SRS Any of you guys have heart palpitations?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Minh Lam, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

Not the fast hearbeat aka tachycardia but the strong thump out of nowhere,
    I hate it. Started in back in 2000. DOctors as usual say its benign.
    Its random and it does worry me. Hard to concentrate when the heart goes thump. More so at night. Everytime I wear a 24 hour heart halter monitor it never occures so i dont know what kind of beat it is. Trying to book in for a 1 month ultra sound portable machine to record it. After that I want to do a EPS which they send micro tubes from different points of your body into your heart and see where the electrical disturbance is and try to repair it by freezing off damage electrical pathways.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You need to stop going to regular doctors and see a cardiologist immediatly. Its like this, if people don't take your problem seriously leave them and see someone who DOES take your problem seriously.

You know you feel the best on what's going on in your body, if you feel something is wrong, then its possible something is wrong, and if its not its much better to get yourself checked for reassurance by a cardiologist. Basically what im saying is don't take no for an answer, and im guessing and hoping you will not.

I know a lot of people who died simply because their doctors or surroundings haven't taken them seriously. Well anyway take those devices for and several tests. Several medicines,body related issues or even food can trigger a difference in heart rate. Make a list of the medicines you use and consult your cardiologist, also tell them when the heart irregularities occur.

Strangly for me i get heart problems when i eat too much peppermint, something in it can alter your heart rate. Which can cause the occasional stab in your heart, and the feeling that your heart stops, its not nice at all.

3. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

Thanks Dark Eternal. I been trying to find a pattern or what causes it and I cannot. I have done all the standard tests like, ECG ,blood tests etc.

I want a EPS done. Im sick of having these strong thuds especially when im lying theer trying to relax. Stupid heart. Kinda makes me depressed.
    Your right Im not gonna settle for no , just takes time booking for cardiologist. I got an earliest booking which is 31st of october.

sigh.

4. 2500

2500 Guest

the reason people don't take your problem seriously, is because its not a serious problem. heart palps are a result of caffeine, adrenaline, lack of sleep, etc. they are harmless, and thats why you can't get docs to take you seriously. trust me, i've been dealing with anxiety, panic, and hypochondria for many years, and i can tell you first hand heart palps are very scary, but very harmless. if infact they are heart palps. if its something else, i would get it looked at, but if the Dr says its that, then getting all these expensive heart monitoring devices will do you no good, because there is no treatment for heart palps. so, after spending thousands of dollars, they are gonna say "yep, we were right." and they will send you on your way.

look at what your doing before your going to relax. do you drink coffee? drink alot of coke? do alot of coke? lol. look at your lifestyle, and i bet you can make changes in it to minimize the amounts of these that you get. with my anxiety, if i have a cup of coffee, bam, heart palps up the wazoo.

5. Megab

Megab OT's CPhT

i get heart palpitations constantly.
    and im always drinking pepsi.
    :noes:
    i get them more at night though when im laying on my back. what triggers it when you lay on your back? i almost cant at all and have to sleep on my side.:dunno:

6. 2500

2500 Guest

i'm not sure what triggers them according to laying positions. but, i kinda notice them more when i'm laying on my back also.

7. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I have had a murmer and palpitations all my life. It usually freaks out a doc first till the look at my file and see its just natural for how I work. My heart is healthy, if not healthier than most people though.

Really I never think of it at all. It only gets really bad during anxiety attacks, but I have medication to take during those instances :dunno:

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Either anxiety or a heart issue. A cardiologist can rule out the more serious of the two. Dark Eternal is correct.

9. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

I dont drink, I dont smoke, I dont drink soft drinks. I train hard. I eat well.
    Im not anxious nor depressed when it occurs.
    Yes It does seem to happen more towards the evening? Not necessarily lying in bed , just more towards night time. Could the body be drained of something by night?

I know its harmless but its so hard because it feels like someone is punching your chest when the thud comes! hard not to notice it. I hate it and personally I do think its affecting my qaulity of life.

