any networking experts? dsl modem / router issues!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sandstorm, Jun 15, 2007.

1. sandstorm

sandstorm ottc::lakers::chargers OT Supporter

hi

I have been using my current setup for the past year without any issues. I am using a Westell 2200 ADSL modem w/ bridged-mode enabled (basically disabling PPPOE because i need not put in login info).

That modem is connected to an old netgear MR814 router ... and all my PCs are connected to that router.

Everything has been working fine ... past couple months, I've been noticing that I've had to reboot the modem/router more and more when my network dies. I went out and bought a brand new Netgear Rangemax router to replace my old netgear router. I made sure all the settings were the same (the config UI between the routers are virtually identical).

I plugged it in, but it seemed like the router was not getting an IP address from the modem. So, I gave up after much setting changes on the router and plugged my old router back in just so I can get online again.

Now the old router doesn't get an IP address from the modem!

I plug in my work laptop directly to the modem and I am able to get connected to the internet right away without playing with any settings. I check the IP address and it's an external IP address like it's supposed to serve. By external, I mean the WAN IP address because it's setup to bridge-mode.

Now, when I plug in my desktop computer directly, just like I had done with the laptop, I get a "limited or no connection" error after it tries to obtain an IP address.

I thought maybe the westell 2200 modem had somehow gone bad during the process and connected a brand new speedstream 4100 that I had ... changed the settings on it to bridge-mode, but no luck. I get the same symptoms as the westell is giving me so it can't be the modems ...

any help would be much appreciated!! thanks!

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Verizon? Its probably the BS way that they bind the modem to a mac address and won't unbind properly even if you reboot the modem. You'll need to run ipconfig /release (or the router's GUI equivalent) from a PC or router that the modem will talk to properly. Once you do that, you sould be able to hook up your new router and get an IP address from them.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I know our cable modems track how many IP's it has handed out and stops handing them out after it has reached its limit. You clear those settings by power cycling the modem for at least 30 seconds to wipe those IPs.

4. sandstorm

sandstorm ottc::lakers::chargers OT Supporter

I've kept that modem off all night .. no worky :(