOT stronger, and I thought there would be some kind of correlation between that and back strength (I thought I'd be able to do 25 pullups no problem because my back has been getting regular workouts) , but it seems I have lost a lot of strength.

Any ideas why this might have happened? Aside from being surprised I guess I don't care too much, seeing as my climbing has improved... but it just seems weird that I've improved and yet lost strength?

2. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

have you gained weight

3. Hallock

Hallock New Member

Your movement is rock climbing probably isn't reflected in your weighlifting program.

A lot of gym-specific movements don't translate directly to sport-specific movement. If you ever read articles by alpine climbers (Mark Twight, et al), most of them advocate Olympic and HIIT movements, under the belief that an increase in explosive power translates better.

I like to bike, but I don't bike any better now that I squat 325 than I did when I squatted 135.

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I climb. Used to teach it at an indoor facility actually.

1) Climbing is mostly in your legs. Once you get passed that initial newbie phase of climbing when your arms/back/legs/shoulders hurt, you rarely get sore except for your forearms when doing intense sessions.
    Proper climbing is going to be 90% balance, leg support, finger strength. Very little usage of the back.

2) Pullups seem to be a movement that you only get good at by doing pullups. I remember busting out 20 pullups no problem. Then due to a shoulder injury I just stopped doing them for a year. My row numbers were up, deadlift numbers were up, lat pulldown numbers were up.... I was stronger overall. Then I hopped on a pullup bar and had trouble doing 10 strict reps.
    A month of doing pullups again fixed that.
    Again, you want to get good at pullups... just do pullups.

3) As stated earlier, Olympic style lifts tend to transfer better to rockclimbing. These types of lifts help with balance and explosiveness... Which are both going to be very important when performing dynamic (dyno) moves on the rocks.

A few of my friends that climb very regularly and are decent sized and carry their weight VERY well on a rockwall... better than myself even. Yet, in a gym, the weight they are capable of moving is a lot less than you'd expect.

5. Ep

Ep Guest

I climb, usually 3 days a week. I actually stopped lifting for rock climbing at one point because rock climbing was so much more fun and less monotonous. ( Obviously won't get you the same physique though)

Pullups, like already stated, will get you good at pullups. You don't need to be able to do 25 pullups to be a good climber, it does help though. Climbing is legs, forearms and core strength. There was an 8 year old girl who owned the comp a few months ago, climbing v12 boulder problems (and NY gyms don't grade easily compared to other states) and I doubt she can do a shit ton of pullups

6. calteg

calteg Those who would sacrifice personal liberty for sec OT Supporter

Don't take things so seriously...life will kill yo
    This. I'm still in the newb try-to-campus-everything phase. As the routes I try get more technical, I'm realizing theres a lot to be said for core and leg strength

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.