A&P Any of you wedding guys work with an event planning business?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Met with a chick tonight who wants me to be a 'preferred vendor' in concert with her event planning company... Says she books 5-6 weddings per month, and is currently down to 1 reliable photographer...

Details:

her clients photography budget average $1500 to 1750.
    3-4 destination weddings per year
    charity/gala events + grand opening events as well as weddings

So we spoke for a half our or so, then we met with a single client that she was looking for a photographer for, I signed that contract ($1250), then afterwards, she asked me if I wanted more business - hence the preferred vendor thingy...

So i'm looking for experience here.. any of you guys have this sort of relationship? Any drawbacks? Anything to watch out for? Rules of the relationship?

I'm kind of excited...

2. mojito

mojito New Member

I don't have a coordinator, but I end up working with the same vendors, alot. So we have eachothers backs.

There is a caterer thats buying his own property and wants some preferred vendors, so we might do that, but haven't really worked with coordinators much.

Not much of a drawback as long as you keep her and the clients happy. If not, you're screwed. I'm curious to see what happens when your prices increase, and why other photogs are dropping her or vice versa

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Awesome, congrats. :bowdown:

I'm not at a point where I can book 'em like that... I need to give my job up before I do that. But in the meantime, I'm buying what I want to build my arsenal.

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I coordinate my own gigs. Girlfriend is PR + Arts Administration.

I think in any relationship, the best thing to do is just watch your back and keep everything legit, transparent, on the books and most of all on paper. Period. PR/Event coordinators are often sharks who only care about themselves. There is probably a reason she is down to one reliable photographer.

5. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

I would warn that you want to see what her "fees" are. I've read some of these "preferred vendors" things are more like contracts and they want a 10% cut of the contract etc. Just make sure you're not getting into something you're not thrilled with just so you can get off the ground.

Good luck though.

6. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I thought you sold all your camera gear off?

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Nope. People are flakes so I pulled the ad.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Its a good idea & just make sure the percentages work out.

Try to develop a circle of relevant ppl whose work/ethics you trust & you can recommend.
    first on my list is a backup/alternate photog, then mua and wedding planner.

fwiw your rep is paramount, its a small world out there.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

just pointing this out for the record - you, sir, are a wealth of great information. I owe you a beer if you're ever in Philly.

:h5:

10. johan

johan Active Member

:cool:

glad to be of service :h5:

11. alexromo

alexromo New Member

just dont make her your ex gf and get yourself blacklisted man

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

don't worry slimeball - she has man hands... *shudder* and besides.... I'm married.

Question for you guys - Wedding Album markup - How much?

I used my Film Noir blurb book as a presentation piece, and they loved it. The want quotes on the 10x8 landscape and 13x11 landscape books.

The books will cost me $50 and $85 respectively - I was considering going $180/240...

Thoughts? Too much? Too little? The only other books i've done so far have been the print out 4x6's and plug em into a binder album looking thing....

13. mojito

mojito New Member

a good album will probably cost 300. Then take how long it takes to make it.

Mine start at 1000 for 20 spreads, 50 per additional spread. That way if there's a screw up or you need to come down in price to make it work, you'll still be in the black

14. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, thats where im heading. Who do you use, Zook? KISS?

However, with this business, like everything else, when you're getting your foot in the door, you start at the bottom...

The couple i'm shooting for the first job for this wedding planner is on the lower end of her budget scale... They asked me about my film noir series at our meeting (the planner had them stop by the show to check me out...), and so I showed them the Blurb book. They really liked it.

So, I figured for the first couple, I could go lower end like Blurb, until I get the clients that will pay that much for the book.

The Blurb 10x8 landscape book with the imagewrap, premium paper and custom logo is $45. The 13x11 of the same book is 79.

Hence my 180/240 price point...

I'm up for suggestions, but considering I had to scale back my services and give em some freebies to get the $1250 contract, I don't wanna explode their minds with a $1k book.

Just out of curiousity - are all of your clients in the budget to be able to afford a $1k book? Do you have any simpler, cheaper choices for those who obviously wouldn't be interested an album at that price?

15. johan

johan Active Member

I don't do the low end books like Blurb etc. b/c I don't like the presentation.

If I don't like the presentation, I don't offer it.
    Of course, that doesn't stop them from making their own, but that's out of my hands.

I like Kiss, sorta like Renaissance. I've used Black River a bit too, as a mid-priced offering.
    Not totally satisfied with either, Forbeyon is next.

Markup is 100%.
    Medium end book cost ~$600 for a 12x12 cameo 40-45 sider, sell for $1200-1500.
    High end books are about 2x that.

If they want it, they'll find a way to pay for it. If they really can't afford...well then..not my problem.
    I typically don't deal with budget brides. Usually bridezillas anyways, trying to squeeze every last dollar.

It takes so much time to design a book properly that if it's not in the $1K space, I can't do it. The cost/opportunity is on the wrong side.

If their entire wedding is $1250, that's in shoot/burn territory.
    Its hard to do a quality book when your wholesale cost will be about 40% of your billable.

Last comment, why don't you do a nice premium leather KISS book for this wedding planner at cost, as a professional favor. Get her 9 of the mini-KISS books as well.

Make sure you show it on the bill as N/C.

For me personally, professional favors have come back to me 10X over in new referrals/business. Greasing the wheels works wonders.

My 2c.

16. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

signed my 2nd wedding from this company tonight, as well as their prefered vendor contract...

fees are... wait for it... 1%... :mamoru:

17. mojito

mojito New Member

johan pretty much summed it up already.

I use a bunch of vendors, graphi, kiss, ASA, picto for legit shit, asuka and vision art for guest album/budget brides.

to me the album is the best print referal you can get. it shows your vision, creativity as well as your individual shots. having a crappy version doesn't speak much to your image

the 2nd to last couple I booked this year, the bride runs a scrapping booking store. I figured I was fucked, but she knew she wanted both the album and DVD to make her own version. :cool:

I don't know of a single bride that actually made anything from a shoot and burn package