MIL Any Linguists out there?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by c.a, Jan 29, 2006.

1. c.a

c.a New Member

I'm going into the Air Force in a couple of months and I'm gonna be a cryptologic lynguist. I was just wondering if theres anyone on here that went to DLI, that can tell me what its like. Theres nothing on the internet that talks about a day in the life of someone there..

The way my recruiter described it, it sounds like it will be a vacation. But I don't listen to what that guy has to say, I just let him fill out the paper work. From the little that I have gathered on the internet it seems like the exact oppisite, like I'll only be able to sleep, eat, go to class, study, and workout.

I guess I'd really like to talk to someone who has actually been there. Anyone?

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

You'll probably find some useful information here, but as you are figuring out, don't listen to your recruiter.

If you want tough, they'll make it sound hard. If, like most people, you want it easy, they'll make stirring shit sound like going to disneyworld.

3. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

I doubt it will be a vacation. I'm currently learning Korean which is a category 4 language. We have class for 6hrs/day and it sucks. I'm sure your days at DLI are probably longer. I'm only doing it for 6months where DLI is most likley a year or longer. We only need a 1/1 on the DLPT where Id imagine you would need a 2/2 or better. The language you will get will make a difference but the fact you have to get a certain proficiency level will make it pretty difficult.

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I was an Army linguist, but I work with lots of retired AF airborne linguists. Compared to Army basic, DLI was heaven. You will be in a stressful environment due to the amount of knowledge that you will be required to absorb. My platoon had 3 suicide attempts in a year, but I think those kids were defective to begin with. There are some great parties there, or at least there used to be. Overall it was a lot of fun, I surfed every day after class and got a 3/3 in Russian. It was the best place I was stationed in the Army, I would love to go back. Everyone that I have talked to about DLI feels the same way. Don't let the weight of studies get you down, make sure you get out and have fun every weekend, you gotta blow off steam.

5. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

Hey i got the same job....leave for basic march 14th

:cool:

6. whammy

whammy Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness OT Supporter

A guy I met at Lowes was a linguist as well. He said he enjoyed it but that living there was expensive.

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I think you have to be above a certain age before things like this just smack you in the face. :mamoru:

but back to the thread starter's question, I think the Air Force AFSC for the cunnilinguist program was cancelled due to funding issues. :dunno:

8. c.a

c.a New Member

Awesome, they still haven't told me when I'm leaving. They had originally said the 21st of march, but that was back when i was gonna go into EOD. They still haven't giving me my new date.. its starting to piss me off, I'd really like to get the hell out of here, or AT LEAST know when i get to.

9. aphoric

-Papa Chano's is the perfect hangover cure.
    -Don't play dracula or whatever role-playing game there is.
    -Careful at the Mucky Duck, you may be hitting on someone in your chain of command.
    -The hill behind the PX is covered with poison ivy, not a good place for secret sex.
    -Paint the navy anchor pink, they will blame the marines.

all I can think of for tips for now, have fun.

10. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

motherfuckin :werd: they asked me when i wanted to leave when i was at meps and i told them as soon as possible

i cannot WAIT to get out of here .....maybe i'll see you in monterey :wavey:

what were your top 3 choices for languages and what did you get on the dlab?

11. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

:rofl:

::takes notes:: :mamoru:

12. Cheschire

Cheschire New Member

I've been out of DLI for two years now, and right before I left, they restructured a lot of it. I heard something about NCO's being moved from Delta and Echo and mixing it all up so the NCO's (reclasses) are now in the same companies as the noobs (first timers) as squad leaders and the like.

They also instituted a curfew :hs:

Also back when I left, they had torn down all of the housing nearest HWY 1. I wonder how far along that housing project is these days...

13. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

check out

http://www.afforums.com

There are a bunch that have been in your years and some about to go, good site.

14. c.a

c.a New Member

I don't think it matters what i want since I heard they're only doing Chinese, Arabic, Persian, and Korean right now... or at least thats what i heard. And I got a 105 on the dlab.

15. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

thats what i heard too but i thought you had to have a certain score to get those languages since they are cat 4 :dunno:

i beat you by a point ;)

this girl i met going up to meps thats doing navy is only 17 and she got a freakin 126 :noes:

16. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

I got a fucking 85 on the dlab and I have Korean! Another guy in my class had an 69 and hes in Korean :eek4:

It probably didn't help on the test the fact i decided to change the pattern/trend i was noticing to answer the questions lol.

17. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:barf:

18. aphoric

... and then there's Goodfellow, with a single redeeming quality: 4 meals a day:wiggle:

19. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

:hs: ya not looking forward to that.....only the training you get there is pretty cool....

right? :wtc:

20. aphoric

It's probably not as cool as you are thinking, but if you like Goodfellow, you will love the job. Sitting rack can get pretty exciting if you are not just spinning and grinning...

21. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

i actually know nothing about the base or the training except that its "intelligence training" so im thinking like....cool cia kinda stuff

probably have my hopes a little high :o

22. aphoric

My recruiter told me I would be like James Bond... so you can guess what it's not going to be like. Can't say a whole lot about it, but most-likely the only action you are going to see is typing and tuning a radio... it's the times you have outside of work as you travel around (if you are airborne) the globe. Goodfellow is a different kind of hard than DLI, but you get used to not having windows and that feeling when you come out of a movie and the weather/daylight has changed. Have fun in Monterey, I still go there for vacations, the place just puts me totally at ease...