Any plain old punk fans out there?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by FstrungUCoutT, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Seriously. I've been on this forum for a few months now and I really haven't seen too many real punk fans around. I'm not talking the new poppy stuff. Granted some of it is alright but I'm talking just straight up punk. And not the gutterpunk/crustpunk crap either like the Casualties. I'm talking bands like this:

Bad Religion
    Dead Kennedys
    Rancid
    Limp
    Social Distortion
    The Clash

and even some of the newer, non-mainstream punk. Like"
    Bigwig
    My Chemical Romance
    Senses Fail
    Millencolin
    NOFX

Hell even punk/ska. I just don't see anyone representing the punk or punk/ska on here at all.

2. SoBrokenHearted

SoBrokenHearted summer unfolded like a tapestry

Yeah, I'm a punk fan. I love a lot of new punk and old punk. NOFX, The Vandals, Anti-Flag, Against Me!, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Adolescents, Bad Religion, and Agent Orange. Stuff like that.

3. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

That's pretty much all I listen to. It drives my wife nuts. She listens to stuff like Elton John and Neil Diamond. I typically prefer stuff that's not mainstream, but for some reason the mainstream stuff isn't very mainstream in Utah. Most people in Utah that listen to punk listen to the pop-punk.

Speaking of Ska, I miss the Aquabats and Reel Big Fish. There's a good local ska band in Utah called Insatiable. You should check them out. They have some funny stuff.

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

You guys all left off Black Flag and the Misfits, and the first couple albums from Suicidal Tendencies. :o

5. my apologize for leaving out Black Flag, I hope Henry Rollins doesn't find me and kill me. That guys scares the piss out of me. And sorry for leaving out the Misfits and Suicidal Tendencies.

I miss RBF too. They were a lot of fun to watch live. I especially liked them cuz they hated people crowd-surfing. I used to think it was cool until people kept getting thrown on the back of my head. And ahhhhh the Aquabats. Some weird guys in that band. Too bad Travis is now wasting his time with the new, Brittany-Spears-fan-friendly Blink182.

There were a lot of great bands that I sorely miss. Spring Heeled Jack, Edna's Goldfish, The Pilfers (i miss hanging with Coolie), Ruder Than You, and lots more I can't think of right now cuz its 8:30AM and i'm friggin tired.

6. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

At least Tim Armstrong recognizes the talent and used him for the Transplants. Tim has a lot of things going on too. It seems like all of the guys from Rancid are doing other projects that do really well. I've been listening to Tiger Army a lot and Lars does the slide guitar on that. It almost seems like Tiger Army is a one man band because of all of the changes they go through and all the guests they have. Their drummer used to be the current drummer for AFI and their current bassist was the old bassist for AFI. Davey Havok does a lot of backup vocals and Lars is doing the slide guitar. It's nuts. It almost reminds me of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

Goldfinger has the ska/punk thing going on. They are a fun band to see live.

Lately I've been into listening to the Irish Punk (Dropkick and Flogging Molly). Does anyone know of any other good Irish Punk bands?

7. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

i, personally, am into some hardcore and punk stuff. i dig good riddance and rise against. plus many others, i just don't feel like namedropping. lates XXX

8. SoBrokenHearted

SoBrokenHearted summer unfolded like a tapestry

The Pogues, Blood or Whiskey, and Tossers

9. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

I Hate Cop Cars!

Me-mo Me-mo!

10. I'm a punk at heart. . My faves are Rancid, Propagandhi, Swingin' Utters, Anti-Flag, Ramones, Distillers, and my guilty pleasure is Green Day.

11. matt_c

matt_c Guest

:werd:

12. punx_00

punx_00 OT Supporter

some of my top bands are bad religion, anti-flag, Pennywise :bigthumb: , i saw NOFX last wedsday. great fucking show and i'm planning to catch a pennywise show in may, i can't wait :wiggle: so yea i'm a pretty big punk fan, but lately i'm also getting into the hardcore/screamo bands like atreyu and avenged sevenfold. i also miss reel big fish, they were so good the last time i saw them on warped tour '02.

