Any of you .NET guys use CSLA?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Dec 4, 2007.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

2. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

We use a customized version of it at work. Unfortunately I'm not a developer and can't give you any insight into it. Overall, our developers like it but find some of its objects a little cumbersome.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I hate business object frameworks.

4. SLED

explain

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I find that almost all java frameworks add more overhead than they save you time.

I just use plain old javabeans for my model objects. That just means I set and get in certain ways. No big deal. Persist objects with iBatis. Convert them to XML with Simple-xml. Offer web services via RESTlet. These tools fit together very will without a business object abstraction. It doesn't get any simpler than this combo, and it works very, very well. Developing using business object frameworks like J2EE is torturous, slow, and will greatly expand your scope and cause a project to fail.

If I was doing general web development in Java, and believe me I WOULDN'T BE because it is so much less efficient than in a dynamic language, I'd use the lightest weight MVC/templating system I could find. I've looked, and I haven't found one, even the 'lightweight ones' that aren't like shutting your balls in a safe compared to the dynamic frameworks.

So, I say roll your own application framework using very lightweight tools, otherwise Java pattern junkies will drown you in patterns.

Disclaimer: I don't know shit about that one in particular :)

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I am drinking, and just made a post about Java in a .NET thread.

But uhh... you know what I mean.

7. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I'm currently using ActiveRecord, which is actually a nicer wrapper over the top of NHibernate. This means you don't have to write any XML (Java guys just loooove their XML). You just mark up your data classes with attributes.

http://www.castleproject.org/activerecord/

I use it with generics for my strongly typed collections.

It also has some methods that allow you to drop/create the database and generate scripts. We just have a page that drops and generates the database from the model code using ActiveRecord.

I also have it integrate with NHibernate.Search, so that we can index and search our data using Lucene (the search engine used in Wikipedia and a billion other sites) automatically, using the same idea of marking up fields and classes we want to index using attributes. I had to make a lot of changes to NHibernate.Search to get this working 100% and I haven't gotten these committed back to the tree but if you go down this path I can probably help.

For me, I can see myself using ActiveRecord from this point on for all my models and data access layer.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I refuse to write ANY xml by hand.

Okay, almost.

9. SLED

I started looking into AR for a .NET project some time ago, but it wasn't quite mature yet. I've used it a lot on the Ruby side of the fence with my "open source" projects and I really enjoy it. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into it. I have a mid-sized project coming up in the next month or so, and definitely want to get away from my current architecture. Thanks

10. SLED

Yea i'm not too familiar with the java stuff, so i can't really compare it to the CSLA stuff i'm talking about. I'm definitely not a fan of bloated object models or object model frameworks. Or even further than that, creating too many 3rd party depenancies, but i've heard good things about this framework so far, so I might check it out.