any new or old products worth trying out?? v.I need your advice scott :)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, Jul 11, 2006.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I'm getting ready to detail my car next week, big car event coming up and I want my car shiny and swirl free. My pads are getting pretty beat and so i'm going to be placing an order at exceldetail and figured if there's a product out worth trying then why waste shipping on pads, might as well add some stuff to the cart :mamoru:

Here's the process i've been taking to the car for the last year

-wash
    -clay it like every other detail (never really have to though since the car is washed weekly and garaged)
    -optimum polish applied w/ PC
    -clearkote vanilla moose applied w/ PC
    -poorboy EX-P applied w/ PC
    -s100 applied by hand

Usually the car is swirl free or left with very light marks. sometimes when in direct sunlight the car will look a little hazy. paint always feel super smooth though. I'm pretty much out of s100 wax so I also will need a new wax.

Does anyone have suggestions for which new pads to get (colors) and also any new polishes to try out. Also need a nice wax. Thanks!

heres a shot of the car from the other day
    [​IMG]

2. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

I like Optimum alot. If you're lookin for something different, I'd try the Menzerna IP and FPII. It looks really nice on black.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

With the hazing on teh paint, you might want to consider working the polish, especially the optimum, down a little more, so that you dont get any micro maring. Maybe even consider stepping down the agressiveness scale with your pad.

Also, on most modern clearcoated black cars, the clearcoat in direct sunlight kind of obscures the color layer. Making it look somewhat brownish in color. Perhaps this is what your talking about?

Your process seems good. I wouldent think you would need to clay that much though. But if you insist. Otherwise the rest of the process seems good, and i cant find any fault with it.

4. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

hmm maybe it is the clearcoat then. i noticed it right after the last detail that it did have a brownish tint to the paint in certain light conditions.

yea i've been happy with the polishes.

any suggestions on a nice wax for black cars? as i mentioned before im pretty much out of s100.

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Poorboys Natty's Blue. Looks awesome over EX-P.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I like Clearkote's Carnauba Moose on black, noticably darkens and deepens the paint.

7. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I see that the poorboy Natty's Blue is a paste wax. Right now with s100 i remove the entire block of wax from the container and rub it on a MF pad to apply to the car. how would you apply the paste, do i do the same or just swear some on a PC pad and apply with the PC.

same with the Clearkote's Carnauba Moose, would i just squirt it on a pad and use the PC at slow speeds to apply?

Also i see clearkote says their wax wont leave the white residue, is poorboys the same? That is one thing i hate about s100, if i dont use a brush after waxing then my car is lined with white residue in door james and any cracks on the car.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

S100 is a paste wax too. So nattys would be the same. If your useing a hand aplicator, you should HAVE to take it out of the container...but whatever floats your boat, for what your comfortable with.

I dont believe Nattys Blue leaves a residue, but i havent used it, so i cant say for sure.

Carnuba Moose can be used either way. You can put it on a hand applicator, or you can put some on a finishing pad and use your PC. I dont recall that carnuba moose is as picky as EX-P is with thin application.