Any ideas on the kingston 128GB solid state hard drive ssd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pussysmith, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I have the previous generation mac book pro and I am sick of the heat, lowered battery life, and slowness of my standard hard drive. I am going solid state! Will this Kingston work for me? Would I be able to just clone my HD over to it, install it and then run my computer the same way as before?

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=FO&scriteria=BA31648

2. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

SSD's heat up too.

i dont know about the performance stats though

3. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Performance is about 50% quicker loads on some applications and not a huge difference in others. Heat is down big time however. Eliminating the motor that has to spin up the hard drive along with the moving read arm really cools things down. I just want to make sure I can use this drive and clone it before installation.

4. quid

from everything i've read (which was a while ago, so things may be different) the performance varied tremendously between brands and models.

i can't imagine cloning this would be any different than cloning any other drive.

:dunno:

5. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Bought it and installed the 64gb Kingston SSD in my Macbook Pro. At first it wouldn't install using the Kingston drive. I took the SSD and put it into a different drive and then the mac recognized it and I was able to clone it. Speeds with the solid state are literally unreal. I can't believe I was using a spinny hard drive for so long. NEVER AGAIN!

6. quid

id love to see before and after x-bench.app tests is you still have that spinny drive laying around

:x:

7. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I have spinny around but I'm not taking this unibody apart again to stuff that in there. If I put it in an external closure it would be running through USB so it would extra slow. Take my word for it the Kingston 64gb solid state hard drive is a good upgrade. Probably any SSD is a good upgrade but I bought this one from microcenter and they matched the newegg price so I couldn't say no to a $134.99 SSD.

8. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Man this solid state is amazing. Too bad its not huge but it still has about 30 free gb on it and considering in the past 2-3 years I've only put like 30gb on the hd i should be ok. Question is: will snow leopard take up more space than the old school Tiger I am running?

9. quid

id bet that if it does the extra space would be negligible. Though i remember reading somewhere along the way that it took up less space than leopard.

im very tempted to do this to my mini :noes: