WEB Any of you interested in Drupal?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kingtoad, Oct 18, 2007.

1. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Are any of you Drupal developers or interested in becoming Drupal users? Would you appreciate EDUs regarding it?

EDU's would include:
    1. Custom theming.
    2. Creating custom modules.
    3. Utilizing their light database abstraction layer.
    4. Using their Forms API.

:dunno:

2. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

ive been trying to leave wordpress for drupal, but i always found their CMS really confusing.

3. Nakon

Nakon Guest

I use drupal as the backend for my organization's website. it's really good and I could use some help with the forms API

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I would have said, word for word, exactly this a couple weeks ago. Just try it out. I guarantee you will end up switching to it once you get the hang of it. It is amazingly more customizable than WordPress and easier. Check out www.iqdrop.com that is just a junk site I'm working on now. But the design is 100% my own and you can rearrange menus to be anywhere. I can put that left menu into any style DIV anywhere on the page, easily edit "The Goods" to say "Navigation" or not say anything, only display certain menus to certain users, create polls, pages, stories. So far so good.

Historically I have stayed away from CMS and just coded my own stuff, but I started using WP and was frustrated with how little control over it you have, or how much complicated work needs to be done to customize it. So far I haven't wanted to do anything that Drupal hasn't let me do fairly easily.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  5. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I'm trying to leave Joomla for Drupal for my shop's website.. been playing in the background but i'd DEFINITELY be up for decent tutorials etc.

6. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i created a tf2 map downloading resource with wordpress. with a few plugins and some tweaks, it didnt come out half bad. thats why its hard for me to leave wordpress, the amount of plugins is unbelievable.

www.tf2maps.net

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I know, I had a hard time leaving as well. I just installed a test version of Drupal and played with it for a while and ended up loving it. I previously installed Drupal and ended up deleting it because I didn't like or give it a chance really.

Nice site BTW. I had tf2central.com registered and a nice website setup years ago and then I let it expire :(. It could have been huge now. Oh well I guess. I'll get tf3central prepared :p.

8. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

yea thats what sucks about gambling on domain names. you purchase them early then let them go before they might get popular :rofl:

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I guess I'll start working some shit up. :bowdown: Which areas would you like to see first?

Theming probably be most desirable first, no?

10. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

yea, that would be cool. maybe i can switch my sites over to drupal if i see i can theme drupal easier than wordpress.

11. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

btw, just to see how powerful drupal is, the onion is run on drupal.

www.theonion.com

12. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Theming is really easy. It is literally as easy as making your template and inserting their variables in places you want them. If you want the article title in the <title> tag you just put it there. Done. It can get more complicated, but that is all you need to get started, that is why I love it so much more than WP.

13. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Let us know when you get some info up. I'm definitely interested in all this stuff.

14. Insert Tokens

I'd be very interested in some decent theming tutorials.

Also how to make basic plugins.. there's a few very basic things i'd like to add to my drupal-playaround-site but I don't want to hack up stuff to make it work, i'd rather make my own plugins to do the tasks required so it all fits nicely.

15. i would def appreciate an edu for drupal themes

16. also what types of custom modules can you code up for drupal?

17. Insert Tokens

Can anyone help me get breadcrumbs to work properly in Drupal? I don't understand all this taxonomy crap.

I've got the views module installed, have a custom view as list of items in a database, but when you click on each item I want the breadcrumb to read:

Home >> List >> Item Title

And the main list to read:

Home >> List

Problem is, both ONLY have the "Home" link in the breadcrumbs.

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

There are two ways to accomplish this. You can do it in CSS by having the breadcrumb element display: inline; and placing another breadcrumb element next to it with the page title, like so:

Code:
    #breadcrumb {
      display: inline;
    }

Code:
    <?php print $breadcrumb; ?><div id="breadcrumb"><?php print $title; ?></div>

Or, you can do a theme override, which I prefer because it keeps your code cleaner and you have more control of the situation. Like so:

Code:
    function themename_breadcrumb($breadcrumb) {
      if (!empty($breadcrumb)) {
      	[b]$breadcrumb[] = drupal_get_title();[/b]
        	return '<div class="breadcrumb">'. implode(' » ', $breadcrumb) . '</div>';
      }
    }

Note that drupal_get_title() is a function built intro drupal that will pull the title of the current page.

