A&P Any other animators or cg artists......

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by lostfilez, Apr 13, 2004.

1. lostfilez

lostfilez Guest

.... here on OT?? :wavey: If so, it'd be cool to see more of that kind of work around here... and if not, oh well. Anyway, here's a new character I've been working on the last few days. Thought I'd post here since most the people are usually pretty damn honest. Lemme know what ya think :x:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2004
  2. ¤

¤ New Member

looks :cool:

3. Se7enthCIN

Se7enthCIN :wackit:

dope... I'm pretty much working on my 2D animation skills and have them pretty down. I'm learning maya but no where near actual character modeling at the moment. what program are you using?

4. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

5. Se7enthCIN

:rofl: :rofl: mantis sex :eek3:

6. lostfilez

lostfilez Guest

Ahhh, almost forgot I even had this post up..... anyway, model was done in wings-3d and shaded model rendered in 3dsmax 6, but I'm pretty much moving towards Maya now.

7. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

funny lookin guy :) i like it
    i'll be taking 3d modeling soon, my concentration is more 2d and advertising.

What schools do you guys attend?
    i go to East Tenn http://avl.etsu.edu

8. nice :)

I've been working with programs like maya, truespace, 3dmax, etc since I was like, 9 and I'm currently in college for animation :) very nice work

9. Se7enthCIN

I'm currently attending The Art Center Design College for my BA in animation with a minor in graphic design. I've been learning maya on my own (before I actually take 3d modeling). I figure it's a good thing to start early you know. :wiggle:

10. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

Mmm I am just a beginner...trying to learn some stuff from SimplyMaya.com and CGtalk.com...

Later this year I am shipping off to Orlando to attend FullSail for computer animation.

I would post some of my experaments, but they are kinda crappy since I just started :(

11. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

I like your character btw 8)

12. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

Working with 3DStudio Max 5 myself. Going to school for GraphComm in Moorhead, MN.

Don't have much of anything great to show right now...uploaded these two quick...

[​IMG]
    I'll admit, hijacked the idea from Pixar. :) I'd bet many of you are familiar with the first animation that pixar did with the two lamps. When I saw that when I was young I had a new fasination with 3D (and that dang lamp sitting on my desk)...
    Plans are to re-work it a bit (namely lighting and storyline) and put together something more this summer. But first I desperately need to learn lighting in 3DSM better or get ahold of a rendering program.

[​IMG]
    Chess board (duh). Group project for advanced 3D animation - going with a "battle chess" animation. It'll either be really cool, or really crappy.

..but I'm still learning, and hope to get some of these ideas into the computer this summer.

13. Se7enthCIN

Nice. I've been mainly focusing on organic shapes. Modeling a human head in nurbs is kinda rough :o I think I'll worry about rendering much later. But I think your lighting is pretty decent I think the bulb is a little too spotlightish for that area though... I think it would fan out a bit more. The chess pieces look dope :coold:

14. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

YA on the lamp picture...I dont know if you are looking for criticism...but the light needs to be diffused and displaced(not too much since the lamp IS closer to the surface)...

they look sweet though...

15. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

well thanks.

Yeah, that lamp project I did was kind of "meh". It looks better with the little bit of lighting changes I did, but the whole grayed out feel wasn't what I was looking for. I'll try to dig up one of the better final rendering scenes from that and upload it somewhere for y'all to check out. But yes, if I get time I'm going to re-do that all (I have a pile of video ideas in my head for that lamp alone..Only ended up with about 5 mintues of it done though)

The chess pieces...well they're going to be the end of me. Doing that project in a group (skewl suks), and I've spent the last 2 hours "fixing" other pieces, things just aren't working (I could climb up on a real high soap box and go at it right now, but I'll save it for later ;) ). It's now 2:30am my time...and I figure I'll just go all night. I mean sleep's not important is it? (class at 11:00am)

16. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

[​IMG]

yay! that's the latest. Still waiting for the King and Queen pieces to be sent to me...clock will get faces, hands, and glass tonight.

:bigthumb:

17. Se7enthCIN

looks really good... to add just a hint more of realism you could stagger the chess pieces within their squares so they're not so much in the center. otherwise the textures are pretty damn cool :coold:

18. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

w00t. that project turned out mediocre at best. We could have spent another 3 months working on that...but didn't (and didn't have the time).

Effort throughout the class was really bad, I was really dissapointed. Some things that people were modeling were amazing, but when animated they were...yeah....meh.

Oh well....Hopefully this summer I'll get some time to go back over my projects and re-vamp them a bit (move around pieces like you mentioned), and get something to throw in a portfolio.

*thumbsup*

(although working a 64 hour 5 day week isn't going to help here)