13. EyeHateThis

EyeHateThis OT Supporter

werd, Bad Religion, Pennywise and A.F.I. fuckin' own when it comes to punk. And you can't leave Suicidal Tendencies, they mixed metal and punk to make some tight shit

14. Avenged Sevenfold is awesome. Bad Religion played probably one of the best shows I've ever been to. It was Bad Religion, Good Charolette (who actually were pretty decent live before they got super-MTv), Promise Ring, and some psychobilly band. It was definitly a diverse lineup. It was at Electric Factory in philly. Bad Religion ended up playing like 3 hour set. It was incredible.

15. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:ugh:

Sorry, can't agree with you there.

16. blazing187

blazing187 Guest

Punk Sucks I Dont Like Liesting To A Bunch Of Mutha Fuckers Screaming At The Top Of Their Lungs

17. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

:rofl: If you only were from DC and knew how funny that sounds. :rofl:

18. MAD PUNK inDC

nobody asked you, homo.

19. blazing187

blazing187 Guest

what it do then?

20. MAD PUNK inDC

if you have to fuckin ask, you obviously don't know enough about it to make a decision. Judging by your screen name (anything with "187" in it, usualy means try hard) you're probably to ignorant to find out.

21. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Any of you guys planning on going to the Face to Face "Farewell Tour"? I was so disappointed when I found out that they decided to call it quits. It's probably because they didn't get a lot of exposure. When they played at the Big Ass Show(?) there were not a lot of people at their stage. The Big Ass Show is a lot like the Warped Tour and has a few bands playing at the same time. So it was because some new radio played pop-punk band was playing at another stage. That was pretty disappointing too.

22. h0tw3ts1ut

h0tw3ts1ut New Member

Nobody on here even mentioned Fugazi. Talk about punk. Punk is definately not these clowns like Fat Mike and whatever dudes from Rancid and the Casualties and whatnots who expect you to take them seriously in clown hair and skintight biker outfits with "stud belts."

23. Fugazi is more hardcore than punk. At least most people would consider them hardcore. That's probably why no one's mentioned them. And I wasn't aware that to be considered "punk" you had a dress a certain way. I agree that the bondage pants and mohawks are kinda stupid, but how does that take away from their music? Last time I checked, punk wasn't about what you looked like. Greg Graffin (bad religion) looks like a science teacher or something, but he and the rest of the band still kick ass. And I'm pretty sure NOFX doesn't really expect you to take them seriously all the time. Punk isn't about what a band looks like or how they dress, its about the music and the lyrics. Plain and simple. End of story.

24. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I was on a buddy of mine's site the other day and they were having this same discussion. Some guy was saying that my friend's band isn't punk, they are Emo because of the way that they dress. Granted they are Emo, but not because of the way they because of their lyrics and the way they play. It's funny how many people think that your clothing makes you punk. It's like all the girls that are "soooo punk" because they wear a wife-beater and a tie like Avril Lavigne.

25. Yeah I was never into the "dressing for the scene" thing. I've been into punk for the past 10 years or so. I've never had a mohawk, don't have tatoos, never had metal spikes or a leather jacket with them in it, never owned a belt with the metal rivets, and I've never even dyed my hair a crazy color. I just never saw the need for it. I don't care if someone else does and I've never really criticized anyone for doing/wearing that kind of stuff, it was just never necessary for me. I was always more into the music and mainly the lyrics to really care what the hell I looked like. I give a lot of credit to punk bands like Bad Religion, Millencolin, Offspring (before they went sour), and The Descendents. BR, Offspring, and The Descendents all have at least one guy in the band with a Masters degree. And BR and The Descendents never really dressed all that punk on stage. So whatever. Sorry for the rant.