WEB Any of you guys use a mac? How do you like it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thomor25, Mar 23, 2008.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I was thinking of building a hackintosh just to fuck around with. An oter posted this article form lifehacker http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800-321913.php and it made me curious so those of you who have macs how do you like them. I've just been so used to pc's my whole life it just seems weird to even try a mac. The most involvement I've had with a mac was fixing them and upgrading them when I worked for the government and alot of the scientists used them.

2. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I've had two macs and work with one semi-daily but I prefer Pcs only due to hardware right now. I too am panning on building a hackintosh. The hardware will be chosen to run correctly with OSX. The only issues I've heard are on-board audio driver problems but that will very with the mobo.

I give it a :bigthumb:

3. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

OS X is a solid OS.

I like having a built in terminal like any linux distro would have and not some bullshit like PuTTY, lol. The software development arena for OS X blows windows based stuff out of the water. It's nice to know that you can pretty much configure things how you wish, like any unix system.

Apple laptops are probably the best manufactured laptops on the market and even though you can't configure hardware "as much" as a pc build, iMacs are hotness and deliver plenty of horsepower. I picked up a 2.8Ghz iMac last week and I'm really happy with it. 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, 8x superdrive and a 24" widescreen for this price is a good deal in my eyes. It's quiet as all fuck and faster than me in bed.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  4. thomor25

yeah, you ever sell that one you had in yardsale zilla?

5. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

I have a macbook pro as well and it's a fucking champ.

I recommend them to anybody.

One thing that kind makes me giggle is that OS X can pretty much do many of the things that a regular windows install would require 3rd party apps for. New switchers commonly ask questions like, "what program is like such and such in windows?" and many times it's something that can be done with a default install of the OS.

If you do decide to switch, feel free to hit me up about stuff whenever. I can definitely help. I had a nice thread in the mac shack dedicated to sharing automator workflows but it was deleted in a prune for some reason.

6. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Yeah, fo sho.

I've had several apple products come through me lately. If you're looking for something specific I can probably hook it up. Just let me know.

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I was interested in getting a MacBook Pro... i think it's the only apple product i'd buy, but i've had bad experiences with an iBook G4 way back when. Also lookin at an eeePC :coold:

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I use a G5 and a Macbook. I prefer working on them over my Windows machines. I love OSX. It's very solid and probably one of the better OS's I've used.

9. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

i use a macbook pro for all my design work at home.

i use windows machines at work.

i <3 my macbook pro

10. pkr

pkr Guest

On one right now, and will be my next computer.

11. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

im thinking of buying a mac pro next :noes:

12. thomor25

wow didn't know there were that many mac users here, how hard was it to switch? Do you guys run any windows emulation at all?

13. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

I run zero windows emulation. I have zero need for windows.

Switching is surprisingly easy.

Voice your concerns and let's see if we can address them.

14. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

easy to switch.

i dont need windows. i have photoshop, illustrator and dreamweaver all on here.

The best thing about the macbook pro is the size. I can easily take it to meetings / into the boardroom when required.

I can hook it up to the projection in a matter of seconds etc...

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

OS X would probably be the easiest OS to switch to. No windows emulation as I do not require it. :dunno:

16. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

i doubt you need the capabilities of a macpro :rofl:

17. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

i use OSX exclusively for all my design and development. having a freebsd under the hood is very handy for development. i can pop into my web and db servers, then right back into development.

no need for any emulation, if you need to you can run bootcamp or vmware, but all the software i use is osx native:

cs3 and textmate

out of the box it supports rails, mysql (with a quick install), php, and a whole slew of other necessities

18. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

Macs are ok, but I can't stand OSX... I mean, it's fast, fluid, but there are just some things I can't deal with like the lack of a full taskbar, and I can't live without my Windows apps.

19. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

:rofl: i know.

20. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

always used PC's growing up until i got my job and the advertising department (my dept) is the only one in the building using macs so i was forced to learn and was reluctant at first. 9 years later, I don't think I'll ever buy a PC again. I just bought a MacBook Pro at home, love it. I do have Parallels running on it only because I had some cash in some poker sites that were still windows only and now I use the windows side to access the VPN at work but that's doesn't happen very often.

I recommend the MacBook and MacBook Pro to anyone buying a new laptop. I would recommend the Mac Pro for desktop, but they are kinda pricey for what my friends/family would ever need.

21. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I have a macbook pro, as well as I have built an hackintosh. The only issue with the hackintosh is that you have to be careful about installing updates.. So if you pay attention to when you get the update message you are good to go. Just check out insanelymac.com for all your info and it works great. I have no problems with mine at all.

I use it for my normal work which is primarily all linux/unix based applications. And all my other development outside of work. I use parallels if I need to run a windows program, though most of the time I just transfer the file over to my windows machine and run it that way.

22. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i bought a macbook a few months back. didnt like it. couldnt find software i needed for ftp, torrents, etc. there was software, but it was commercial. i struggled to find open source apps. maybe it was just me.

the gui is nice, but thats about it.

23. gobbles

gobbles .

I do everything on a powerbook G4. It's over 4 years old but still runs like a beast. I'm thinking about putting together a hackintosh this summer :)

24. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

:roflwtf:

25. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

tell me you're kidding? there are tons of free software for ftp, torrents and pretty much anything you can get for free for a PC.