Definately a heart issue and Im not going to take no or live with it for an answer. IF there is something that can be done through Ablation or electrophysio study aka EPS Im going to ask for it.

Just wanted to know who else suffers from this strong thud!

10. big 1

big 1 New Member

I suffer from severe episodes of tachycardia as a result of my diagnosed heart condition ive had since birth.
    My advice: eat well, work out, and dont neglect your health- see a doctor

11. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

Caffeine? Do you have tachycardia? As in fast heart beats? . I dont have that.
    As I mentioned. Just a strong thump! and then the heart beats normal again,. Sometimes it does it 2,3 times in a row. usually just once.

I have a right bundle branch block. This iwll be my 3rd visit to the cardiologist. Lets see what he can recommend.

12. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

i've had that and the rapid heartbeat as well. i wore a heart monitor for a month and they still don't know what the problem is. i hope everything goes well for you

13. Lech

Lech Rhymes with fetch.

I have the same heart problem. I also had serious depression and anxiety disorder. Interestingly, my psychiatrist told me there are studies that link depression/anxiety disorder with heart palpitations. Since I have started taking an anti depressant, not only has my depression/anxiety lessened substantially, but my heart palpitations are virtually non-existant.

My heart used to "skip beats" at least 20 times a day, but I have hardly noticed since I started the antidepressants. Do you suffer from anxiety attacks too? You might want to consult with a psychiatrist, after you see a cardiologist of course. I still see my cardiologist annually.

14. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

Thanks for the input keanu but yeah as meantioned I dont suffer from anxiety attacks. I could be calm as and then BOOM! haha its like someone punched my chest.
    I will see what the cardiologist say This is a different to before. Second opinion is always good. More than likely its benign but if he knows how to stop that forceful beat/thump then im all for it

15. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

So what exactly do heart palpitations feel like?

I've got a problem where my heart, or rather the entire center to left side of my chest, just feels like it's been stabbed with a fork and a piece is ripped out. That's honestly the best way I can describe it. It comes and goes and seems to last from a few minutes to a few hours.

Does this sound like heart palpitations, or different? :dunno: :hs:

16. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I have consulted with a psychiatrist because of anxiety problems. He put me on some benzos for the anxiety to be taken when needed. I have nothing against anti-depressants/SSRI's but I have been on SSRI's before and lost my sex drive, which isnt good when I am young and married :)

Currently my benzo perscription keeps my anxiety under wraps which in-turn lowers the frequency of my palpitations.

17. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

That doesnt sound like a palpitations. A palpitation feels kinda like someon slamming the door closed on your heart valves...just a really hard "thump THUMP" beat

18. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Oh. :hs:

19. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

yeah, i get them as well. the cardiologist will tell you nothing is wrong.. that should help you feel better :)

20. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

I have mitral valve prolapse, where my heart feels like it skips a beat, but it's actually an extra beat. Not anything major so long as I keep caffiene/chocolate/coffee/other stimulants to a dull roar and also take certain antibiotics before dental work or surgery.

Do go to a cardiologist asap though and find out exactly what your problem is. Even if it is something minor better to nip it in the bud now and take care of yourself now....anyone with heart problems at a young age has a greater chance and getting congestive heart failure later on.

21. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

I have a benign murmer, and I also get the weird palpitations occassionally. They heart feels like it beats harder, and it also skipps beats. I had the same deal when i saw a cardiologist, and wore a holter and ...nuthin'. Had EKGS and other tests, and they just said it seemed like my heart was healthy, and the weird beating now and then was harmless.

One thing I did notice was that it happened MOST often, and most noticeable when I'd had a larger than normal intake of caffiene. I generally try to avoid caffeinated stuff, but now and then, I indulge, and that sometimes made my heart issues more noticeable. I think they were at their worst when I was taking an energy suppliment that had.......green tea....and something else...guarana or something, so I stopped take them, and don't take anything like that anymore.

It seems to help me to avoid caffiene.

22. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

What's weird is that it seems to just be the caffiene, because I take an ADHD medication which is a combonation of amphetamine salts, and they don't bug me....