Any Ideas On Why My Monitor Turns Off???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Squiggy, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy New Member

I'm leaning towards this being a virus, but has anyone ever heard of someone's monitor shutting off by itself? It's been happening for about a week now, and the reason I think it may be a virus is because it seems to happen when you go to open up something such as my web browser or Outlook Express. I first thought it may be my monitor, because it's a reconditioned Sony Multiscan G400 I have had for about 5 years now. But now that it seems to happen when I go to open something, makes me think it's a virus? I have a ton of virus scan programs, pop up blockers, etc. etc, but it still occurs.

Any input would be appreciated!

2. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Well, the change in the image may be stressing the monitor to the point where it turns off. It may have some built in safety features.

As a control, I would hook up another monitor to test it. Personally I've never heard of a virus that does that.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy New Member

I'm hoping you're right, I've been wanting a new flat screen monitor :0) This is a home computer, so I'll have to ask around to see about borrowing another monitor from someone.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does your web browser open with a blank white window? I've seen monitors get flakey when you suddenly go all bright white like that. Try turning the brightness and contrast way down before opening and see what happens. And how do you know its the monitor turning off? It could be the computer is crashing and the monitor goes to sleep when it stops getting a signal. What does the status LED on the front do? Go out? Go amber?

5. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Get a Benq monitor. They use AUO (Acer) panels, which are the best around.

My 15" Norwood Micro has an AUO panel with a 16ms response time, and it is a kick ass panel. Even though the monitor is analog only, the ADC is so good you would swear it was digital (NovaTek).

6. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Is the monitor shutting off completely or is it going into powersave mode? Check your settings in Windows Control Panel > Power Options and set your monitor to never turn off. I doubt that is what is causing it, but its worth a try.

7. Squiggy

Squiggy New Member

A friend is coming over to look at it who knows more then I do. If he solves this puzzle I'll post what the problem really is. I think it goes into what you would call power save mode, because I have an input 1 and 2 swith on the monitor that if you switch it over to #2 and back to #1 it comes back on. I can do that or either turn the power on and off for the monitor, not the whole computer. The status LED goes Amber when all this accurs.

8. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Sony monitors auto powerdown when they detect something running out of spec. Most likely the change in picture when you open a window is enough to trip it over the edge. Your monitor probably qualifies for sony's 'flat-rate' repair service which was about $325 for my GDM-F500R last time I checked. I still haven't decided if it's worth repairing mine :|.

http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

Honestly, though, unless you really like your monitor (And the tube is in absolutely perfect shape), it's probably not worth it.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy New Member

Update

I never found another monitor to use as a test to see if it was just my monitor. Although when the wife had me moving furniture around, when I hooked the monitor in question back up, it never turned on (Auto save mode). So, we finally broke down, (I'm a cheap bastard,) and bought a new true flat screen and haven't had a problem since. :x:

10. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

If you game 16ms response will get you ghosts. 12ms is good for gaming and the new 8ms is the best. What video card do you have?