MIL Any Navy SEAL or IS in here?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by J, Sep 11, 2007.

1. J

J Active Member

I qualify for both ratings, but really can't decide between the two. Can anyone here fill me in on any information that Google fails to provide (experiences, etc.)?

I'm also involved in a very serious relationship with a girl working to be an EA.. hence my hesitation in becoming a SEAL :hs:

My original plan was to be a DC and ultimately a firefighter after my enlistment.

So.. any advice?

2. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

you are way ahead of yourself man... go through buds, that will decide whether or not you want to be a seal...

3. s3rca

s3rca New Member

DC is a pretty good raiting but i wouldnt necessarily qualify you to be a firefighter when you get out . everyone on board ( in my experience ) needs to get their DCPQS done , meaning everyone on board , regardless of rating is capable of activly fighting a shipboard fire , its usually left to the engineering department while deck maintains DC plots or runs the sound powered phones in a casualty . Im an ET and im pretty sure im just as qualified as a DC shoudl i decide to try and be a civilian firefighter , sure i wont know how to weld as well as a DC but the required knowledge of setting up fire boundaries and reflash watches and the rest is all there .

4. Tryfaen

Tryfaen New Member

when i was in a few years back I went through A-school with people going to buds/swcc. this is what I know about it:

basicly boot camp. you may or may not get a "seal division" everyone is all going to seal/swcc . everyone here continually jerk eachother off about how they are gonna be seals and run more laps around the track during boot camp or something.

Then you go to your A-school. theres like 3 A-schools you can pick from.
    You go there first then go to buds when you graduate. when you fail out of buds you are already qualified in the other rate and you return for any specialized training then ship out to the fleet as not a seal. and can't try again for like 2 years or something.

my group in A-School had 8 guys going to buds and 1 to swcc all failed out of buds except 1 and the swcc guy passed his school too.

All of these guys were in excelent physical condition and basicly PT'd all day long every day while in A-School and when they came back after failing buds their muscles were noticably more defined/bigger after the 2 months or whatever when they came back. So be prepared for some very serious PT

If you aren't squared away physically and especially mentally you wont make it as a seal.

I would say if you plan on having any kind of relationship to not go seal.
    that was the reason why one of them came back from buds, it had been his dream to be a seal but with a family(wife and kid on the way) he came to the conclusion that it would be better to be able to be there for them instead of away training for another 2 years followed by 4 years of missions that he couldn't tell his wife/kid where/what he was doing.

I'd say go be a fireman then get out and be a fireman in your town and raise a family.

5. J

J Active Member

I guess that's exactly what I needed to hear as far as becoming a SEAL goes, because I feel the same way. Thanks

6. J

J Active Member

As far as I know, no one is certified as a civilian firefighter until they've done some large number of hours worked in the field. But since firefighting is already included in basic training, I opted for another rating, like IS. I heard I could always go to C school for advanced firefighting.

7. J

J Active Member

I kind of want to at least for the hell of it.. to see if I have what it takes. But I don't want to waste my time if it's not something I'm going to ultimately end up doing :o

8. Accord

Accord New Member

Our Corpsman in my platoon is leaving us in a couple weeks to go to BUDS. He's fucking hardcore.

9. Zebrai

Zebrai New Member

IS isn't bad. The advancement is great! However that is all that can really be said... if you want more physical work go SEAL if you are more of an 'analyst' go IS.

10. Dutchies

Dutchies OT's resident abortion professor

Good luck in BUDS shit is hardcore. There were like 15 dudes in my A school that were going back for their 2nd and 3rd times. You could always go SWCC or EOD, which isn't as hard, but shit you'll still be PT'ing like a motherfucker and have to be in perfect physical condition.

11. Durkastan

Durkastan New Member

fixed?

12. nayt1

nayt1 New Member

you're going to make a serious decision about something you want that will affect the rest of your life and you're going to base it on a female? :ugh: you already fail.

13. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

I always heard becoming a SEAL is far more mental than physical. If you don't have what it takes physically you won't last a day.

14. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Hmm.

15. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

?

16. J

J Active Member

i also plan to propose to this female and start a family. i guess that's almost as big a decision as becoming a navy seal. almost.

17. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Like nayt1 said, you already failed at this, by basing the decision on a female.

18. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Lolz