19. Insert Tokens

Kingtoad, cheers for that.. that fixes half my problem..

How would I make sub-pages of other pages in the breadcrumbs?

Eg:

http://www.lamsinfo.com/bikes
    Now shows the title in the breadcrumb correctly.

http://www.lamsinfo.com/aprilia/rs125
    I'd like this to have "Home > Bikes > Aprilia RS125" as the breadcrumb.. with the word bikes linking to the main /bikes page.

Is this possible at all?

20. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Sure is.

Make sure the menu module is enabled. Once it is enabled you need to create a parent navigation item. Let's call this parent item "Bikes". Once this navigation item is created, you want to create another item... say "Aprilla RS125". Once that page is created, you specify under the navigation block that you want the Parent item to be "Bikes".

That will give you the breadcrumb:
    Bikes > Aprilla RS125

If you want to display "home", in front of it, then you'll have to create another parent item called "Home", and make the "Bikes" parent item reference "Home". Once that is completed, your breadcrumb will look like you want it to:

Home > Bikes > Aprilla RS125

Hope that helped.

21. Insert Tokens

Awesome! Thank you -heaps- ..

Lastly (and I know i'm asking lots, but I appreciate it heaps).. when you now enter the bike list, it auto-expands on the right navigation to show any/all bikes listed under it.. I understand why, because we created the child menus of the parent "Bike List".. but the list will be huge when I finish it.. is there a way to make that menu not expand at all in the right navigation, without disabling the menu items and therefore ruining the breadcrumbs? I'd just edit the nav to not show the child menus but that would stuff up the administration sub-menus etc too.. :hs:

Actually, that still might work.. since clicking on Administration still loads all the admin stuff in the main content block.. so if the above isn't possible, how would I edit the navigation so no menus expand?

22. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I have a question for you. I have this blog thing sort of at www.iqdrop.com and I must have entered "iqdrop.com" during setup or something because Drupal always links to iqdrop.com instead of adding a www. in front. Even if you came to the site using www.

How can I change Drupal to link with the www.? I cannot find an option for this anywhere.

And can you make a tutorial concerning categories? I totally don't understand what categories and vocab have to do with each other or how to use this or if I should even be using it.

ps. can't wait for your EDUs/site man :).

23. Nakon

Nakon Guest

look in the .htaccess file, it should be there

edit: it's in this part:
    Code:
      # If your site can be accessed both with and without the prefix www.
      # you can use one of the following settings to force user to use only one option:
      #
      # If you want the site to be accessed WITH the www. only, adapt and uncomment the following:
      # RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.example\.com$ [NC]
      # RewriteRule .* http://www.example.com/ [L,R=301]
      #
      # If you want the site to be accessed only WITHOUT the www. , adapt and uncomment the following:
      # RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^example\.com$ [NC]
      # RewriteRule .* http://example.com/ [L,R=301]

24. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Hmm, actually that doesn't seem to be my problem. I figured out what is happening. Whenever I edit a post or submit a story or page it takes off the www. So submitting forms for some reason removes the www. I don't know why though. But I should be able to make it go back to www. by messing with this stuff? I guess I'll try playing with it maybe.

EDIT: Hmm, that was easy. Thanks :). I wonder why the forms send it to domain.com instead of www. though? Strange.

25. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

If you don't like the bikes being in the navigation, you can create another menu and toss them in there. Although, you may have to "fake" a portion of your bread crumb if you do this, by manually adding the "home" link to the beginning of your breadcrumb, via display: inline; style.

There are two ways to edit the navigation menu. An easy way, and a more complex way. The easy way is to view the source and look at the class/id each navigational item is pointing to, then write CSS to override that option. The second way is to do a theme override, which is preferred. Note, that ALL functions in the Drupal API that start with theme_ can be overridden. Just write your new function and place it in a file called "template.php".

http://api.drupal.org/api/search/5/theme_

If you just want to change the ORDER of each navigational item for more organization, play with the Weight dropdown menu.