COMIC Any Recommendations for a comic collector out of the hobby for a while?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Coheed and Cambria, May 6, 2007.

1. Coheed and Cambria

Coheed and Cambria OT Supporter

After like an 8 year hiatus, I picked up Civil War and decided I was going to start my collection again. I forgot to pick up #2 and I just completely gave up again.

Any recommendations on good books this year?

2. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

What kind of comics did you read in the past? Comics have come a long way this decade as far as overall quality is concerned; the writers, pencilers, inkers, letterers; they've all improved vastly by that token.

If you like superhero comics, I'd recommend just pursuing whatever you used to like right now (assuming that was your fare back in the day). Both companies are kind of in a lull right now; Civil War left the Marvel uni in a bad shape, as did the Infinite Crisis and One Year Later for DC. However, DC is shaping up to be back into the swing of things whereas Marvel still has to show what the heck is going on.

For DC, I'd recommend Teen Titans, Justice League of America, and Justice Society of America. For solo titles, I could only recommend Green Lantern or Detective Comics.

For Marvel, the status quo is a little out of whack. My favorite title is Moon Knight. The good ensemble titles are New Avengers and (perhaps) Mighty Avengers. As always, the X-titles are a huge clusterfuck, but if that's your cup of tea...

3. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

I'll sell you my entire collection for $1000. Now that I have what I want, I really want to stop. :(

4. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

I stopped reading comics 10-12 yrs ago. (How long ago was spawn 50?) But somebody posted "the walking dead" 1-34 in afterhours the other month and I decided to give it a chance. Its a black and white zombie book. It starts off like 28 days later where the guy wakes out of a coma, it gets pretty good and I'm not into zombie books at all. So I'm looking for other stuff to read at work, since I realized you can put comic books on the PSP. :eek: I'm reading marvel civil war right now, but its just eehhh. I think I read a post that somebody recommended "invincible" i'm not sure what its about, I found a torrent for it off pirates bay and then downloaded the recent issues off newsgroups.

http://geekscape.net/ is a video podcast and forums for comicbooks, video games, movies. They usually recommend some good stuff too.

5. Macgyver

Macgyver Deep beneath the rolling waves...

I wasn't really into comics when I was a kid, and just recently picked them up.

The Ultimates are awesome.

New Avengers was a great run before civil war split em up, so now I'm reading both spinoffs. (New Avengers and Mighty Avengers)

I caught up on Wolverine origins yesterday, great story.

Ultimate Spider-Man has a bunch of really good story arcs, but to sit and read em all is a chore.

I loved the 1602 books.

Planet Hulk is amazing, great great epic story.

I really like the Ultimate Universe as a whole, it's alot of fun for someone that wasn't steeped in the the extensive history of the 616 universe. (That's what Wikipedia is for, lol..)

6. bluesphx

bluesphx Member

Y the last man is one of my favorites of all time

7. Coheed and Cambria

Coheed and Cambria OT Supporter

I'm down for more mature graphic novels since I haven't really ditched the manga scene completely. Superhero-wise I was a big Iron Man and FF fan. I was only a though when I collected and didn't bother to follow a series. I'd just get whatever appealed at the moment or what was in the bargain bin. I did have the trade of Indiana Jones miniseries by Dark Horse. :bowdown: