MMA Any opinions on a Gracie Barra BJJ academy?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ZZex, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ZZex

ZZex New Member

HEAD INSTRUCTOR BLACK BELT
    EDDIE REDZOVIC

RECEIVED HIS BLACK BELT FROM CARLOS GRACIE JR.
    http://www.chicagojiujitsu.com/Home2.htm

lHe seems like a cool guy. Brand new into any Martial Arts, but BJJ just looks so exciting and I'm willing to learn it. Does anyone have any opinions on the head instructor or even the Chicago academy (on lincoln ave)? I'll have to call him first thing in the morning. I've seen this guy too http://www.chicagomartialartsclasses.com/index.html
    but I don't know how well they compare (Degerberg). I'm just interested in BJJ for now. Any word of advice would help :hs:

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Show up to both schools. It's an investment.

3. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Gracie Baja :mamoru: is a good name in the BJJ world. They will both probably let you try a class for free so go check them both out. See which fits you best. Most importantly, stop asking around to your friends, family, and OT, and just do it.

4. kroneX

kroneX New Member

i train at a gracie barra school, just go along and roll

5. takumi6

takumi6 New Member

dude, don't ask just go... only way to really know is physically doing it..

6. aethyr

aethyr OT Supporter

Shop around. See how the instructor rolls with his students. He should be confident enough to let his upper belts get dominant positions on him and "play" with them. Roll with the other students, the white belts and upper belts. Especially look at the white belts. Do they just try to muscle and destroy you, or are they more technical? Is it a friendly atmosphere? Not necessarily a sign of anything, but are there at least some girls that train at the school? Girls tend to be more technical since they lack the physical strength/size so a school with a lot of girls means the school might be more technical, which IMO is a good sign.

7. Rob H

Rob H New Member

any updates on your decision?

8. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

So if the white belts do muscle to destroy you, is that a bad thing?

I still haven't decided if I'm going to enroll at the GB school here.

9. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I called twice. I got the answering machine twice. I left a message regarding the pricing and when I can schedule an appointment. Hopefully I can get in on this Friday's grappling class :x:

I'm gonna get so raped by big blue belt guys. I'm a fairly small fella. 6"0, 170lb :hs:

10. aethyr

aethyr OT Supporter

An upper white belt should be transitioning to technique. Roll with smaller, 3 stripe white belts. They should be technical. But roll with large 3 strip white as well. If the big whites are technical, you know you're at a good school. If those upper whites go easy on you and are teaching you stuff, you're at a good school.

11. Rob H

Rob H New Member

what Gracie Barra do you train at?

12. aethyr

aethyr OT Supporter

GB San Diego/Encinitas.

13. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I was basically a grappling dummy for the 3 stripe white belts there. The only person who showed me any technique over 3 classes was a guy that just got promoted to purple on one of the nights I was there.

The classes were typically warmups/show a new choke and drill it some/grapple. And all those guys were highly competitive.

14. aethyr

aethyr OT Supporter

Whats up bro :)

15. aethyr

aethyr OT Supporter

You WILL get your ass kicked, but there's a friendly, supportive way to kick ass and a not so friendly way to do it. It all depends on what you're comfortable with. Thats why you try out different schools and find the atmosphere that suits you the best.

16. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I didn't get a negative vibe there whatsoever. Everyone there was pretty cool, but the focus was competition and getting ready for it.

At my age and at this point in life, I'm not going to be a competitor. I know what it takes to do so, and simply won't devote that much time to it.

I went last night to a Carlos Machado affiliated school and had a blast. I'm probably going to sign up with them this week. It was more of a "let's get together, roll, and have fun" environment rather than "there's a tourny in 4 weeks to get ready for".

10 years ago, I'd have been all over the GB school and trying to compete. Now I just want to stay in shape and learn the art.

17. aethyr

aethyr OT Supporter

I hear ya. Some GB are more competition oriented than others. My current GB school competes, but puts no pressure whatsoever - doesn't have special classes/training for competition. Most of the guys don't compete.

Anyways, Machados are excellent schools. You can't go wrong there.

18. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Update: It's been 2 days since I left a message on their answering machine. I'm excited as shit to begin. I'd like to go to an intro class first (I requested this Friday) but either way, I'll probably join. I hope it's fairly cheap. Everytime I close my eyes, I picture going from close guard to side mount. Gotta score me some points!

Btw, for those in Gracie Baja :)mamoru:), how much is it for you guys a month?

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

20. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

The school here is 90 a month.

21. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Update again: Some rep (might of been the sensei, he never gave a name) told me the info. http://www.chicagojiujitsu.com/Schedule.html
    I'd have to go to 30 of those Self Defense Fundamental classes before I can do the Grappling classes. The description is at the bottom. He said even blue belts still attend those Self Defense / Fundamentals :hsd: They are an hour long each. I'm going to a free trial one tomorrow @ 1-2pm. Here's the killer that might make me skip it this year: The monthly fee is $150. :wtf: I'm not training directly under Renzo or Royler. I know other's around Chicago are cheaper (~100), but they are pretty far. The location of this place is fairly good. Assuming I'm unemployed for the rest of my life (I'm currently a full time student + part time intern), I can attend 3-4 classes a week. Fuck this is gonna be a tough choice. :hs:

(And btw, 5-10 years to obtain a blue belt. Seriously? I knew getting to a Black belt in BJJ was long, but damn...)

22. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i pay $150 a month for my Gracie Barra for unlimited access. 5-10 years to obtain a blue belt seems like a long time. I also didn't have to attend any self defense classes, just jumped right into class.

23. aethyr

aethyr OT Supporter

I pay $135 for twice a week. Its expensive, but its the going rate around here to learn from an accomplished BJJ instructor.

5-10 years for a blue belt is just wrong...unless you're an extremely slow learner. GB has a relatively new formula of awarding a blue belt in about 1 year of consistent training of twice a week. IMO, that's starting to water things down. You should get a belt when you're worthy of it, whether it takes a year or 10.

24. ZZex

ZZex New Member

It's nice to hear from someone who's actually in Baja :mamoru: But yeah, I gotta take these classes. I asked him if I can just jump into grappling. He said no cause he doesn't want us being creative and thinking we know what we are doing when we don't. yadda yadda yadda. I'm okay with it, but I'm concerned about progression. I'm no BJ Penn but I hope this will be smooth. My goal is just blue for now. Then brown :mamoru: But anyhow, I'm going tomorrow.

25. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I'll be really happy if I can do blue in 1 year. I plan on going 3 hours (or 3 times) a week for as long as I'm alive. New goal: Black belt then hope one day, spectate ADCC and understand wtf is going on.