Any real nutritionists here? Question about sodium.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Hannibal King, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal King

Hannibal King OT Supporter

ok hopefully you guys can understand this question. OK so i know that sodium is bad for your body in terms of blood pressure cholesterol and shit like that. I try to eat healthy but usually healthy foods tastes like shit to me unless i put a shit load of sodium in them. LIke my chicken i use seasoning and i use a lot of hot sauce on my foods which contain nothing but sodium. Ok so i was wondering from a body builders perspective (I really don't care what it does to me on the inside) how does sodium affect my muscle growth, strength and how my physique looks. Does it weaken me? Will it make me fatter? Hopefully you guys understood my question.

2. synthetic

synthetic New Member

sodium is an electrolyte used by the heart to pump blood, as is its counter element potassium.... you want to keep a good balance between these two.. execess of sodium leads to kidney stones/kidneys damage (and usually meat proteins are laoded with sodium, thus the bad rep of eating too much protien). It has no direct effect on muscle growth and physique. But you know you can always google instead of having someone on a forum do it for you.

Careful with hot sauce abuse, it gave me GERD

3. Hannibal King

Hannibal King OT Supporter

what's GERD.

and the reason i didn't google is because i'd rather have people give me personal accounts on how it affects them personally.

4. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Nothing wrong with sodium as long as there isn't a history of elevated BP or heart disease.

5. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

it will probably cause you to retain water, therefore creating that bloated effect

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

1) I believe I remember reading that sodium itself typically won't "cause" high blood pressure and the other associated problems... It merely makes it much worse in individuals who are genetically susceptible and already have those issues. Though, the negatives of excessive sodium intake are nothing to take lightly, whether your genetically predisposed to problems or not.

2) Sodium will cause your body to retain water. Excess sodium can often created a water-bloated look to the muscles and belly.

3) GERD is common disease that causes acid to spill out of the stomach and up the esophagus causing acid reflux and heart burn. I have this, and it sucks. Though, it has nothing to do with salt and usually occurs in people who's parents had it, or especially if you had asthma growing up. Hot sauce can make it worse (hence sythetic's warning) but it won't necessary cause it, and has little to do with sodium.

4) Salt is necessary to a healthy body. Like all things in life, moderation is key. Too little = bad new. Too much = bad news.

7. Ep

Ep Guest

You should try lowering your sodium intake, try not using salt on anything. Eventually, (and this works with sugar as well) salty shit will be so overly salty to you that it will taste awful. Problem solved

For eggs or chicken you can use mrs dash or whatever it is. A salt substitute and not bad at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.