COMIC Any of you seasoned ComiCon vets want to write up an edu?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Crunks, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

I'm most likely going to the Emerald City Comicon in Seattle in two weeks... my first con. Wondering what proper etiquette is regarding autographs, sketches, pictures and what not.

What to bring, blah blah blah. I probably won't have that much cash on me, since I'm a poor college student :wtc:

Guest list for anyone curious

http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/guests.php

Bendis - dropped out :wtc:, JMS, Robert Kirkman, Clayburn Moore, Mike Choi, Tim Sale, Ed Brubaker, Clayton Crain, Skottie Young

I plan on having Bendis sign a few Avengers comics, Kirkman signing Walking Dead.... and getting sketches of Emma from Mike Choi and Deadpool from Skottie Young :x:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  2. void

void oh yeah?

bring your own comics, bring your own bags/boards, bring a portfolio case to haul your sketches, bring a backpack or something to haul your shit (water!) in.

oh, and bring a priority mail envelope addressed to me and an extra $100 for a skottie young deadpool commission

3. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

If you think of more questions, post'em here. The following is just a few general tips.

Take pictures of everything and post on OT. Wear walking shoes. If there's something you're dying to have, don't wait to buy it. Chances are someone else wants it too and will buy it before you.

Here's a few tips I've posted in another thread.
    1. I'd say think of an amount you want to spend, and then realize you'll probably go over it unless you really stick to your budget.
    2. Artists will usually do sketches for a set price. The bigger names might set a cap on how many they'll do each day, so if there's someone you really want art from, go to them first.
    3. If you'd like to get a signature from your favorite creators, go for it. In general, I don't think signatures really raise the worth of the thing being signed, unless the creator is known for rarely signing things.
    4. Creators are humans just like everyone else. Try to be courteous when talking to them. A standard "Hi, I'm [name], I'm a big fan of your work. Could I get you to sign some of my comics" will suffice.

4. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Yea, being friendly to people generally goes a long way. I was chatting up Peter Mayhew, he was interested in my name, and was cool as fuck with me but ignored the obnoxious bitches who were like "OMG CHEWIE I LOVE YOU ROAR FOR ME"

5. void

void oh yeah?

bendis is missing the big cons? what...is he still writing secret invasion #2? :mamoru:

6. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

Here's all you need to know: pay 40 bucks to get in and have the privelege of spending more money. You also get to listen to some boring talks with people who write comics or moake movies that you would have read about in the issue of Wizard you already have.

But maybe I'm not the one to ask: I thought NYCC sucked dick the last two years.

7. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

:coold:

about whats the average price for commission sketches?

and sucks about bendis. shit, the con is only two hours north of where he lives

8. void

void oh yeah?

depends. at the smaller cons in DFW, the local guys charge 10-50 bucks for a decent sketch/commission. getting into the mainstream artists is going to cost some coin though. Marko Djurdjevic was at wizard world texas and was charging $300 for a detailed 11x14 commission. j scott campbell was there charging $40 for head sketches (that you could sell on eBay for $100 likely). campbell's list for the day filled up in about 10 minutes, so find out where your favorite artists are going to be in artist alley and sign yourself up before he fills up....then head your ass to the ATM.

edit: that $300 marko commission was not simple little sketch either...really incredibly detailed stuff. if i wasn't jobless at the time, then i would have been folding c-notes into paper airplanes and getting a kickass deadpool done. :hs:

9. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Or you could find Chris Giarusso and get a quick $10 sketch done, like mine or Dr. Doom's av. He got a crayon head shot I believe, while I got a full body B/W sketch. I wish I had more money, I would have bought a lot more original art work. Chris Moreno has this incredible Joker picture drawn up, but it was $100 and I was broke.

10. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

10-50 isn't as bad as i thought :o

I'll get a Chris G sketch done for sure, I love his work. Wish there was more of it in books today.

11. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

curious, do i need to bring my own sketchbook or will they draw it on a separate piece of paper?

12. void

void oh yeah?

most artists have bristol boards they draw on, 9x12 or 10x14s. a lot of fans have their own sketchbooks, like a spiral or a hardcover book that they have artists sketch in, an artist will usually draw in it no problem and price you accordingly. if you bring something larger like a 11x17 and want something a little more detailed, then it'll most likely cost you more, if the artist even does it.

most of the stuff i've posted is 9x12.

13. 0wn3d_productivity

Got any pix handy? That was the one thing I didn't get to do was cruise and get some original art/ caricatures. I just didn't feel comfortable taking stuff like that on the train.

14. void

void oh yeah?

check out any of my comic-con threads, almost everything posted is 9x12.

just get a portfolio from dickblick.com or something...a 9x12 would fit fine in a messanger bag or backpack, so don't sweat the train. but take SOMETHING to haul your sketches/prints in. i hate it when i see folks walking around with art prints just flapping in the wind.

15. 0wn3d_productivity

Cool, I'll look for them later.