Any other WoW multiboxers here?

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Mike99TA, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Ok first of all, if you hate multiboxers or are here to whine about how they ruin the game, please stop now. Blizzard has declared it legal and I'm not going to respond to any whiners.

Now that that is out of the way, any other multiboxers here? I've been 5-boxing for something like 4 months now, currently running a 1 DK 4 Shaman team and owning Heroics. Pre-WoTLK I mostly PvPed with a 5 shaman team but I really just don't like PvP much in WoTLK.

Edit: Took a picture of my team as of today after my last CoS timed run:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: And another picture after a recent Heroic UP run:

[​IMG]

I do have a video I made of myself soloing (well, 5-boxing) the Heroic Gun'Drak boss fights with my team:

Click here to download the video in WMV format

[y]0bHEwQqYALw[/y]

I will be making more videos of boxing instances soon.

Now that I'm overgeared, I can do a lot of boss fights without having to heal my tank - this is where having 4 elemental shamans is a huge bonus (see DPS screenshot below against Trollgore - note my tank ended the fight at full health without being healed aside from healing stream totems LOL):

[​IMG]

I play on the Burning Legion US PvP server and run a guild "Multiplicity" that is strictly for multiboxers if anyone wants company. For more multiboxing information the best resource is http://www.dual-boxing.com

I'm sure people will ask how much it costs or why I spend so much on WoW, etc, and the answer is I don't. I started multiboxing with a computer I already had - Dual Core X2 2.2GHz, 3GB memory, 8600GT video card. Since then I've upgraded to a Phenom X4 2.5GHz OC to 2.8GHz, 6GB memory, and a 9800GT.

I use a single PC to multibox using the "Keyclone" software http://www.solidice.com/keyclone - Yes I pay for 5 WoW accounts, no its not that much money (less than half what I pay for cable/internet). :)

So, any other multiboxers here? Always interested in discussing strategies, etc. Also, I will be around for a bit so if anyone has any questions about my team, strategies, or any other questions feel free to ask and I will answer them.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Los

Los Active Member

8600? a little lacking there yes?

3. Mike99TA

Like I said, 9800GT now. But honestly I was able to 5 box just fine with the 8600 - obviously in Shattrath it was utterly horrid (replaced it before the first time I went to Dalaran) but everywhere else it worked OK.

The nice thing about the new processor and the 9800 is I can now mostly max out my graphics settings on the "main" window and still get ~50 FPS.

4. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

I multibox, but it is only 2 accounts at a time for leveling purposes with RAF.

Very fun to do and makes leveling a breeze. Duo'd a Rogue/Priest to 60 in 1 day 20 hours played. Currently leveling a Pally/Mage combo.

5. Boing

Boing OT Supporter

I only did it to RAF some characters up. I don't play enough to justify paying for 5 accounts, but that's fucking cool.

Have you gone back to own Kara yet?

6. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

And to the OP - I am seriously thinking about setting something up. Not as much as you. Maybe dual box or three.

Wife does dual box with Pally/Priest. So I just rock the DPS

7. Mike99TA

Kara is on my list of things to do soon, right behind MC :big grin: I've actually never been to Kara before (did not PvE in BC at all, just PvP) but I did run MC some pre-BC so I want to go back and own that content.

One thing I like about 5-boxing is it actually allows me to play less. For instance, From the moment I sit on my computer chair, I can run Heroic Gundrak, Heroic DTK, and Heroic CoS and be back logged off and doing something else in less than 1 1/2 hours (each instance takes about 25 minutes, plus a bit of travel time). Playing solo it sometimes takes me that long just to find a group and actually get everyone into the instance.

8. Mike99TA

I initially thought about just 2-3 boxing, but when I first tried it, I signed up a couple trial accounts, thought "wow this is so cool" and decided I wanted to be able to solo instances and do 5v5 arena solo, so I immediately went to 5 :)

I know lots of people that 2-3 box and love it though.

9. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i used to dual-log with Asheron's call but nothing like what i think you're doing here. in AC, you couldnt actually play both charcters at the same time. i'd have to alt-tab to a 2nd instance of AC running and use that high level mage to buff my lowbie, then alt-tab back and go kill stuff with my lowbie.

10. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i'm guessing that while all of your characters are on, if you hit attack with one char, all of them attack? all of them drink, all of them recover mana, etc?

11. Mike99TA

Sort of...

Everything is done via macros. The basics are the keyclone software, which whenever I press a key on the keyboard, that key gets pressed for every single WoW window.

The slightly more complex part is the macros. I use a focus system so all 4 of my shamans /focus on my tank. I can then cast on my tank's target using macros such as:

/cast [target=focustarget] Lightning Bolt

So, I target something with my main character, and hit my keybind for lightning bolt, and all 4 shamans cast lightning bolt on the tank's target. Thats the basics, but of course it gets far more complex as I have all sorts of various macros/methods and utilize things like castsequences, castrandoms, focustargettargets, etc.

12. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

that's nuts. sounds like fun, though.

i'm a noob so i'll stick with leveling normally until that gets boring. :)

i dont suppose there's a way to multibox with one account and two different characters from that account?

13. Mike99TA

Unfortunately not, theres no way to log into the same account twice at the same time :) It is a lot of fun - part of the reason I started doing it is because solo play got rather boring/non-challenging, 5 boxing is a lot of fun and despite what bitter people on the WoW forums claim, much much more difficult than playing a single character.

14. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

Blizzard has said its legal but isnt using the macros in that way totally against the EULA?

Just as an example, alot of people multibox in Anarchy Online because you can play with no subscription (if you want), but Funcom have stated no macros are allowed in this scenario.

15. Vom

Vom OT Supporter

Why would the macros be illegal?

16. Mike99TA

Theres no reason macros would be illegal. Macros are a tool Blizzard themselves produced to allow people to use for anything. If Blizzard doesn't want a macro to work for a specific purpose they can simply remove that capability from their macroing system. Same goes for Addons - if they want to stop an addon from doing something they just remove the capability for addons to be able to call those functions.

But as a more direct answer, no, its not against the TOS as multiple Blizzard posters and GMs have confirmed that Multiboxing is legal (Keyclone, Macros, 5 accounts in the same name logged in at the same time, etc) :)

17. LOtown

LOtown Active Member

I three boxed for awhile when I was doing a RAF toon...I ran Octopus though instead of Keyclone because Octopus was free...

18. Mike99TA

Yeah when I first started I was considering using HotKeyNet or AutoHotKey since they were free, but two things changed my mind.

1) I didn't want to deal with the (admittedly small) headache of manually setting up different key passes, etc

2) I met Rob (the guy that made keyclone) and he was a great guy and since he sponsors the dual-boxing.com site which is an awesome community I wanted to support it a bit.

19. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

if macros were legal, you could potentially have 11ty "people" farming loot, animals, etc, while they're at work and you're a real human trying to play.

too many bots = no loot for joo. try telling a bot "hey i need just one more of those yeti for a hide, can i have this one please?"

20. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

although, in AC, they did have bots that were helpful. people made bots that just stood in trade places and they'd recognize certain words you'd tell them.

you could open a trade window with them, buy and sell things from them, even pay them for buffs.

some guilds had buff bots wandering the halls of their mansions (you could buy mansions and houses in AC) and you could get free buffs from them.

that was pretty sweet.

21. Mike99TA

I think you're confused as to what a macro is. We're not talking about third party macro systems. We're talking about the built-in, world of warcraft macro system.

If you bring up the game menu theres a "macros" button, you can create a new icon and attach some code to it such as:

/cast [target=focustarget] Lightning Bolt

You can then drag that icon to your action bar, and when you click that button it will execute the macro code.

Blizzard has programmed this system themselves, it only allows you to do what they want you to be able to do with it. You cannot make it automate movement of your characters or do anything without you pushing a button for each action taken.

22. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

ah right right, i was thnking of other macros. i dont know what they're called, they mimic key presses with "waits" and stuf flike that. they can even position the mouse for you.

23. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

Macro's and Bots are two completely separate things. Bots are illegal, Macros are implemented by Blizzard themselves.

24. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

yea

back in the day, in other games i'm used to, the bots were run by macros. that's where i keep getting confused.

it was a seperate program that you'd run that did exactly what blizzards macros do but it also had the ability to put in coordinates for your mouse, recognize text coming up on the chat screen, etc.