MIL Any Navy people?? v. GFs little brother wants to join

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EBK, Apr 28, 2008.

1. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

They want me to play assistant recruiter for him :hs:

Tell me about the Navy's Mobile Riverine Squadrons and careers including: gunner on a Seahawk (aviation warfare systems operator?) and immediate iraq/afghanistan tours

Fuck

2. EBK

:rofl:

My girl warned me with no sex if i made fun of him

But all jokesaside if he wants to at least be a gunner, thats cool with me

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

He would be interested in the "brown" Navy as it is called. Somewhat of a new community, I don't personally know any one from it. Looking at mostly coastal patrols, going inland on various waterways.

Is he athletically up to standards? He might want to look into SWCC..

4. EBK

SWCC are the dudes who ferry SEALs around right?? Yeah hes fit, just a little short though

how many leave days do you get after completing naval Boot Camp?

5. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Usually none. You don't get leave until after A school.

Boot Camp
    A School
    possible leave period
    Secondary School (such as a Power School for Nukes) or new Command

6. EBK

A School is how long -- average ??

7. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

depends on the rate. can be anywhere from little over a week to months. Some programs arn't really considered "A" School, but you'll spend a year or more in training before going out to the fleet.

And you generally get 14 days of leave prior to CONUS orders and 30 days prior to overseas.

What he really needs to do is take the ASVAB, and see what he's eligible for.

8. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

:werd: What would be available to him is based solely off the ASVAB and any possible waivers he might need. For example, he might have the ASVAB to be a Nuke, but if he needs certain types of Waivers, then he can forget it.

My A-School was 90 days or roughly 12 weeks. My Husbands A-School was 6 months, his "secondary" school, or Power School, as it was known, was another 6 months. His THIRD school, known as Prototype, was also 6 months (give or take days or weeks with Holidays and stuff piled in there). He was in school from August of '03 until January of '05. He did NOT get a break until Christmas of '03, and that was because the school closed down for the Holidays.

9. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

so the towel droppers got a woman huh? i am not buyin it...:booty:

10. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i was at school from feb 03 until christmas time before i got to take leave. did have a few 3 days weekends though. currently there is no Rating specific to riverine squadrons, they pull from ratings that are up for orders. I met alot of them in oct last year, about 30 MA's.....but i know they take GM's, ET's, OS's and some other ratings also

11. EBK

Hahah hellyeah son, a nice girl :wackit: Except for her when I drop the towel, it doesn't fall down if u get me

GM -- how long is school for that?? He has his AA, what would his rank be if he Enlists??

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

It depends on the # of credits you have, you can get bumped up a rank. You can also get bumped up one referring people, and completing this little book while in DEP (basically learn basic military knowledge, pass a chiefs board, pass a PRT). Can do that up to E3. I don't think they can make you an E4 out of boot camp (don't remember hearing anyone get it), but you can be made E4 out of A school.

13. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

NO ONE gets E4 without taking a rate-specific test, with certain exceptions, so the highest rank you can be out of boot is E3, period. Nuke's automatically make E4 after they complete A-school before moving on to Power School. I think there's one or two other rates that do that as well, but I forget which ones.

MA's are also being sent to Iraq, as are Corpmen, so watch the rate he chooses if he doesn't want to go play in the Sandbox.

14. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

You can be made an E4 without taking a rate test if you enlisted under a certain rate. IT for example you can be an E3 out of bootcamp, and they can make you an E4 when you graduate.

Almost every rate can be sent to Iraq fyi.

15. EBK

What's MA??

16. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Master-At-Arms, Navy's version of an MP.

widds - It's VERY rare. And usually to make E4, you have to take the written test. And if you read what I wrote, I said there's a few rates. But you're not going to be promoted to E4 out of A-School if you're an MA, Corpmen, Airmen, etc. You have to take the test.

And yeah, any rate can be sent to Iraq, but it's what's most common that I posted. Unless he really pisses someone off, my Nuclear ET Spouse isn't going to play in the actual sandbox (he's just sitting off their coast instead :o ).

17. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Well first off, the promotions to E4 out of A-school are meritorious, most can advance like 10% of a graduating class if they display exceptional motivation and ability. This goes for most rates. Just because you didn't see it while you were in MA A-school doesn't mean it wont happen.

Second, most IA billets are general billets, they need bodies, so while it is highly unlikely a nuke would go to the desert to do security watches after all that training, it's not something that could never happen. And IT is probably one of the more common rates sent over there as well. We have 3 people just in our shop of 16 that are out there, we had 2 on my last ship.. who do you think runs all the comms & networks :)

18. EBK

I'm printing this thread out so he can see how cute and peaceful the Navy's arguments are

19. EBK

How long is schooling for MA, and do they qual with M9 and M4 or M16?

20. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

He doesn't want to be a MA, period. Just like MP you will be miserable for almost no perks. It isn't like it was in the 90s, most security has been replaced by civilians.

If he enjoys watching people piss during urinalysis by all means.

21. EBK

widds, tell me everything about being a GUNNER'S MATE, what his options are to Gun for (helicopter, small boat, Phalanx CIWS operator :bowdown: )

and the next time I'm in SD we're drinking Son -- i was there december touring on the USS Midway

22. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

There's different areas GM's can work in. Not sure how selection works, but if it is like FC the better you do in school the higher chance you have at picking what you want to "specialize" in. If you stick to small ships you are looking mostly at being a 5" gun tech. Those are the single guns on the front of destroyers and the front/back of cruisers. You can also do small arms related stuff (fyi if you want to work with weapons on a boat don't be a MA because other than checking a gun out from an AO or GM for duty you wont see them) like manning the armory, running the gun shoots (rangemaster and safety, etc).

FC's are the ones that work on CIWS. FC's get basically all of the missile based systems plus CIWS. edit: this is for operational part of it, MT's which are now GM's have the NECs for actual maintenance of most of the systems, although FC's do it as well.

As for helo's not really sure who would man the guns in those. The navy doesn't really use their helo's for offensive use and mostly are transport. Small boats, like I said you'd be looking at the "brown" navy that is somewhat new and I don't know much about it. I see billets for it as an IT, and I know they have it for GMs as well. Mostly in the southeast US between texas on up to virginia on the coast.

23. EBK

So are we drinking or not

24. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

i deploy soon and wont be back until christmas time so :(

25. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

if it hasnt changed GM 'A' school is about 4 months long and no guaranteed 'C' school, but alot of them do get one, either VLS or 5" for the most part