any .net developers? a few questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I'm currently a PHP developer and looking to learn .net for building software, not web apps...I've toyed around with VB6, but it's been a longgg while...before I begin I just have a few Q's

-seems like WPF is the new way to go for developing software front ends...are there any drawbacks to using it? or 100% FTW?
    -is vb.net these days as powerful as c# or does one still hold power over the other?
    -what's the most common database used when developing .net apps? with PHP it's all MySQL, so just curious if there's an equivalent.
    -is MySQL well supported with .net? anything I should be weary before deciding to use it? limitations?
    -is there a good resource for finding .net code around? seems ot be a LOT harder to find resources then PHP ever was? I am guessing cause it's not open source.
    -any books y'all can recommend? I just need to know the structure of doing things with .net...I have about 4 years exp with php, so I got it locked down :coolugh:

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

I'll do my best...
    WPF is very exciting IMO, I haven't noticed many companies headed in the direction of WPF, many are sticking with winForms, but with that said I've also been out of work for almost a year now, so i'm not sure if there is a trend of change here or not.

It's now a matter of preference / comfort since dotNet code is converted at run time into code native to the OS.

This will depend entirely on scale, the most common you'll deal with will be MS SQL - imo.

I used MySQL once with a dotNet project, very easy and very familiar to all data connection , it is a 3rd party adapter IIRC.

I'm not devoted to anyone source, it's google for me and various links from there.

sorry can't think of any off the top of my head other than the HeadFirst books I'm fond of.

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

Frequency, thank you!

4. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Just to toss my couple cents in:

With .net, MS recognized the power of the free database engine like MySQL and wanted to curb that real quick. MS SQL Express is a nice in between solution (in between Access and full blown MS SQL Server). Its not meant to be supporting the back room with it, but you can embed it with your apps.

6. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Thank you, i forgot about that, also very handy to work with

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

damn man, haven't seen you in awhile :bowdown: