Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TRN, Jul 12, 2006.
How do you remember all of the commands and what not?
From using them all the time. I have to say that I need to keep a refence sheet around for some of the more obscure things.
such as this one:
99% of SQL is easy stuff you'll just remember. For the remaining 1%, a quick check on the documentation will satisfy your needs.
My applications are so simple SQL queries work fine for me. I've never read up on the built in functions... I probably should.
I'm taking a class on it. 11 hours a day
Hmm...I've been wanting to check out MySQL since I started taking a DB class this summer. We're using Oracle but I like the idea of a free RDBMS.
I just thought most of the SQL DBs were very similar??
For the user, the differences between MySQL and Oracle are negligible (I'm sure they're very different beasts under the hood, but most of us will never have to care about that very much). They name a few things differently, but for the most part SQL is SQL.
We used Oracle for the SQL part of my DB course as well. All the important stuff was completely transferrable to the bits of MySQL and SQLite stuff I've done since.
If you're just starting out playing with DBs, may I recommend SQLite instead. www.sqlite.org
I love MySQL, but its often much more than is called for.
"gurus" is plural. It does not need an apostrophe. If you're looking to learn a language, try learning English first.
No wonder jollyogre picks on you all the time.
He might hassle me for not sticking strictly to the topic at hand, but I seriously doubt he'd have a problem with expecting someone to know something as simple as when to use punctuation -- especially considering how important syntax is in the context of computer languages.
Either way I wouldn't care if he did object; there is no excuse for not knowing how to use the English language correctly, regardless of how many cheesy complaints somebody could throw at me about how it's a casual forum and how spelling/grammar/typing/mechanics don't matter here. We're technical people, are we not?
an extra apostrophe never made anything crash
No, but a wrong math symbol prevented stacked, multi floor doom levels. I believe it was a + instead of a *. It was noticed was the code went to GLP.
fu'ck the g'rammar nazi's
I sqlite. No fucking around with server bullshit for small applications, just throw the db in a file.
For a small blog, would sqlite be feasible? What about a not-so-small blog?
I'll look into it.
I've also got a week long class on Cold Fusion coming up as well.
select, update, delete, insert