GUN Any negatives about getting Jesus night sights?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Radicus, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Getting an XDm 3.8 next weekish with night sights... Shit is $100 more. I can't think of any reason why this would be a bad move... but, are there any downsides to having night sights?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

super wide front sight (typical of night sights) much more difficult to shoot accurately in daylight as opposed to a thinner target sight.

Night sights when used in conjuction with a decent flashlight blooms something aweful. Really best in low light no light without a secondary light source.

I prefer a .100 wide fiber optic front sight. Works well with a flashlight too.

3. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

What happens when you use a flashlight with night sights?

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The tritium vial blooms. It makes it hard to see the target. Some are better than others. The trijicons and big dots are the worst. The dawsons are the best and the heinie are inbetween.

A small fiber optic front such as the dawsons work really well with a flashlight. It glows like a red dot but does not bloom so much it obscures the target.

5. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Is this only when you shine the light directly on the sights or near them?

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

when you use flashlight holds such as harris, and surefire/rogers. It's not as much of an issue when you use a FBI hold.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

We have regular night matches here and a good percentage of the competitiors are cops who use their duty gear. While it is not impossible to shoot with flashlight + weaponlight it is a disadvantage. The regulars who place top 10 are using fiber optic + flashlight. I usually win these matches, I've pretty much dominated over the last 4 years.

8. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

oic. Got some thinking to do.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah I'm not saying night sights are bad. You just have to understand their advantages and disadvantages. On my Glock 26 I have night sights because I do not carry a flashlight with that gun. It is also not my home defense pistol.

When I carry my G19 I always carry a flashlight.

For home defense I have a full size glock with weapon light and fiber optic front sight.

My 870 has ghost ring night sights but it does not bloom. I guess the flashlight is in a position where it is OK. My benelli has a fiber optic front with a weaponlight. That is my prefered home defense gun.

10. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

So what if I had night sights with a rail mounted light... That wouldn't be so bad would it?

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It still blooms but not as bad. I run a insight m6 weaponlight with a dawson fiber optic front.

Look at it this way. The thin fiber optic front is going to be more accurate during the day or when you have normal lighting. It is also going to be better with weaponlights and flashlight.

The night sights are going to be best when there is no secondy light. The super wide front sight will make it more difficult to shoot when you do have daylight. Blooming is a issue with flashlights.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

http://madtrigger.com/videos/Night shoot/player_0.html

Here is a demo video I did a while back. Run and gun with the insight M6. This was after the match and I had a guy chase me with a flashlight pointed at my back otherwise it would be impossible to flim. I make the laser look good, but honestly I don't need the laser.

13. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

k, will watch after I watch the office.

14. spagina

spagina Active Member

Just use Iron sights and a 1MM powered spotlight. It will immediately freeze the game where they stand, and after the shot, you can light your cigarette with the beam...

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

A bad guy might see the glow of the sights in the dark, revealing your position.