SRS any knee surgery recoverists?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by toezter, Jul 26, 2006.

1. toezter

toezter New Member

*apologies if this isn't in the proper forum*

13th of july i got into a motorcycle accident, my knee too most of the damage. from the MRI, ACL and PCL are banged up, and the LCL looks to be completely broken.

surgery will be august 1st.

so far i can bear weight on it, bend it, ect. just wondering if thats ok so far. doctors said its ok to bend it, but it seems to be going too easy.

anyone out there had reconstruction to the ligaments here? how has your recovery been?

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

I had a banged up ACL and MCL along with a torn meniscus from skiing a few years back.

From what I remember - the surgery was easy. I was able to bend a little afterwards. Spent a little while on crutches and started going to physical therapy. The only things that really hurt a ton were testing my maximum bernding capacity at therapy each week, and the PTs using the foam rollers on the muscles around my knee that were tight and in need of stretching.

All in all it wasn't bad. I needed Vicodin maybe the night I got back from the hospital, but otherwise just Ibuprofen if it got bad, and the usual other things.

Just make sure to stay upbeat, ice it, and FULLY DO ALL THE STRETCHING AND EXERCISES THEY TELL YOU TO. I slacked on mine a bit and had to end up going back the next year for another few weeks of it to have it fully heal.

Good luck! :wavey:

3. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

I broke my femur, patella (very hard to do so im told) and jacked up my ACL playing football back in 98 I believe. Went down to St. Lukes here in Houston for emergency surgery that day. The surgery itself was cake esp. being drug'd up on demerol. Few hours and alot of hardware later (2pins, 1plates, 2screws) I was resting up in a hospital bed for the next 2 days. Went home and started eating Pills for pain for the next few days 12weeks later started they took the pins out, shortly there after i started physical therapy. Its never workd like it used to from that day. Make sure you do all your stretching ect. that is listed. Best of luck with it all!

4. bruejam

bruejam Recovering Lurker

I had an ACL reconstruction in high school from soccer and a meniscus repair last year from... soccer. (I'm a little slow)

The ACL recovery was tough. As Memor already said, the first couple of weeks of PT were painful because of the maximum range of motion thing. If they don't get it moving quickly, you'll have a buildup of scar tissue that can require more surgery.

The best advice I can give is follow your doctor's and therapist's instructions as closely as possible, and once you're released from PT it wouldn't be a bad idea to start hitting the gym (if you don't already). Good luck!

5. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I see patients everyday with knee surgeries (replacements, acl/pcl ,etc damage)
    it gets better after surgery.
    basically after surgery, doctors will tell you how much weight you can put on that leg..getting up and being mobile is key. docs recommend you start pt right away.

i'm not sure if your doctor will prescribe you a cpm machine, but that helps with passive range of motion in your knee. basically the protocol for knee surgeries is that they try to get 90 degrees of flexion back in that knee within one week of surgery. the knee has a normal range of 145-150 degrees of flexion. it's gonna be hard, and like Memor said, the flexion capacity can hurt

overall, your recovery should go well if you do physical therapy and do what they tell you to do (as far as home exercises go)
    the knee is the largest joint in the body, so when you open that up and start reconstructing, it's gonna be pain. but when you start to see your improvement, the pain surpasses

good luck and keep us updated :)

6. toezter

toezter New Member

i can tolerate a great deal of pain, so i'm not too worried about it. i guess my only concern is, if there is pain, is it normal? i guess it is.

i will try to keep a log of PT and such after surgery.

thanks everyone, this is my first surgery ever, so a bit anxious in a way. plus it gets really boring when you don't work and can't drive a car (well i can but not recommended).

7. bruejam

bruejam Recovering Lurker

For the most part, the pain is going to occur when you are under the direct supervision of a physical therapist. As long as they say it's okay, you're fine. During my recovery, I always tried to keep an attitude of "as long as I know I'm not re-injuring anything, I'll push as hard as I can."

The surgery itself is easy. You go to sleep, you wake up, it's done. Plus, the pain medications are fantastic! Once you get through the first couple of weeks of therapy, you'll be just fine.

8. toezter

toezter New Member

well i just came back from pre-op today. i'll have to wait 2 weeks till getting into PT, since the LCL will need a longer period to heal. bummer.

they said after surgery i can do basic exercises like leg lifts, quad flexing, foot rotations, ect. no bending tho.

crossing fingers to be able to drive at the end of august for sure.

9. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Ive

-partially torn both of my ACL's and stretched my MCL's wrestling (one confirmed, the second one felt the exact same but i didn't want my wrestling season to end so i wrestled on it). They didn't require surgery. I was recommended rehab through the school AT, and i did it a little, basically when i had time. I really wish i'd gone and done it everyday, they ache like a motherfucker when the weather changes, and running positively sucks. I tryt o bike as much as i can, and that can be irritating

-this past spring a i smashed my left knee at sectionals and i wrestled on it for another week untll i was finally knocked out at districts(senior year, i was NOT quitting, i didn't/don't care if it was flopping on the mat, i was suiting up). I went to the doc the next week and he said it was severe bone bruise, internal hemmoraging (massive bruising like purple/green 10" both directions from knee cap internally), general skin bruising, and a touch of arthritus (at age 18 wonderful, lol) 6 weeks of Therapy and a week's supply of oral steroids later, we decided to scope it and see what was bothering it since it continued to swell up and wouldn't allow me to run or workout. He found bits and pieces of cartildge floating around, and my plica (some tissue on the innerside of the kneecap that works in conjunction w/ the synovial tissue) was overgrown from the trauma it took, so he trimmed that down, and found that that was rubbing/eating away at the cartilidge/bone, so he smoothed them down as well.

i'm currently in the middle of a 4 week Therapy session and i have a follow up in a week and a half. i had surgery a couple days before the 4th of july, so i'm nearing a month post-op. I regained my ability to climb stairs w/o pain about a week ago, and i can now ride my bike short distances. I'm going to request a few more weeks of PT to get me to the beginning of college. I hope i'm ready to go since wrestling conditioning starts mid sept. Do your PT and you should be alright, it sucks, but it's worth it, you may not realize it but trust me, i wish i'd done it when id injured them the first time, i have stairs as my everyday reminder.

Go buy Glucosamine, chrondroiten, and MSM from walmart/drugstore/kmart or nutrition store, it's a joint suppliment herbal thingy. It really does help, i notice it if i forget to take it. definitely recommended.

took me 2 weeks before i could drive, simply because i didn;t have enough flexbility to get my leg in the car, it was too swollen to move the damn thing haha

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn New Member

I am dealing with patellofemoral pain syndrome. I too wrestle and do brazilian jiu jitsu. I suspect I need surgery but have been told to go through the rehab first and then do surgery (by several people). I'm trying to be patient but it is hard.

11. Memor

Memor Active Member

Get creative with the crutches, rest it up a lot, follow all the directions on icing and stretching and it really won't be that bad of a time to go through. Considering you're fixing your knee in the long run, it's a tiny amount of struggle for a lot of reward.

The PTs will push you into a lot of pain, but it's for your own good - and maybe, just MAYBE, you'll luck out like I did and get the world's hottest physical therapist.

12. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

:madfawk:

there's a therapist in my clinic i want to do some nasty things w/

13. toezter

toezter New Member

its been two nights since the surgery. pain atm is very tolerable. i've been taking ketorolac 4 times a day, the oxycodone w/ tylenol for the first night and morning, and tylenol 3 after that. starting today i've only been on the ketorolac and ibuprofen 600mg.

so far i'm firing up as much as my leg muscles as possible. standing up and moving them forward to back, left to right.

14. Memor

Memor Active Member

I swear she walked into the room and was like "Hi I'm Andrea, I'll be your PT for the next 6 weeks!"

Best day EVER

15. toezter

toezter New Member

sorry for the LATE reply everyone, i do have a good excuse.

well...long story in a simple list order:

aug 1st, surgery. only shitty part was i couldn't pee for the longest time because of the nerve blocker. i had to get straight cathed. but anesthetics are fun for awhile (drunk feeling), not the puking part tho.[heh, after the surgery, i was in the recovery area where i tried to talk with the nurses, tho i couldn't see anyone. i obviously didn't make any sense either. i would start laughing hysterically also. then stop, my breathing would be short and the buzzer would go off indicating low oxygen in the blood. the nurses would repeatedly remind me to take deep breaths. this happened multiple times.

weekend after that, severe pain and needed assistance moving leg.

aug 9th, first PT. found that a LOT of drainage had leaked from the lateral incision, plus it was more swollen, red, and warm. sports medicine wanted to check it out. later was admitted into the ER for possible infection.

night of aug 9th into 10th, another surgery. cleaning out the knee to clear out infection. again i had to get straight cathed not once, but twice till i could void on my own.

aug 9th - 16th spent time in the hospital. found i had staph (MRSA). hospital food gets old after 2 days. all my nurses and NA's were great except one. very slow recovery.

