MIL Any recruiters in the house? I have some questions...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by psykosis, Oct 23, 2009.

1. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I don't care which branch, but I need to get my stepson into the military. He's headed down the wrong path, and already has a record, and I don't see anything short of the military saving this kid. Is it possible for him to enlist with a record? If so, what hoops does he need to jump through? I know fuckall about this stuff, so keep it simple for my simple mind. Thanks in advance.

2. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

It sounds good in theory to send him to the military, but if he doesn't want to be in, he'll find a way out one way or another, and with an even worse record at that.

3. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

It depends on the severity of the record (misdemeanors, felonies, etc.) He will not be able to join if he is on probation. Don't post personal info like that here. PM SSG Schwartz instead. He is a recruiter. He can answer all your questions.

4. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

Good luck. From what I'm hearing the recruiters aren't dealing with anyone who's got any waivers because of the amount of applicants they have.

5. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Yep. Not have a diploma, having a record, being even slightly over weight will all hinder your chances of joining. Shit even when I first started talking to the Air Force/ Navy they told me college credits were preferred.

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

If he really wants to get in he can probably get in...but without really wanting to himself it wont look to good...

7. psykosis

He's mentioned he wants to go. I had no idea, because it's never something I pictured him doing (he HATES authority, even though he is in the wrong almost every time and blows it way out of the water). So I'm not forcing him in somewhere he doesn't want to be. He wants to save his own life too, but has no idea how.

He has a semester or two of college under his belt. He also has a felony B&E charge and probation violation (which he's serving now).

I think he wants to join. I also think he's out of choices and he knows it. And I also know many people in the military don't want convicts in. I've been told they can be the most problematic of people who enlist.

In any case, he either needs the military or some sort of boot camp. I'll have to look into if people offer "boot camp" services without it being military. He needs guidance, and a firm hand. I see no other options for him.

8. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

The Army should take him with a waiver, those college credits help, just dont expect to have all the jobs open to him, because most require a Security clearance which he wont pass with his record, as far as I know. :dunno:

9. Mr. Monopoly

College credits are cool, but yeah like Burrito said, it'll take a bit with the Security Clearance.

10. Julius

Julius Guest

keep him out of here. we have enough problems with this shit already.

11. boomintempo

boomintempo New Member

You need a secret clearance to work on aircraft or the flightline. I know the Air Force and Navy probably wouldn't take him, unless he was some sort of genius.

He would probably be able to get into the Army, but would require wavers. And as everyone else stated, he would probably have to wait a while if he needed a security clearance. Even though I know people who told their recruiters about abusing drugs and stuff and they still got their clearance...they just can't work certain jobs (PRP).

12. psykosis

I think he'd be fine with whatever he could get. Anything construction related he'd be fine with, as he's done construction work for years, or anything mechanical.

I'm afraid there will be a lot of this attitude towards him (not that he doesn't deserve it, he's fucked up and will readily admit it).

He'd be fine with that. And I'd see him in the Army or Marines before the Navy or Air Force.

13. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

No way. There are so many people that I have met in the Army the past year that have some sort of criminal history. Besides, he doesn't have to tell anyone anything once he's in. Don't worry about what people will think or whatever because of his past, all people really care about, from what I've noticed so far, is what you can bring to the table right now, as opposed to what you forgot to bring yesterday. :mamoru:

Drill into him that if he is eligible for enlistment, he needs to pick a job that would make him happy and stay relevant to his interests for a couple years. Never settle for an MOS. That is the worst fucking thing in the world you could do when you enlist.

14. psykosis

15. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

Military Occupation Specialties

The job you will do in the Military.

16. Mr. Monopoly

Tell him to have them in mind BEFORE seeing the recruiter. Otherwise, the recruiter's gonna shove him toward the most needed one. At least the majority will.

17. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

No matter what job the recruiter shows him, it will always be, "The best job in the Army" :rofl:

18. psykosis

thanks for the heads up. Does he need a specific job in mind, or just a general range like construction or mechanical or something...

19. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

The recruiter will have to do extra work to get him in. Look at it from the recruiter's perspective: will I do extra work for some chump convict who only wants to enlist in a specific MOS? or will I do extra work for a convict who wants in and is flexible, someone I can put in a job that pops open and fill my quota faster?

20. psykosis

Well, I imagine he would have a job in mind going in to meet the recruiter, but he also knows he is out of options, so he'd take pretty much whatever is offered to him.

21. teabagn

teabagn New Member

22. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

Has good translation to the civilian world....:hsugh:

23. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

It would be better for him to walk in and request something generic like construction or mechanic, rather than get his mind set on one MOS.

24. psykosis

noted.

Also, would a letter of recommendation help him get in? My wife's cousin is an Army Ranger, and would be willing to write a letter for my stepson if it will help.

25. Mr. Monopoly

I don't really think it would unless he needed it for a character waiver or something. I don't recall a place in the process where you could submit one?