MIL Any info on FOB Brassfield-Mora?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by perry, Dec 15, 2007.

1. perry

perry burp

Mom got a Christmas card from a longtime friend (they really just exchange Christmas cards these days). He and my dad worked together in the Army quite a while ago. He left active duty and went in to the Reserves and was called up at some point and stationed in California. Then he decided to go back to active duty in the past year or two.

He wrote about the normal stuff, kids, wife, etc. that normal people write about in Christmas cards. He briefly mentioned what unit he is with now and that he is at FOB Brassfield-Mora but didn't say much else about it. Mom was asking me what that meant, and through Goggle we found that FOB Brassfield-Mora is in Samarra, Iraq. I could hear that she was rather concerned at hearing that.

Has anyone been there or know anyone that's been there recently? His job isn't one that normally requires a person to carry a gun (though we certainly understand why he'd be needed around the guys that do carry guns). How "forward" is FOB Brassfield-Mora? Anything you can tell me about the place?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

All I know about it is that my son was there, and at a smaller post in Samarra (Camp Olson), for a year. Samarra is where the Golden Mosque was. The bombing of this mosque in 2006 sparked off a country-wide blood bath between the Sunnis and the Shiites.

Google will give you a lot of details on both Samarra and FOB Brassfield-Mora.

3. Truk

Truk New Member

Samara, eh? In 04' that was a pretty shitty place to be.