16th to current, i'm taking antibiotics through an IV (PICC line) and pill form at home.

since the 25th, i've had longer and stronger fevers. doctors say its because my body is fighting the infection. although today has gone a lot better *knock on wood*

i've had to drop my classes for this semester. my motorcycle, which is still junked at the yard is accumulating an expensive bill ($10/day since 7/13), thanks to a family friend (who is a lawyer) that said he would take care of personal items in the accident. and from my actual lawyer for the personal injury, seems to be of no help, all he says is, "its hard to say now, we need to know how you are after you recover." thanks, funds are really low, idk how to start paying for certain items.

good news, i learned a lot in the hospital since i am going into nursing. i can move better now (still on crutches). 20*-35* flexion in one week, but no driving yet. living at my sisters for awhile since there is more hands on deck with brother in law and nephews. and there is no drama with my lady friend, who i should add has been very supportive and loving.

who would have thought a motorcycle accident would cause all this.

16. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

damn...that's it...I'm selling mine for sure.

17. toezter

toezter New Member

what is it and how much?

it was a total freak accident really, well kinda. i was going through an intersection while the car in the oncoming traffic took a left turn in front of me. i didn't have enough time to drop the bike, rather break :rolleyes: from what i gather, i hit the front right of her car. my head smashes into her windshield, losing consciousness. then i flip or something in the air and having my lower right leg take most of the impact. i got out with no scratches except for my feet, which my shoes were flung right off. otherwise my jacket suffered a giant hole on the side, where i found later my left ass/hip had a giant bruise.

conditions where dry. 10:30pm in a fairly well lit area. the police report said she didn't see me, and she failed to yield right of way. i rode a completely black 99' suzuki katana with a matte black helmet, NON reflective (A* airflow mesh) jacket, but did have some khaki's on.

next season, i'm going to look like a xmas tree when i ride at night and be uber cautious in intersections.

:x: GSXR600!!!

18. Coottie

Sorry not a sport bike....cruiser. BMW R1200C

19. Coottie

Ya know, in my motorcycle safety course, they said this was the #1 cause of motorcycle accidents....a motorist turning accross lane(s) of traffic that doesn't see the motorcyclist. This is what gets me really worried....I can be an absolutely bad ass rider, able to handle my bike in all conditions, not breaking any laws and someone that just happens to have a lapse in concentration (or worse) can cause me all sorts of problems.

Good luck man....I hope your recovery goes quickly.

20. sportsjunkie

good luck on your recovery...20-35 degrees increase in ROM is very good for just a week :)

21. toezter

toezter New Member

it was actually an increase of 15*. 20 to 35. i'll just keep pushing myself. PT doesn't want me to do any 'kicks' yet tho, since its really hard on the ACL.

swelling has gone down some. incisions are dry and healing, it'll show some nice scars. one thing that is kinda creepy, but not bad, is that my knee is popping and snapping a lot more than usual. they say its from the extra fluids in there, and isn't harmful.

22. toezter

toezter New Member

35* when entering the clinic today. 40* after some mild stretching. then after the machines 43*. of course there are some human errors in recording because she's just putting a protractor to my leg. but hell i'll buy it, gives me pleasure to hear those numbers increasing.

Infectious Disease clinic physician has reported that my blood cultures have been improving dramatically. thank you (new drug on the market) daptomycin. i'll have two more weeks on the home IV, then this god awful PICC line comes out, although its bad ass, yet annoying.

just this past weekend i started driving. it seems i CAN drive with a straight leg, although i do bend it in the car, my hip action has been a lot better. i can tell muscles are coming back and growing these past few weeks.

oh yeah, another thing, I DON"T NEED CRUTCHES ANYMORE!! i went down to one, then occasionally i'd walk around with non, but after seeing PT in the beginning of the week, she said i'm doing fine and can go crutchess. although i limp, hell i have my two hands back.

23. sportsjunkie

:rofl: @ protractor

it's a goniometer ;) :mamoru:

24. toezter

toezter New Member

no it was a protractor. semi circle. jk.. i've never used a goniometer, but now i know.

:bowdown:

25. toezter

toezter New Member

wednesday, i gained 10* from mondays 53*, hence 63*. i heart math.

i can only push 63* if i do some warm ups and push my leg for further flexion. otherwise i can't if i'm just using my leg muscles.

sigh, i want to get back into work.