Any ladies here use IUDs?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by teep, May 5, 2008.

1. teep

teep New Member

I was just curious if any girls here had any experience with IUDs. My girlfriend has been using the ring for a while and I love it, but lately she's been thinking about getting an IUD. I know it's not going in ME, but I just like to know whatsup when it comes to her birth control because it affects me too.

I guess there's a type that doesn't use any hormones. She wants that because she says for that one week a month the ring is out she feels so much better. Do any of you really notice that big of a difference with hormones? Just an overall decrease of sex drive or a feeling of just blah when you're on them maybe? I've noticed some changes in our relationship. She's toned down a lot... not nearly as excited or hyper around me and we're not going at it 3 times a day. I just take that as another step in our relationship though. After all we do live together and still have an active sex life. She swears it's the hormones affecting her though.

2. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

decreased sex drive ftl. sometimes i hate bc

3. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

an IUD that doesnt have any hormones? i would be interested to hear more about that as well

as for her feeling better the week when she doesnt have her ring in, its the truth. i cant wait for the day when we are actually trying to have a baby and i can just stop being on the pill for a while and feel totally myself.

4. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

in for info

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

paraguard/copper iuds

6. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/iudinfo.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device
    http://www.mirena-us.com/howmirenaworks.html?WT.srch=1
    http://www.paragard.com/
    http://www.implanon-usa.com/consume...tsofimplanon/index.asp?C=97424395737571296296

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Mirena at the end of the month. I go in for my regular appointment and then will schedule my IUD placement for probably the following week because it's easier to insert and place an IUD while you have your period.

7. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

my wife has had mirena for a few years now and LOVES it. Other than the whole insertion thing which she says was a little painful, but a quick pain.

Rarely has periods. Not moody at all. Lower failure rate than a tubal ligation. Nothing to worry about for 5 years.

I dont think she has had a single complaint

8. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm doing it. I can't do any other method, but without BC aside from condoms, my periods are VERY heavy, last for 10 days and just drain me. If I'm not trying to have a baby, then there's no reason for me NOT to be on some form of BC, problem is, an IUD is my last option.

9. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

damn, websites blocked at work. i'll check those out at home.

i heard that mirena was best for women who have already had a child, does that hold true for all IUD's, or just that specific one?

10. Nilraf

Nilraf New Member

my ladyfriend has one, copper, I haven't noticed a decresed sex drive, but she was paranoid about the strings for the first week, and we took it easy just to make sure it healed up ok. It's really nice, but I still pull out, daddy when I want to be FTW.

11. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

You do realize that with an IUD, the chances of a pregnancy are MUCH more decreased than with a pill form, because there's already something implanted in the Uterus? It's a relatively fail-proof (there are exceptions, not everything is 100%) form of BC because there's no issue about taking it at the same time every day, remember to put it back in on the same day every month, etc.

If you are still concerned, I wouldn't be using the pull-out method. There is sperm in pre-cum. If you're still concerned about an unexpected pregnancy, even though your friend has an IUD, I'd use condoms as a back-up method. Or spermacide.

12. lauren

lauren Active Member

and for the record, your wife has never had kids, correct? ;)

13. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

correct :bigthumb:

14. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

play the lottery

15. cascade85

cascade85 New Member

I have had mirena in for about 2 years can't complain. Don't have periods just light spotting on rare occassions. Although I was under the impression you had to have at least one child before you could get the iud. I can't feel it and it was just a pinch going in with small amounts of pressure afterwards. I highly recomend it.

16. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I hear/have read so many complaints about it, I get weary. (But, then again, nearly everyone complains about Depo, and I was on it for almost 5 years and loved it..) I teeter back and forth about actually getting it. I hear the whole painful/heavy periods crap as a side effect, weight gain, etc. A part of me wonders if it's just that people always have negative things to say, and never positive. By that, I mean, people are more apt to complain ratehr than compliment.. When I was researching tonsillectomies, every message board or website I cam across described it as pain worse than child birth and whatnot, so I went into mine expecting the worst. Ironically, other than being uncomfortable and bored, I wasn't in pain..

I actually just found out I'm eligible for some Family Planning/Women's Health program through the state since I'm a poor, poor, full time student, and it covers ALL BC except sterilization.. wahoo!