Any other SeaMonkey users out there?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Mar 12, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm test-driving the new Mozilla browser called SeaMonkey -- as far as I can tell, it's just an open-source version of Netscape, forked off from before AOL bought Netscape. (Frankly, I'm not sure why they bothered doing this, since SeaMonkey looks and feels and works just like Mozilla does, but what the hell, why not.)

At this point, I'm trying to figure out how to install .XPI plugins, and I'm not having any luck. Does anybody else know how to do this, or is SeaMonkey still too young to support plugins?

2. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I installed it but only to use Composer since that isnt included with Firefox. Cant say that I ever actually went online with it.

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

SeaMonkey is the Mozilla suite, now.
    Extensions? It does support extensions, and iirc under at least trivial circumstances Firefox extensions will install and work in SM, but it does depend on the complexity of the extension.

If you mean actual plugins, like the Flash player plugin, I'd think it does support them (since that's a Gecko thing). But I've only ever installed plugins directly into, like, ~/.mozilla/plugins. Not with XPInstall.

4. deusexaethera

I have to admit I do wonder why Mozilla is even bothering to release SeaMonkey, considering how incredibly popular Firefox and Thunderbird are nowadays (at least among non-Microsoft products), but I'm giving it a try anyway just to be fair.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because Netscape started as just a browser, then became a "suite". Firefox became the "lightweight" browser, without the suite. Seamonkey provides that suite.

Overall, if you want a good browser, forget Mozilla entirely and just use Opera. Much better.

6. deusexaethera

You and your Opera fetish, I swear. :rofl:

You can keep your standards, and I'll keep my compatibility. I had so much trouble with incompatible website content when I used Opera; it may be that Opera is the only true standards-compliant browser out there, but you know, if everybody agrees to do something different than the written standard, then it's still a de-facto standard, and I for one am a fan of shit just getting done and being usable.

(...except when it comes to code written for projects I work on. Then the design had better damn well be followed. :squint:)

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Using "Identify As" I now have Opera working in 100% of the sites I visit :) Even the ones that originally didn't work at all.

8. deusexaethera

Wait...so Opera gets hung up on websites just because those websites don't know what kind of browser they're talking to?

Ain't that some shit. I knew there was a reason I didn't like server-side code.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Opera doesn't get hung up... The fucking website uses javascript to determine the browser then sends fucked up code or says that it "cant support it" even tho it can.