Any opinions on this barebone system?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3x, Jul 31, 2009.

1. 3x

3x New Member

I was piecing together a build on newegg, but then realized if I ordered from tigerdirect, I wouldn't be charged tax since they're out of CA.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4948134&sku=B69-0114

So this caught my eye- it included the same case I was going to buy, a step up from the 945 I picked out on newegg, and a different video card.

It comes with DDR2 vs. the DDR3 I had picked out, a similar spec'd 750W PSU with an upward facing fan (better for that case since the PSU mounts at the bottom) and those are the only real differences I think.

What do you guys think about the price? Anything better for the price? How is that video card?

2. 3x

3x New Member

3. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Looks fine. A nice 790 board with a BE Phenom II, whats not to like? its not too expensive, and the 4890 is a nice card that can hit 950mhz on the core clock.

Seems to be a good mid to high range build, i don't know anything about that power supply, though.

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

I didn't look at the parts, but unless the price difference is substantial, I would still go with Newegg. Call it brand loyalty or whatever you want, but in my experience, Newegg is a better company. In the off chance that something goes wrong, tehy will refund your money and do what it takes to make it right. TG will tell you to take it up wiht the manufacturer.

I've never not gotten a newegg rebate and I've maybe gotten 1/4 TG rebates. A friend of mine ordered two cheap (really cheap) 17'' monitors from TG. Not only was her rebate denyed, but TG wouldnt accept it back even though there was a line running across one of the displays. TG as a company kind of stinks. I try to avoid them unless I'm buying a brand name product and there's no good alternative.

They also screen their reviews i *think*, or at least i got the feeling they used to.

5. 3x

3x New Member

My biggest issue is if I have to RMA something, but the system looks fine to me. I save on sales tax and 200 off parts pretty much, so I think I'm going to go for it- the last time I pieced this build together on Newegg it went above my limit of 1000.

Oh, and thanks guys! :h5: