GUN Any issues using 45gr .223?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, Oct 9, 2008.

1. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Local guy has 520 rounds of various ammo for sale for $125 some of which is 45gr Winchester Varmit ammo. It's not often I see 45gr .223 any known issues?

[​IMG]

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What are you shooting with it?

3. From what I've heard if you shoot a real fast bullet out of something like a 1:7 or 1:9 barrel it is possible for the projectile to tear itself apart. I've never done, and I've never seen it though.

4. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

paper

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Certainly possible... I've nuked shit out of a 220swift, and seen it plenty with big 30's. Launching shit at warp-9 speeds is the easiest way to show someone that not all bullets are created equal. Weight is not the issue here, bullet construction is. This is precisely the reason I shoot X's when I want to kill shit, cup and core stuff simply can't hang.

Out of a standard 223 remmy? Who knows... 1:7 is fast, but a 223 might not have the case capacity to make it happen. Not the biggest deal even if they do.... I've never seen/heard of one nuking in a tube and causing a problem; usually you will just notice by the lack of hits, or on rare occasion see the dustcloud in the air.

Then I'd offer him $100 and snatch them up. Cheap ammo is never a bad thing.

6. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

How are the Remington UMC rounds? Decent?

7. I've never shot UMC .223, but I've shot other UMC. It's fine ammo. It won't set world records, but there's nothing wrong with it as bulk ammo.

8. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

I shoot the shit out of UMC .223 for plinking ammo. Never had an issue with it.

9. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

the 45 grain stuff is mostly a varmit round. They turn ground hogs into red mist.

they say the suck out of a 8 or 7 twist barrel but I've shot them on the CQB stages and they were fine. I would not shoot them past 75 yards with any expectation of accuracy though. They run well in a 9 twist barrel.

as far as long range ammo, none of the 55 grain stuff meets my expectation. I'm kind of a snob it's my own reloads or 69gr black hills ammo.

11. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

how much you sell and ship the 45gr for?

I needs some